• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Adam

Adam
  • Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 01:02 PM

Umai PDX

SE 33rd Ave. & Hawthorne (behind the former Mag-Big)

503-502-4428

umaipdx.com

Nothing like a nice hot bowl of soup on an 85-degree day, amirite?

There's actually a pod of four carts hidden in this alleyway just north of Hawthorne (there's a bagel cart, a Philly cheesesteak cart, and Holy Mole as well). I ordered the shio ramen ($10), which comes with pork shoulder, marinated egg, scallions, and pickled shiitakes. 

15041583999_6e7fd3b732_z.jpg

Excellent broth and excellent noodles, but what really made this for me was the pork shoulder and shiitakes. The pork shoulder was cooked to a crisp on the outside but moist and tender on the inside, a really lovely textural contrast and intense porky flavor. And the pickled shiitakes were just little flavor bombs of umami. The bowl offered the right balance between the amount of noodles vs. meat vs. broth (my biggest problem with, for example, Boke Bowl). 

There are a lot of ramen bowls I haven't tried in Portland. But from what I have tried, this was easily the best.

Adam Lindsley

This Is Pizza

#2 FoodKid

FoodKid
  • Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 02:11 PM

That cinches it. I walk buy this place all the time, but I always pass over it in favor of Carte Blanche or Duende. I'm definitely going now.

#3 herbs de provence

herbs de provence
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 04:16 PM

This place was great while it lasted, but closed this summer: http://umaipdx.com