Photo

Lacinato Kale Salad with Dried Cranberries, Cashews, Apple + Curried Dressing

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 09:28 AM

This recipe was shared with me by a coworker. I have a neighbor's prolific Asian pear tree hanging into our yard so I use Asian pears to make this...I also think regular pears would work well too. I used slivered almonds because that's what I had...although I found some raw cashews in the freezer recently and will be using those up in the future.Usually don't have cabbage around, and it doesn't suffer without it. Also, I hate honey so I used a bit of maple syrup.

This salad happens to be vegan (if you don't use honey), and it disappears at potlucks quickly - it is a crowd pleaser. I often cook some boneless, skinless chicken thighs that I season with salt, pepper, and just a bit of the same curry powder I use in the dressing and cut them up and serve it alongside so it can be a full meal if you like a big salad for a meal (I do). I am sure you can do that with tofu too. The curry chicken sausage that New Seasons makes also is a good meat add-on for this salad, if you want more protein.

If you have a small food processor or mini-blender, that's a good thing to use to make the dressing. It wasn't quite enough volume for the Blendtech, so beware using a regular sized blender for it.

Lacinato Kale Salad with Dried Cranberries, Cashews, Apple + Curried Dressing

This yields about 6-8 starter salads.

Prep Time

30 min

Total Time

30 min

To arrange salad

1.      1 bunch lacinato kale (10 oz)

2.      1/4 small head red cabbage, finely shredded (about 2 cups)

3.      1 cup raw cashews

4.      1/2 cup dried cranberries

5.      1/2 Brabeburn apple, unpeeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch dice

To make curried dressing

1.      1/2 Braeburn apple, peeled, cored, and chopped

2.      1 1/2 tb apple cider vinegar

3.      3 tsp raw agave or honey

4.      2 small garlic cloves

5.      1 1/2 tsp curry powder

6.      1/4 tsp salt

7.      1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

8.      1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Instructions

1.      Toss kale, cabbage, cashews, cranberries and apple together in a large serving bowl.

2.      In a blender, combine apple, vinegar, agave, garlic, curry powder, and 1/4 tsp salt, blend until smooth. With blender, running and lid slightly ajar, add oil in a slow steady stream.

3.      Pour dressing over kale mixture and with clean hands, massage dressing into salad elves.

4.      Allow mixture to marinate for 30 minutes before serving to allow kale leaves to wilt and turn tender. Season to taste w/ salt and pepper.

Never give up! Never surrender!