2 replies to this topic

#1 Laksa

Laksa
  • Members
  • 788 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 07:54 PM

Cart at Base Camp Brewery
503 97 GONZO

The web site is too clever by half and there's no indication of hours or days but if you can get beyond that THIS PLACE IS PRETTY GOOD.

I started cooking middle eastern food a couple of years ago and immediately learned that most ME restaurants get away with serving pretty dismal food. But having read some positive reviews we ordered take-out and enjoyed the meal quite a lot. You get some interesting sauces including zhug, which I'd read about but never tasted, and the hummus is among the best I've ever had. The felafel (never to be confused with loofah) were over cooked, and the olive-pickle mix is good but not great. Still, pita warmed up nicely and tasted good, the salad was terrific, and I am delighted to have this cheap option nearby.

#2 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 05:14 PM

How was the shawarma?   

#3 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:45 PM

I'll answer my own question.    It's pretty damn tasty.

Really cool that you can order from the bar from both Koi Fusion and Gonzo and pay for your beer and food all at once.. then they'll bring it to your table when it's done.

It was happy hour pricing, so everything was like a buck or 2 cheaper than on the menu online.. the falafel plate was 9 bucks, the shwarma fries were 11... hummus was 4 and fries were 3.  

We had the kids with us, so we sat outside.    Those shwarma fries are fucking killer.. the sauces make them.   Great mix of flavors... and I like the beer here too.