Banh Cuon Tanh Dinh

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#81 Flymonkey

Flymonkey
  • Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 07:48 PM

Does anyone know if they use MSG? I really enjoy BCTD thanks to recommendations from this board, and want to take a friend, but she is extremely allergic to MSG. I've tried looking up their phone number but couldn't find it on any of the sites that list reviews (most come back to here). I don't believe they do as I've never tasted it and it all is so fresh, but thought one of you may know for sure.

#82 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 18 August 2008 - 08:07 PM

I doubt they use MSG, but they probably use lots of glutamates, like soy sauce and fish sauce. So if your friend has a TRUE MSG allergy (ie, can't eat soy sauce, fish sauce, tomatoes, parmesan cheese, etc), then they're in trouble. But if they just have a faux fear of something they read about on the interwebs or heard from a witch doctor, then just tell them they don't use it and enjoy your meal.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#83 Napzard

Napzard
  • Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 08:35 AM

So we go in for our usual meal here. Karen, Tai's sister sits down and chats with us to let us know they are going to be closing for good, and today would be the last day. This was Sunday.

I came from a background of a family ran restaurant, we had 6 kids to help. Tai and his sister are only 2. I feel for them and know the feelings of stress and the need to be with family. We ordered as much as we could that day, Karen even ziplocked up some food for us to freeze. Exchanged phone numbers and hoped that some day they would be involved in some kitchen because we have just lost some of the best Vietnamese food in Portland.

#84 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 23 October 2008 - 08:37 AM

That is sad.

Best regards,

Amanda

#85 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 23 October 2008 - 08:48 AM

Major bummer. I wish them the best.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#86 philthyanimal

philthyanimal
  • Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 12:02 PM

NOOO!!! I was wanting to go there today too!

#87 Denise

Denise
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 12:42 PM

Damn

#88 philthyanimal

philthyanimal
  • Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 06:50 PM

i just went to the fubbonn market and i wanted to peer thru the old space that bctd once occupied to relive the fond memories of the fabulous bo lat lot, so when i walked up to the place i noticed a sign from fubbonns management group posted. it said that BCTD has not paid their rent and that the management group was going to seize the rest of the items and equipment. i thought that was kind of poor taste for them to air out the dirty laundry like that since tai was such a nice guy. i'm going to miss that place and tai, and portland has just lost one of its vietnamese gems.

#89 Flymonkey

Flymonkey
  • Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 08:42 AM

Oh nooooooooooooo!

I took my friend with the MSG allergy (true allergy) and in talking with the owner, he actually marked everything "safe" on a take out menu for her to review and then took extra pains to work with the kitchen to ensure nothing extra was put in on her dishes. She was thrilled.

Well, I made it there three times before they closed. How sad...

#90 Napzard

Napzard
  • Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 09:39 AM

i just went to the fubbonn market and i wanted to peer thru the old space that bctd once occupied to relive the fond memories of the fabulous bo lat lot, so when i walked up to the place i noticed a sign from fubbonns management group posted. it said that BCTD has not paid their rent and that the management group was going to seize the rest of the items and equipment. i thought that was kind of poor taste for them to air out the dirty laundry like that since tai was such a nice guy. i'm going to miss that place and tai, and portland has just lost one of its vietnamese gems.

This is interesting. I just got off the phone with Karen, they locked her out. She was never late on any rent payments, she just pays rent at the end of the month and by her closing before the month, the management took this to mean she defaulted. She has been trying to reconcile with them through attorneys. Just sad.

To those who have sent me PM's. They will do catering still, her mom is wanting to keep this going. But not until things cool down. She said in a couple to few weeks. I will pass on the phone number when she gives me the ok.

Tai has a job interview today lol. Go Tai!!!

#91 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 24 October 2008 - 10:00 AM

Please keep us posted, Napzard. That way we can continue to support them wherever they go and whatever they do if we so desire. Good luck, Tai!

Best regards,

Amanda

#92 philthyanimal

philthyanimal
  • Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 04:13 PM

This is interesting. I just got off the phone with Karen, they locked her out. She was never late on any rent payments, she just pays rent at the end of the month and by her closing before the month, the management took this to mean she defaulted. She has been trying to reconcile with them through attorneys. Just sad.

To those who have sent me PM's. They will do catering still, her mom is wanting to keep this going. But not until things cool down. She said in a couple to few weeks. I will pass on the phone number when she gives me the ok.

Tai has a job interview today lol. Go Tai!!!

I hope that things work out for them. G'luck tai.

#93 philthyanimal

philthyanimal
  • Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 02:40 PM

I was just looking at Sauces webpage and saw pictures of BCTD. I miss this place so much *tear*.