• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Nacho_B

Nacho_B
  • Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 02:51 PM

Hola,

A friend of mine took me here, and it was excellent. This place is right next to PSU. I guess it used to be a cart, but they're now a small restaurant. 

I had the chicken and rice/beans. The beans are cooked with the rice. Not sure what they call it in Belize, but I've seen it called moro, moros y christianos, o arroz moro elsewhere. This version had a bit of coconut flavor to it. It was very tasty. The real star though was el pollo. Thighs rubbed in "Belizean spices" roasted and then stewed. They have plastic knives, but you don't need them. A child could dissect that chicken thigh with a plastic fork. Very, very tasty chicken. The plate comes with a small salad, either a mixed salad blend or arugula (which is what I went with). It comes with a small side of a citrus vinaigrette. It also comes with 1 or 2 hot sauces of your choice. They're listed on a chalkboard in order of spicy heat. They had a grapefruit hot sauce (salsa picante de toronja) that was excellent. I'm a fiend for grapefruit (as well as hot sauce) and I've never seen that before. The other hot sauces that I tried were also very good. They import them from Belize and sell them for $5 a bottle. 

They do a tri-tip plate and red beans in coconut curry too. It's a small menu but I'll never work my way through it. There is no way I'll get anything but that chicken when I'm there. I could eat that every day and not get tired of it. It was really tasty, and reminded me of the Caribbean. It's now my favorite chicken plate in town, and a new hot sauce provider for me. Good stuff. 

1503 SW Broadway

They don't have a website, but they're on twitter and Facebook. 

¡Buen provecho!

#2 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 03:05 PM

have you done Boriken yet?

#3 Nacho_B

Nacho_B
  • Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 11:54 AM

have you done Boriken yet?

Hola

I haven't been to Boriken. I checked their website and it looks good. It looks like a different class of restaurant though. Love Belizean is a Caribbean/Latin American plate lunch for ~$8.00 (US). Boriken's prices are a step or 2 up from there. I'm sure it's excellent, but that's a bit much for me at this time. $22 for un plato de lambi is tough for me to see. I realize that there aren't any conch for many, many miles from here, but I'd be tempted to take the money I'd spend on a meal at Boriken and put it in a jar to fund my next trip to el Caribe.

Maybe I'll check it out someday as a celebration or to really impress a lady (or a good friend) but I like Love Belizean because of the taste as well as the value (with a bit of nostalgia mixed in).

This place doesn't have much ambiance. Food is served in clam-shell boxes with plastic "silverware" without much ceremony. It's still kind of a cart, but they ditched the cart for a roofed space in a building. Good food though, a great value, and nice people. The lack of ambiance and the way the food is served is exactly like the places I used to eat from in La Republica Dominicana too. It's tasty food served in a way that makes me feel (at least a little bit) like I'm back there. That may be what I like most about it.

I appreciate the tip about Boriken though. I'll file that away as a possibility someday.

Buen provecho,

Nacho_B

#4 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:10 AM

I love their cart in the TidBit pod on SE Division. I'm not even a fan of rice and beans, but theirs are delicious, as is the chicken.  I like the tri tip too, but not as much as I like the chicken. The sweet hot sauce is tasty too, if you like that kind of thing.

I love their food and they are a really solid choice in a pod with a lot of good choices.

Never give up! Never surrender!

#5 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 09 February 2015 - 12:14 PM

Love Belizean

1503 SW Broadway

(503)901-0421

(503)490-2588

Monday -- Friday until 7:30pm

Saturday until 4pm. 

Closed Sunday

I am pretty sure these are the hours, though they seem to not adhere to them too closely. Call first. Also, no beer/booze, so take-out is a good option here.

Fork-tender, flavorful chicken thighs and tri-tip slices served with hearty red beans and rice (and seemingly bag salads with bright, citrussy dressing). Ultimate soulful, rainy-day comfort food. Also ordered the chicken curry and rice which is a soup. Damn good flavor.

#6 Matticus

Matticus
  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 02:11 PM

The owner did say she was getting a liquor license and some beers on tap in the near future as well.

I work real close by and can't be happier that the old cart turned brick in mortar near by.

#7 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 12:52 PM

They still have their cart at the TidBit pod on SE Division!  YAY!  ;o)

Never give up! Never surrender!