Italian tomatoes pizza sauce pasta peppers garlic

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Plump_and_Juicy

Plump_and_Juicy
  • Members
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 10:01 PM

Woe is me - I can't deal with tomatoes anymore. Not in salsa, not in ketchup, not in Italian cooking, and not in soup, nowhere. Do you have any ideas about meat and/or vegetarian sauces I could substitute? I already make pesto and an Aglio Olio. I'm also thinking pasta sauce. Mushrooms are out, but peppers, onions and garlic are on the fly list. Garlic sauce would be good but I don't know how to make it. Thanks!

#2 _RC

_RC
  • Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:29 PM

I've never tried using this for pizza but it is very versatile. I use it on meat for the BBQ, tossed with veggies and pasta, or even to fry an egg for breakfast. For pizza you may want to cut back on the jalapenos and crushed red pepper but I'd bet it would work. 

1 cup olive oil
4 fresh jalapeno peppers coarsely chopped
2 fresh poblano peppers coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
2 teaspoon salt
8 turns freshly ground pepper
3 tablespoon minced garlic

Directions:
Combine all of the ingredients except the garlic in a saucepan over high heat. Cook, stirring, for 4 minutes. Stir in the garlic, remove from heat, and allow to cool to room temperature. When the mixture is cool, pour into the bowl of a food processor or blender and pulse several times until smooth.

It's a modified version of this recipe from Emeril.  

http://www.foodnetwo...tml?oc=linkback

#3 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 07:12 AM

I'm with you. Tomatoes aren't my ally!

Here are a few ideas which will need some googling

1. Tarte Flambee: I let a tub of nancy's yogurt sit out for 1-2 days at room temp as a sauce then top with caramelized onions, parcooked bacon and finished with chives and black pepper. Optional: Whole Clams.
  2. Gricia: buy some jowl bacon at freddies, add pecorino and black pepper, Pecorino and thinly sliced high quality onions
  3. Cacio e pepe: a blend of Pecorino and Parmesan with black pepper or Sichuan pepper
  4. Gochujang: it’s salty, so you need to watch your other ingredients but I like topping it with thinly sliced garlic, green onions, zuchini and Fontina (or velveeta) cheese.
  5. Breakfast: Cheese, Bacon, then ladle the cracked egg on top
  6. Sardou: Creamed Spinach or kale, Artichoke Hearts, ladled eggs
  7. Fennel Sausage: day old Nancy’s, thinly sliced fennel, fennel sausage, onion, mozz
  8. Yellow mustard, saurkraut, sliced bratwurst

That should get you started.

#4 WAfoodie

WAfoodie
  • Members
  • 547 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:21 AM

Additional breakfast pizza, a Carbonara option:

Beat two eggs with enough parm/pecorino to make a thick sauce. Add blk pepper. Spread on “raw” pizza dough. Top with pre-crisp pancetta, little mozz, sprinkling of olive oil and pecorino then bake. The egg will bake into the raw dough. Finish with more oil or cheese. For extra indulgence, brush melted butter onto surface of raw pizza dough prior to topping.

I've had a pizza similar to this at Buffalo Pizza in NorCal and as seen at Forcella in NYC.

#5 Nacho_B

Nacho_B
  • Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 03:07 PM

Hola,

Hummus works well on a pizza, especially if made a bit olive oil heavy.

If you get tired of basil pesto, then other "alt pesto" possibilities are:

asparagus pesto (this is awesome stuff, but I'm a fiend for asparagus)

olive pesto

arugula pesto

I've had all three before and I think they'd work well. A red pepper pesto might work too, with the added benefit of maintaining the red sauce color!

¡Buena suerte!

#6 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:32 AM

Dove Vivi often has cool stuff with no tomatoes I seem to remember some butternut squash and/or roasted red pepper sauces.

#7 friedalighthouse

friedalighthouse
  • Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:50 AM

Hi, Plump and Juicy! I was happy to see you post.

A couple of my favorite Apizza Scholls pies are tomato-free, and are probably possible to make at home:

New York White Pie
Mozzarella (whole milk & fresh), pecorino romano/grana padano, ricotta, lots of fresh garlic, herbs, black pepper, extra virgin olive oil

Bacon Bianca
Whole milk mozzarella, pecorino romano/grana padano, lots of fresh garlic, herbs, black pepper, extra virgin olive oil and our house cured bacon

#8 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 04:17 PM

Did a saag paneer pizza last night.

#9 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 05:20 PM

I didn't know where else to put this, so I decided to put here, in the last thread that Mara posted to this site.

It is with a very heavy heart that I tell you that we have lost Plump_and_Juicy, aka Mara Nesbitt-Aldrich.  She passed at home in the wee hours last Friday.  I think that a memorial is being planned by her husband Roger and friends to take place mid-March.

PnJ was a loving and generous woman who not only loved food, she loved sharing it with others.  She was an avid host, for several years, of our PFG.org Holiday Cookie Exchange and came to events ready to share food, laughter, fun and community.

Personally, to me she was a lovely friend and we spent many times laughing and singing and, of course, eating.  I will miss her, and this world is definitely a bit worse off for not having her in it, as is this site.

Goodbye Mara, I hope that there's plenty of awesome food crawls wherever you are now.

Never give up! Never surrender!

#10 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 20 February 2015 - 11:07 AM

Thanks, Jill.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#11 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,747 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 20 February 2015 - 07:17 PM

Reading into the subtext of this final thread she started, it appears at the end she wanted to be true to herself. We chase culinary pleasures, however fleeting and capricious they prove to be. To do so is to be alive. I think ultimately this is a big part of why the majority of the people on this board read and contribute. That you posted this announcement on this thread is fitting. Thank you Jill for the kind and bittersweet tribute.

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#12 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 11:26 AM

Thanks, I really appreciate it...that was the hardest post I have ever had to write for this board.

#13 vj

vj
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 01:32 PM

Thanks, Jill, for posting, and thank you, pollo elastico...

#14 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 04:41 PM

Thanks Jill, there's really so few of us overall who make up the majority of this board.     It's tough to lose one of the greats ones.

#15 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 08:45 AM

For those that are interested, there will be a Celebration of Mara's Life on March 22nd from 2-5pm at O'Connor's Vault in Multnomah Village- Portland.

Sadly, I am going to be out of town that weekend, and so will not be able to be there.