Photo

Cuban Roast Pork with Mojo Criollo

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:50 PM

Wow, this was sooooo good! Very easy too.

My notes:

-Made it with a 4-5lb. picnic cut (no skin, trimmed) from Tails & Trotters we picked up at the PSU Farmers' Market (saved us a trip to their store).

-I used a whole head of garlic in the marinade and just chopped it fine instead of grating it, which worked well (I got a new Kitchen Aid stick blender that came with a mini-chopper attachment and it did a great job).

-I marinated it overnight.

-I used whatever olive oil we had on hand...there is so much garlic in this dish, who can taste the olive oil?!

-I did not use the blood oranges...which was fine...they are really just for color.

-I used less than 1/6 cup of oil for the mojo sauce and I cooked it a bit longer - probably about 5-10 minutes, to cook the onions and garlic a bit more (my preference, I do not like eating raw garlic/onions)

http://www.food.com/...-criollo-107594

1 (5 lb) pork roast, trimmed of fat
1 head of grated fresh garlic
2 tablespoons crushed dried oregano
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly grated pepper
8 oranges, juice of, Valencia
6 limes, juice of
1/2 cup blood orange juice (juice of 2 oranges) (optional)
1/4 cup red wine
2 tablespoons light tasting olive oil, plus
1/4 cup light tasting olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, sliced and separated into 1/4 inch thick rings

Directions:

1-Combine 1/2 of the grated garlic, all of the dried oregano, 2 teaspoons salt and the pepper into a paste.

2-Score the trimmed roast with a knife point and rub the paste into the roast, then place roast in a gallon freezer bag or other dish/container that will fit in the refrigerator.

3-Pour juice of 3 oranges, juice of 3 limes, the red wine, and 2 teaspoons of the lite olive oil over the roast, seal bag and turn the bag several times to combine the ingredients.

4-Place in refrigerator for at least 3 hours, or the day before you plan to serve.

5-Heat oven to 350°F.

6-Place roast and marinade in a roasting pan, cover with foil, and roast until the meat falls apart when pulled with a fork, 3 to 4 hours, up to 6 depending on the cut- it must become fork tender.

7-Remove roast from oven and let it rest for 20 minutes, then pull roast into shreds with a fork, leaving the meat in the pan juices- it's ready to serve.

8-Prepare Mojo Criollo: put onion slices in a bowl deep enough for the onions to be covered with the juice (I use a 2-cup glass measuring cup).

9-Put the rest of the fresh grated garlic, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, juice of 3 limes and juice of 5 oranges and the optional juice of 2 blood oranges over the onions, press down to make sure onions are submerged in the juice.

10-Allow the onions to marinate in this mixture for at least 20 minutes (important step).

11-Heat 1/4 cup of the lite olive oil in a skillet.

12-Quickly and carefully, pour the onions and all the juices into the hot oil and"stir fry" for about 2 to 3 minutes, just to soften the onions.

13-Pour the Mojo into a serving dish and serve with the roast on the side.

Sue enjoyed the meat as tacos, I had some on leftover mashed potatoes...and we will be eating it at least 2 more times this week, I am sure.  YUM!

Never give up! Never surrender!