Thai Recipe Help

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 _RC

_RC
  • Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 05:22 PM

Would someone be kind enough to suggest a Thai dish that can be made with this sauce? Searching "sweet thai noodle sauce" is getting me nowhere. Thank you. :)

DSCF3889_zps114b6cdd.jpg

#2 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,747 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 15 November 2014 - 04:32 PM

What's the ingredients list on the back? I assume it's a thick-ish gravy, with standard Thai flavors (galangal, lemongrass, chilies, coconut milk, palm sugar, fish sauce). Soak some rice vermicelli or broad "chips" (i.e. the ones used in pad kee mao), and stir fry with thanh son tofu (available at any asian market - try to the lemongrass/chili infused version, it's better than many meats) and those small dried shrimp (chopped), fresh veggies (bell pepper, onion, mushroom, garlic, maybe some gai lan or broccoli or some other green), top with this (heated) sauce, some boiled chicken egg or quail egg, chiffonade of fresh herb like thai basil, cilantro, chopped green onions. Better yet, if you can get fresh noodles from JC Rice Noodle (also available at many Asian markets and just as cheap as dried noodles) it will be a solid dish.

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#3 _RC

_RC
  • Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 06:31 PM

Pretty close on the ingredients. ;) In order listed: coconut milk, water, sugar, shallot, soybean oil, garlic, mung bean, dried shrimp, tamarind juice, lime juice, salt, & dried chili. 

Your recipe sounds great as well as the flavored tofu. T.Y.

#4 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 15 November 2014 - 06:54 PM

This is the nam ya curry paste, like this one:

http://www.thaitable...mya-curry-paste

It's used for things like one of my favorites, kanom jeen nam ya.  If you search for "nam ya" curry or variations on that, like "nam yaa" curry you will find various recipes using similar pastes.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#5 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 06:57 PM

I searched to make sure I was remembering correctly and it looks like I may have been a little off.  They have a separate nam ya curry paste that has fish in it.  The one you have is also for kanom jeen, but I think it's a little different.

http://www.templeoft...-4532300184.php

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#6 _RC

_RC
  • Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 08:45 PM

I shop at H-Mart for most of my Asian food needs as it's just down the street. I saw the orange colored Nam Yah as well as about 15 others. 

Curiosity got the best of me so here's what it looks like. First flavor is sweet followed by the salty shrimp with very little heat to it. Could this be a Pad Thai sauce?

DSCF3893_zpsfc4b46f5.jpg

#7 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 09:11 PM

I don't think so.  They have a different pad thai sauce and I don't believe it has coconut in it.  It's a lot darker, too.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#8 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 09:27 PM

Okay, found a place where they give the Thai name for it, which is nam prik.  That's a pretty broad category.  I don't have any of my Thai cookbooks here at work, but some of my favorites are things like nam prik ong, which is like Thai bolognese.  Here's a recipe using prik king paste instead, but I imagine you can just substitute.

http://importfood.co...namprikong.html

Here's a kanom jeen nam prik recipe where you can just skip over the paste-making process.

http://www.bigoven.c...nam-prik/114994

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#9 _RC

_RC
  • Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 11:05 AM

Okay, found a place where they give the Thai name for it, which is nam prik.  That's a pretty broad category.  I don't have any of my Thai cookbooks here at work, but some of my favorites are things like nam prik ong, which is like Thai bolognese.  Here's a recipe using prik king paste instead, but I imagine you can just substitute.

http://importfood.co...namprikong.html

Here's a kanom jeen nam prik recipe where you can just skip over the paste-making process.

http://www.bigoven.c...nam-prik/114994

Perfect. Thanks Nick!

#10 TastyTidbits1

TastyTidbits1
  • Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 08:25 AM

The ingredients look very similar to what is in Mee Kati. I'll ask tomorrow.