Photo

GQ's Alan Richman Names Roe, Sweedeedee to Top 25

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 crepeguy

crepeguy
  • Members
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Purveyor of skinny pancakes.

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:10 PM

http://www.gq.com/li...ts-alan-richman

I haven't been to Roe (yet), but I have eaten at Sweedeedee and enjoyed it. Their food is indeed delicious. 

Another recent topic on this board mentioned the "order at the counter" service at Bollywood Theater and I had inquired as to whether they stopped taking orders if all the seats/table were full. This was my only complaint about Sweedeedee. You order at the counter, and then wait for a table in a very small space. You can wait outside, but it's best described as a controlled chaos. No sooner had we sat down, our meals arrived. Had it been another minute or two, we would have been stuck standing with plates of eggs in our hands.

To give them the benefit of the doubt, they may have changed things up accordingly. I don't know. I don't minding waiting for great food, but I sure don't want to be stuck standing with my food in hand while other diners sit around chewing the proverbial fat. (People love to linger over brunch.)

My question is: does this style of service warrant a "25 Best New Restaurants in America" rating? I guess it does, since Alan Richman says it's so, but does this now take service out of the equation altogether? 

#2 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:49 PM

Had it been another minute or two, we would have been stuck standing with plates of eggs in our hands.

Are you sure?  At MMM we do the same, but we pay attention and hold orders until the group is seated.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#3 crepeguy

crepeguy
  • Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:55 PM

Between the time we sat and the time our food arrived was no more than a minute. It was tight. I mean, people got up, we took the table immediately, and I actually bussed the coffee cups and water glasses from the table myself. A minute later, our food arrived.  But to answer your question, I'm not for sure. I've read their Yelp reviews and it appears there's a lot of anxiety about food arriving before being sat, but it doesn't appear to happen. I couldn't tell you how they do it, however. 

#4 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:34 PM

That feeling always gives me great anxiety.  I'm so glad Nick mentioned that they watch the tables & orders like that because there have a been a couple of times I've felt panicked wondering if we were going to be stuck without seats and food coming out but it always seemed that we "luck out" and get a table before the food comes.  I never knew that restaurants actually watch for this stuff.  It's kind of a relief to know that.  We got stuck once at Pine State but when we told them we didn't have seats, they offered to hold the food or wrap it to go.  Still gives me anxiety though.  

#5 crepeguy

crepeguy
  • Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:25 PM

Yes, I think Nick's policy is best (and to be upfront with the customer as to what the deal is).

At Sweedeedee, the food is good, but it was all a big mystery. When will I sit? Who's monitoring the tables? How long will my food take, etc.? I would argue that, being a restaurant with tasty food, quaint atmosphere and quirky service, it stands out as being one of Portland's better brunch options. Could I rate it as being one of America's top 25 new restaurants? To put it kindly: probably not.

#6 nate

nate
  • Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:52 PM

As long as there aren't a bunch of asshats sending someone to hold a table while they wait in line and order for the group, I don't mind this setup. Unfortunately, there are a LOT of inconsiderate entitled asshats in this world. A few places post signs for the ignorant and/or overly self-centered about the proper behavior in this situation (pretty sure Pine State was one of them), but I wish they all did (fwiw, I've never had this problem at MMM cuz I've never been there when it was that crowded).