http://trifectapdx.com/

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 doglover

doglover

Just another Portland foodie

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:I'm a marketing geek who loves to travel, share a great bottle of wine with friends, and who is always on the lookout for a great new restaurant. St. Jack anyone?

Posted 18 January 2014 - 05:12 PM

Any reports on the new Trifecta?

#2 Adam

Adam
  • Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 06:14 PM

I've only had the pimento double cheeseburger, but I think it's fantastic. I go into it in depth here, but the patties are excellent and properly cooked medium rare on a wood-fired grill, and the pimento cheese (which technically speaking is made with Calabrian chilies and not pimento) is salty and wonderful. Good house-baked bun, too. A damn delicious burger.

12022772056_1d3062dc90_z.jpg
12021934095_13e0a9041d_z.jpg

Adam Lindsley

This Is Pizza

#3 vrunka

vrunka
  • Members
  • 703 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:17 PM

I've only been once back in early December. I felt certain that I'd love it since I'm a big fan of Ken's other ventures, but I was a little disappointed.

I'm not sure if the menu is designed this way or if we ordered poorly, but everything we ate was way too rich and salty. We got the house salad, steamed clams, oysters trifecta, and brussels sprouts. The oysters were delicious, but was basically a big mouthful of salty fat and I could barely finish one. the steamed clams were the least salty thing on the table (aside from the salad), but would still qualify as a sodium bomb -- and the butter-drenched bread that came with it didn't really help. The brussels were actually more like chorizo (and chorizo fat) with a smattering of sprouts. The salad was the most balanced dish, but it was still pretty rich and more heavily dressed than I prefer.  

I liked each individual dish quite a bit, but together that meal really blew out my tastebuds and left me feeling pretty awful. Like I said, maybe we just ordered poorly, but  I thought two veggies and two shellfish dishes didn't sound that crazy. Or perhaps I'm misguided about what kind of place this is supposed to be? Maybe it's not really for dinner and it's really more of a bar where you get one megasalty small plate to go with several beers. 

I'd give it another try, but would order more cautiously next time. That burger looks fab.

IMG_6727.JPG

IMG_6729.JPG

IMG_6730.JPG

#4 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:12 PM

Met friends here tonight and everything was outstanding. Cocktails were all spot on. I had something called an Airmail, which I loved. The others drinks at the table were equally terrific.  

Ordered a lot, but we lingered for a long time.  Oysters, baked oysters, pimenton cheese & grilled bread, bread plate, baby back ribs, bavette, potatoes, carrots, chocolate souffle and various drinks.

My friend likes horseradish with her oysters so we asked if they had any.  There seemed to be some confusion and conferencing going on, and next thing we knew, someone was freshly grating horseradish & turning it into a dip of some sort, and brought it to us.  They should put that one the menu, fantastic!  Very cool of them too, they could've just as easily told us they didn't have any.

We loved everything. I'd say if there was anything weak in what we ordered, it was the potatoes. They were good but weren't special. This is very minor nitpicking.  

Looks like Tuesday is rib night there. For anyone who likes fall-off-the-bone baby backs, that's how these are.  

Food, service, drinks, all outstanding.  

Oh, and why aren't people who live around here buying up their fresh baked breads?  Gorgeous loaves for sale, I'd be in there all the time if we lived near there.  I took a walnut loaf and one other sour wheat type loaf home.

#5 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:13 AM

"Oh, and why aren't people who live around here buying up their fresh baked breads?"

My guess is that opening at 4pm has something to do with that...along with the fact that that end of the neighborhood is only semi-residential.

Haven't been there yet, but it is on my to try list. Folks next to us at the Multnomah Whiskey Library on Sat. described a not so great experience they had there...but I don't know them so...

Never give up! Never surrender!

#6 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:05 AM

Haven't been there yet, but it is on my to try list. Folks next to us at the Multnomah Whiskey Library on Sat. described a not so great experience they had there...but I don't know them so...

I've heard this from others as well.  I think it depends on what you order. 

#7 Adam

Adam
  • Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:37 PM

Been eating a lot of meat lately so decided to have a vegetable-central meal at Trifecta with my wife last night. We sat in the corner booth in the back of the restaurant where it's very dim, so I got some so-so phone pics:

14750678291_739692e319_z.jpg

Started with the bread (which is free) and butter ($3). The freshly churned butter is simply the best I've had in Portland, salty and creamy and easily worth the 3 bucks. Three types of bread here, going clockwise from the top: country brown, baguette, and walnut bread. Of the three I really dug the walnut bread, and normally I'm pretty anti-nuts-in-bread. Such good flavor. Ken's bread is as good as anyone's in town and oftentimes better. Bread is usually seen as an unnecessary stomach filler in most restaurants but here you'd be a fool to pass it up.

14773711163_b3a329a284_z.jpg

The heirloom tomatoes with basil, olive oil, balsamic, and ricotta came next. Wonderful, full-flavored tomatoes that make you forget about all the bland, mealy ones you ate the other three seasons of the year. Terrific ricotta that my wife and I could barely stop ourselves from shoveling onto the tomatoes. A perfect summer treat.

14567155730_9a5b29b1ee_z.jpg

Speaking of summer...here's the summer vegetables dish. Crisp green beans, zucchini, squash, radishes, peas, and onions topped with sesame seeds and delicious fried shallots. This was the only dish I felt needed a touch more work done to it (or just more fried shallots). The vegetables all had superb texture but it felt a little undressed, more a highlight of the fresh flavor of vegetables picked straight from the garden than a prepared salad. But those fried shallots...I would have been happy if they had topped every component of the meal. But that's fried shallots for you.

14773711063_07e667bf7b_z.jpg

The kitchen sent out this summer squash plate gratis. Perfectly prepared squash, so tender but not remotely mushy. I have no idea what went into the sauce other than some kind of pepper, but it was addictive to the point that we sopped up every last trace of it with more bread. 

14567155640_a60f6bc9a5_z.jpg

It's pretty much impossible for me to pass up grilled corn if I see it on a menu. This was excellent, sort of like elotes without the mayo, with cotija cheese, chili powder, and green onions. The corn was sweet as it should be, with the darker kernels the highlight (I always grill my corn until it's nearly black all the way around). This was another great opportunity to make use of that housemade butter. Dear god it was good on this corn.

14567397597_f45706cb78_z.jpg

Okay, we had to try ONE meat dish. This was the crispy young chicken topped with edible flowers and grilled apricot halves. Gloriusly crisp skin (dusted with sea salt, even better) and moist meat...this was nothing but a pile of picked-clean bones by the time we were through with it. I didn't eat much of the sauce because I was getting pretty full by this point, so I can't really comment on it.

14730838486_59619c281f_z.jpg

As I said, we were full so we didn't order dessert, but we were given a couple salted whiskey caramels to top off this excellent meal. The caramels had good flavor -- deep burnt sugar and molasses notes -- but the texture was somewhere between a caramel and a thick pudding. I don't know if it was the inclusion of whiskey or what, but it was almost like the structure of the caramel had started to break down. Can't really complain as these were free, but an odd texture to be sure.

This was I believe $66 with an excellent pint of beer from Crux Fermentation Project. Well worth it. A lovely meal.

Adam Lindsley

This Is Pizza

#8 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 27 July 2014 - 12:59 PM

Great report and gorgeous pics.  I've only been here once and found it sort of forgettable.  Now I want to go back and eat your entire exact meal.  Well, except for the single pint part!

#9 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:20 PM

We were there Friday night also and my first reaction after seeing Adam's photos was that we ordered wrong.  My H hadn't eaten much of anything the whole day so we ordered what seemed like everything. 

The cocktails there are some of the best in town, so for that alone I think it's worth it to give it another try.  I certainly will, and will be ordering more like Adam did instead of what we did.

We ordered way too many bready things.  Chicken liver toasts, pimento cheese toast, an oyster bun (which is really a small fried oyster sandwich), a fried-cauliflower salad thing, steak frites with boardwalk fries, deviled eggs, wedge salad, daily flatbread with radicchio, oyster mushrooms & ricotta, plus dessert.  An insane amount of food for 2 people, I couldn't keep up with my H and after a while, just gave up trying.

A couple of pics below include the oyster bun on the left, chicken liver toasts on the right, and the deviled eggs.  The chicken liver seemed boozy, which was fantastic. But it was very rich and too much for 2 people to eat if you've got a lot of other plates coming.  This is a plate best shared with several people.  Very good.

We couldn't help but draw comparisons to Laurelhurst Market, since the bartender was from LM and therefore the drinks drew many influences from there, and the steak frites and deviled eggs both seemed to pull from LM. 

The egg part of the deviled eggs were every bit as good as LM (which are my favorite in town).  The little pickled celery-slaw on two of the deviled eggs was very similar to the chow-chow that comes on the side of the LM eggs.  Good stuff.  The Creoled shrimp on the other 2 eggs fell flat for me. 

The steak frites here comes with salsa verde instead of romesco (if you get the steak & greens vs the Marchand de Vin sauce at LM).  This was $24 and LM's is $22.  LM's portion size is larger and nothing beats that red wine sauce, imo.  LM also gets a great sear/crust on their steak. 

The flatbread was completely different than the flatbread I had here a month or so ago.  That was more like an oblong pizza dough, nice crisp crust with chew to it.  This was more like lavosh or cracker bread they roll out, top and bake.  I prefer their previous version.

The media seemed to go ape shit for Trifecta's hot fudge sundae so I gave that a try.  The peanut hot fudge was great but that seemed the only remarkable thing about dish, so I don't get what the hype was about.

This all sounds more negative than it really was.  It was very good.  But I think I would've enjoyed the dishes Adam ordered a whole lot more.  I think I didn't order right when I first went here either.  Too many heavy things and not enough lighter things to balance it out.  I'll do better next time.

deviled eggs:

deviled%2520eggs.jpg

Oyster bun on the left, chicken liver toasts on the right:

chicken%2520liver%2520toasts.jpg

#10 scouty

scouty
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:02 PM

What's LM?

#11 FoodKid

FoodKid
  • Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:07 PM

What's LM?

I figure it's Laurelhurst Market.

#12 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:27 AM

What's LM?

I figure it's Laurelhurst Market.

Yes, sorry!! 

#13 JimProuty

JimProuty
  • Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:49 PM

Went tonight an absolutely loved everything; the drinks and the food both. I think the photos in this thread to justice to the taste of the food. I'm deeply sorry I waited this long to go. We will be back.

#14 Kernel

Kernel
  • Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 01:36 PM

After another great meal here the other night, I find myself wondering why this place doesn't seem to get a lot of attention.  It's become our go-to for a kid-free night out, consistently serving interesting but not overly-preened-over dishes. And the value is, to me, maybe the best of the higher-end restaurants in town. 

#15 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 09:36 AM

I wonder if the location feels unsafe to some.

#16 Adam

Adam
  • Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 09:41 AM

I've always had trouble finding parking around there. Eating there has almost always meant walking a few blocks, unless I get really lucky. I don't really mind, but I'm sure it puts a lot of people off.

Adam Lindsley

This Is Pizza

#17 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 04:31 PM

Yeah, it's much easier to cross Belmont and park on 8th/9th and Taylor or so. 

#18 joburn

joburn
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 11:57 AM

It's not easy true, but parking is no better at Kachka and that doesn't seem to turn people off.  

Maybe they've had some experiences such as Jennifer's above where they may or may not have ordered wrong, but although everything was quite good it was also unrelentingly heavy...that has been my exact experience.   And I am a huge fan of Ken's bread, and food in general.  Could well have been my ordering skills.  Trouble is with so many choices these days, a first impression tends to stick more than it used to.  Not that I won't go back, just haven't made a point of it. 

#19 JimProuty

JimProuty
  • Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 08:49 AM

A little. I'm not thrilled to park nearby and see auto glass on the curb right next to where I just parked my car.
But so far, no actual problems.

Regarding the very nearby Kachka, I remember our party of 4 was approached by homeless people asking for one of our party's leftovers afterwards.
Though we didn't feel much threatened, they were definitely a bit brazen.

(My wife and I just recently dined at Kachka and did a tiny bit of bar hopping to Bit House Saloon and then to Trifecta; she was much happier at the atmosphere of Trifecta than at Bit House Saloon. The drinks at Kachka were only okay; stick with the vodka flights.)

#20 WAfoodie

WAfoodie
  • Members
  • 548 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 01:42 PM

A little. I'm not thrilled to park nearby and see auto glass on the curb right next to where I just parked my car.
But so far, no actual problems.

We've encountered auto glass when parking on the street in front of Biwa, parking a block behind Le Pigeon, parking near Toro Bravo. Not any broken glass encounters, so far, when in the more residential areas.