East Glisan Pizza Lounge

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 FoodKid

FoodKid
  • Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:09 AM

East Glisan Pizza opened on Friday in the space previously occupied by Eldorado. Chef Vallery Markel did time at Oven and Shaker as well as Pok Pok. I only got to have a couple slices of leftovers from friends, but just based on those, I'm pretty excited for this place.

8001 NE Glisan

Portland OR, 97213

Sun - Sat: 5pm - Midnight

https://eastglisan.squarespace.com/

#2 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:09 PM

Thanks for the heads up. Looking forward to checking it out.

Menu and they have a gluten free option too.

Am I the only dyslexic person that sees Sun - Sat: 5pm - Midnight as open only two nights a week at first glance?

They're open Seven days a week 5pm to Midnight according to the posted link.

Edited for Clarity.

#3 Adam

Adam
  • Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:58 PM

I spoke with them the other day and it sounds like they may eventually move to 6 days a week, with Mondays closed. They are closed today, but not sure if and when that will become permanent.

Adam Lindsley

This Is Pizza

#4 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:11 PM

Ordered a pizza to go by phone and had a beer while I waited the last few minutes for the pizza to finish. Very good pizza in my book. Had a blistered crust with a bit of char. I'll be back.

Nice space too. If it wasn't for the new paint smell it would look and feel like it had been there for years. Half a dozen beers on tap and some interesting looking cocktails. Very nice folks.

They opened last Friday and did take yesterday (Monday) off after all the work getting open, but according to Steven, who was behind the bar and was one of the folks I talked to they are open seven days a week.

Great addition to the Montavilla Neighborhood.

#5 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:27 AM

I too ordered a pie to go (and a chopped salad) and ended up waiting at the bar having a drink too (a Root Beast - ouzo and root beer - deliciously licorice-y!)...it's very new, they are getting their feet under them.

The sausage pie (with tomato sauce, mozz, ricotta and green olives) was very good. A bit thicker crust than I usually like - but it was a good crust with really nice char/blister and good flavor. I wish there was a bit more on it - the outer ring is a bit wide and it is sparingly sauced and topped but everything on it was of good quality and quite tasty. (I have to admit that I picked off the green olives, finding that although I like them, I don't prefer them on my pizza.) I really liked the sausage they used on the pie. I hate that my first try of a new pizza place is take out, but it could not be helped.

The chopped salad is full of provolone, salami and pepperoni and possibly other meats. It was lightly dressed and that was OK, but it could have used a juicier ingredient or two - cucumber or tomato...even celery perhaps...maybe some pickled items. Overall it was still a good salad.

This is a great addition to the Montavilla nabe, indeed. Nice folks, nice space (very recently finished, if you are really sensitive to paint/varnish/etc. odors, you might want to wait a week before stopping in.  It definitely has a new-pizza place-bar-smell.  ;o)

We will be back...hopefully to eat there (Sue is, unfortunately, sick with the dreaded disease I had last week.)!

Never give up! Never surrender!

#6 Adam

Adam
  • Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:20 PM

My wife and I live just eight blocks from East Glisan Pizza Lounge (at least until next week, when we move to the Woodstock neighborhood), so we hustled through the snow to eat here tonight. Started with the wedge salad ($8).

12357190384_e243594b4c_z.jpg

The salad uses romaine hearts instead of the more typical iceberg. I guess it could have started as a "wedge," but it fell apart and no longer bore any resemblance to a wedge. The name aside, I thought the salad was okay. The dressing had hunks of blue cheese in it, but overall it could have used a little bite from lemon or buttermilk. The bitter sun-dried tomatoes felt totally out of place, but I enjoyed the crunchy fried onion strings.

We tried the sausage pizza ($14 for a 12-inch small, $26 for a 16-inch large), which comes with fennel sausage, mozzarella, big dollops of ricotta, and lots of green olives.

12357190434_fb0a8e50ab_z.jpg

The fennel sausage was interesting. There was a sweet aspect to it that felt a little strange to me--maybe sugar in the mix?--but the hunks were meaty and generously distributed. The sauce is just hand-crushed canned tomatoes with maybe, maybe a pinch of salt, nothing else. Because they aren't pureed, the tomatoes are laid out in large pieces. It lets you really taste the flavor of the tomatoes, although to be honest they just didn't have a whole lot of flavor. Frankly, they probably just need more salt. The mild ricotta helps cut the puckery brininess of the very flavorful olives. 

The crust needs some work. It was quite dense, with little to no rise around the outer rim, and not much flavor. It was also a bit too crisp, to the point that the bottom of the crust was sometimes difficult to bite through. EGPL is using a unique oven setup: a Blodgett gas deck oven with a steel plate as a base instead of the usual stone. Much like the recently popular Baking Steel, the steel plate conducts and transfers heat much more efficiently than stone, hence a very crisp crust. I think it's a great idea; the restaurant just needs time to figure it out in order to produce optimal pizzas.

There is large potential for EGPL. The pizza's decent at the moment, but I think it can get much better. I'll be going back in a couple weeks to try them again and see if things have improved. As Jill-O noted, the space is very recently finished, so the paint smell is quite prominent. It was also very cold in there--turn up the heat, guys!

Adam Lindsley

This Is Pizza

#7 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:You live to serve this ship<br />So serve well, and live<br />-Ben Hur

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:57 PM

Thanks to all for reporting, have been hoping of a decent pizza nearer my house.

I have to think the coldness might be because of the paint/varnish smells. Heat really makes it much worse.

Even when my new location was 100% ready to go I waited an extra 2 weeks to open just because it took that long for all the chemical smells to die down.
You'd be surprised, even in a fully ventilated space how long it stays. And what it worse, the owners, managers and workers often don't know until it is too late.. because when you hang out setting up in it long enough you stop noticing.

Methinks I am like a man, who having struck on many shoals, and having narrowly escap'd shipwreck in passing a small frith, has yet the temerity to put out to sea in the same leaky weather-beaten vessel, and even carries his ambition so far as to think of compassing the globe under these disadvantageous circumstances-Hume

#8 Adam

Adam
  • Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:53 PM

Thanks to all for reporting, have been hoping of a decent pizza nearer my house.

I have to think the coldness might be because of the paint/varnish smells. Heat really makes it much worse.

Even when my new location was 100% ready to go I waited an extra 2 weeks to open just because it took that long for all the chemical smells to die down.
You'd be surprised, even in a fully ventilated space how long it stays. And what it worse, the owners, managers and workers often don't know until it is too late.. because when you hang out setting up in it long enough you stop noticing.

That's a good point. Hopefully the smell dissipates soon so that it isn't so frigid in there.

I should clarify that when I said "The pizza's decent..." I mean that it's better than at least 80% of the pizza in Portland, possibly more. It's just with places like Apizza Scholls, Ken's, and Handsome, the bar has been raised. There's obviously some talent in the kitchen, but it's still early and they understandably have tweaking to do. It seems to be really uneven right now, because I just saw some photos they posted of some pizzas that had big puffy outer crusts (in stark contrast to the dense, airless crust on the pie I was served). So hopefully they dial everything in soon. I think this will turn out to be a great option for you, Janis!

Adam Lindsley

This Is Pizza

#9 Adam

Adam
  • Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:36 PM

Went back again tonight, and the pizza has much improved. The crust was airy, crisp, and well-charred. Still could use a pinch more salt and a longer ferment, but it's a solid crust. The meatball pizza was a winner, with delicate meatballs contrasting nicely with the crunchy red onions. However, the broccoli rapini and lemon pie was so overwhelmingly bitter that I had trouble eating more than a slice of it. 

It's still ridiculously cold in there. I was in the back room, next to the kitchen, and I didn't see a single heating vent anywhere. I don't think I saw any in the main dining room/bar, either. I wanted to take my jacket off while eating but that just wasn't going to happen. I worry if they don't install some kind of HVAC system it's going to be sweltering in the summer, but we'll see.

Janis, this place is definitely worth a stop. Try that meatball pizza!

Adam Lindsley

This Is Pizza

#10 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:55 PM

The place was packed on Friday night when I drove by at about 8 PM. 

#11 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:16 PM

Adam, that meatball pizza is the heat.    Took the family there the other day after the kids swim lessons.          I don't remember any red onions though, just basil, fresh moz and the meatballs.    

#12 Adam

Adam
  • Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:25 PM

Adam, that meatball pizza is the heat.    Took the family there the other day after the kids swim lessons.          I don't remember any red onions though, just basil, fresh moz and the meatballs.    

Interesting. I shot some photos and they're definitely on there, and they're listed on the menu, too. Wonder if they just forgot about them or if they're changing up the pie a little? Either way, I don't think they're essential to the pizza, just a nice textural contrast to the meatballs, which are the real star of the show.

Adam Lindsley

This Is Pizza

#13 gal4giants

gal4giants
  • Members
  • 802 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:06 PM

What are the sizes here?  10 & 16 inch?

#14 Adam

Adam
  • Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:25 PM

12" small, 16" large.

Adam Lindsley

This Is Pizza

#15 gal4giants

gal4giants
  • Members
  • 802 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:33 PM

12" small, 16" large.

thanks Adam

#16 butcher

butcher
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:49 PM

Went tonight for the first time.   Very impressed with the crust.   Crispy and chewy with a nice char on the bottome.  Ordered the specialty peperoni with pesto, and a couple of custom pies:  meatball and sausage with onions, and meatball and black olive.   Also tried the chickpea fritters.   I noticed the chop salad listed on the web menu was not on the in house menu - only wedge and green salad.

Fritters were good, but maybe spent a little too much time in the fryer.  We weren't a huge fan of the specialty peperoni.   Probably just a preference thing as we weren't too keen into the pairing of peperoni with pesto.   Peperoni was good; pesto was good.  But together was not what we were expecting.   Maybe too spoiled by the soprasata pie at Ken's. 

On the other hand, both pies with the meatballs were exceptional.  Crust, as stated above, was crispy, chewy and just adequately charred.  The meatballs were almost like chunks of really mild, tender sausage.  Very tasty.  My only negative comment is that I wish the provided a small bowl of coarse sea salt like they do at Ken's.   The pies did need a little salt in my opinion and I thought the standard shaker of Mortons slightly cheapened the experience.  Overall, loved the pizza.

#17 Neven

Neven
  • Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:26 PM

Had dinner here, and my impression was that it's very, very, very… average.

Meatball pizza:

IMG_2152.png

The crust was unremarkable in flavor. The charred spots were good (especially on the underside) but much of it was dried out instead of puffed. A chew that's more tough than satisfying. I wouldn't dream of leaving the crust behind at my favorite spots, but here, it was thankless to eat on its own. The dough reminded me of what I'd get trying to make pizza in a cruddy electric oven that topped out at 400 F. (For anyone who cares about my modest pizza creds, this is the sort of stuff I make nowadays: https://www.flickr.c...ven/4629475453/)

The toppings weren't much better. The "sauce" is just chopped tomatoes (which sometimes works well, but not on this kind of pizza, I think); the cheese was forgettable; the meatballs had a good texture, but they, too, sorely lacked in flavor. Just a bit of parsley, that's all. Everything needed salt, and some sort of character.

I figured the dryness/blandness was partly due to the higher ratio of crust-to-topping on the small pizza, but our neighbor's large-size, cheese-plus-peppers pie looked even sadder. (No pic, you'll have to take my word for it.)

It's just one visit, so who knows, maybe it was an off night. Since Glisan isn't my neighborhood, I doubt I'll be driving back. Based on this meal, I'd rank it slightly below Gladstone, Sizzle Pie, or Lonesome.

#18 Adam

Adam
  • Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:09 AM

Sounds like an off night. Granted, I wouldn't say any of their pizzas are amazing (not yet, anyway), but the meatball pizza I had was far from bland. Definitely a class or three above Sizzle Pie, but still below Gladstone.

I do agree about the sauce -- it needs more salt, maybe some good olive oil to add a bit more flavor.

Adam Lindsley

This Is Pizza

#19 Perkeo

Perkeo
  • Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 01:18 PM

I've been to East Glisan twice now and taking all things into account, it's my favorite over all pizza "experience" in Portland. I will give Scholl's their due for best pizza but the wait and the slightly cramped feel of the place knocks them back a notch. I've enjoyed the crust a lot and have had no problem finishing the slices. I think the sauce on the meatball is kinda basic but if I'm not mistaken it's different on other pies like the sausage and green olive. I've only gone on Sunday nights and it hasn't been crowded but you might not be so lucky on other nights. Decent wine selection, good draft list, clean, un-stuffy decor, not too fancy but comfortable...yeah I'm sold. Still haven't tried Gladstone though...

#20 EvaB

EvaB
  • Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 12:53 AM

I finally tried this place a couple of weeks ago, and again tonight, and think they make really good pizza. I find the crust to have good flavor and they achieve a nice balance  among the ingredients without larding the pie up with too much and making it wet and soggy, or greasy. My fav so far is the fennel sausage with ricotta and green olives--an excellent combo and very good green olives (castelvetrano? Tastes like them). I also find the place to be friendly and comfortable, and the beer list varied (completely different on my two visits), interesting (far from the usual suspects), and excellent.

We tried the wedge salad which is also good though I personally don't like it with pizza. It's not that it was too heavy--I love the wedge with ribs at Podnah's--but to my palette, the blue cheese competes with the pizza flavors. There is a mixed green salad which I will try next, but I wished for a caesar, which I think compliments pizza well.  While everyone does it, most places don't do it well and I feel like these people could, based on the other items I tasted. The wedge may well be a good thing to have on the menu for people who are not going to eat pizza, and maybe other's don't feel as I do about the combo ; )

They had a lasagne special which I got the impression might be a regular sunday night thing? Might have to explore that at some point. 

This is a very good addition to this neighborhood and it was good to see it busy tonight. Also--another late night option!!

Editing to say that I just reread Adam's posts above and it sounds like some things have changed. The green olives were not at all puckery briney which is what led me to wonder if they are Castelvetrano, and there were not a lot of them on the pizza (to me, a good thing. I love green olives but in this application like them as an accent). I had the meatball pizza the last time I was there and agree that it is good too.

Cool Moon Ice Cream

with apologies to Jack Prelutsky's "Bleezer's Ice Cream Store"

I am Eva Marianna
I run COOL MOON ICE CREAM STORE,
there are flavors in my freezer you have never seen before,
twenty-eight divine creations too delicious to resist,
why not do yourself a favor, try the flavors on my list...