This is from Food52 and originally called for broccoli. But since we've become addicts of Brussels sprouts rabe in this house, I decided to make it with that instead. We also used Farro pasta that only Pastaworks seems to sell. Very nutty taste that compliments this recipe well.
Just follow the recipe, and sub in the rabe. Roasting it on the sheet pan and everything. It was done in about 15 - 20 minutes. Watch it closely because the leaves crisp up quickly. Slice the stems thinner if they're thick, because they need to be done in time with the leaves. What comes off this sheet pan is kind of like fried Brussels sprouts leaves, crisp little things that shatter on the tongue. Fantasitc. Tossed in the pasta with the gremolata breadcrumbs, this is a winner.
Pic with the rabe and farro pasta:
Broccoli Aglio e Olio with Gremolata Breadcrumbs
By healthierkitchen on Food52
Serves 4 as a main course, more as a side dish
For the broccoli
- Salt, to taste
- 1 large bunch broccoli, cut into florets (about 6 cups)
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus 2 tablespoons
- 3/4 pounds spaghetti, whole wheat or semolina, both work fine
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 fat anchovy fillets
- 1 teaspoon Aleppo pepper
For the "gremolata" bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1/3 cup bread crumbs (I use whole wheat)
- Heat oven to 425° F.
- Put a pot of salted water on to boil for the spaghetti.
- Place broccoli florets on a half sheet pan. Drizzle 2 tablespoons olive oil over top and toss to coat. Sprinkle a little kosher or sea salt over top. Roast in oven for 15 to 20 minutes. You want them to cook through and brown a little. Throw the little tiny florets and bits of broccoli into the pan as well -- they will crisp up a bit and provide a nice crunch.
- Once the water is boiling, add the pasta and cook to "al dente" according to directions on the package.
- Heat a high-sided sauté pan, with enough room for the whole recipe, over medium to medium-low heat. Add the 1/4 cup olive oil and then the 5 cloves of garlic. Let the garlic soften and brown a little, but not burn. Add the anchovies and stir until the anchovies dissolve. Add the Aleppo pepper and a sprinkle of salt. Once everything is mixed, leave the burner on very low to keep this warm.
- Heat up a small skillet over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add the remaining garlic and let it soften and lightly brown. Add the lemon zest and parsley, and then the bread crumbs and mix well. Lower burner to medium-low and let the bread crumb mixture toast lightly.
- Once the broccoli is well roasted, add it to the pan with the garlic and anchovy. Mix well to coat.
- Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water and drain the pasta. Add the pasta to the pan and toss well. If the mixture seems dry, add some of the pasta water a few splashes at a time.
- Add about 3/4 of the bread crumb mixture to the pan and mix well.
- Once the pasta mixture is in a serving dish, sprinkle the remaining bread crumbs over the top