Photo

Fogo de Chao

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,259 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:16 PM

Maybe so but I'd also think, from a business standpoint, that they'd be very interested in establishing relationships with large corporate clients who are local and bring a long-term steady stream of expense-account type diners. But I could be totally wrong and they'll make their group service numbers on one-time budget-pinching wedding parties, prom goers and such.

#22 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:30 PM

The only real reviews I want to see on this place going forward are ones that answer one question: is it worth the extra $20 vs Brazil Grill.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#23 Neven

Neven
  • Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:09 PM

My office decided to pop in today for a comedy lunch. (I don't mean we went to mock it; it's comic because it's not our type of place normally.) Overall conclusion: quite good!

I'll get to the meats in a sec: let's start with the salad bar. Why? Well, it's better than you expect. A totally decent selection of vegetables, including hearts of palm and beets, plenty of cheese and salami/prosciutto, and tabouleh (Wtf? Whatever, I like tabouleh.)

Pão de quiejo (cheesy bread) was quite good, better than most I've had. I joked that if you filled up on it, it would still be better than most of the meats. That wasn't quite true, but still—tasty little pastries. Also, ask for extra fried bananas—they're fully caramelized and delicious. The polenta fries and mashed potatoes: don't bother, cafeteria food.

Now, the meats: they brought them out at an aggressive pace, and some in the party who forgot to flip their card to RED ended up with hills of beef on their plates. In the order of tastiness, I'd rank them this way, starting with the best: picanha, rib eye, filet mignon, sirloin, pork loin, chicken drumsticks (surprisingly tender and flavorful), pork ribs (on the tougher side, but I don't mind that, and the flavor was great), beef ribs. The only ones I wouldn't recommend are bacon-wrapped chicken breast (dry), linguica (dry, spiced too much like breakfast sausage), lamb (dry dry dry). The picanha was about 3 times better than the next best cut, so I'd just order 6 portions of that.

Lunch was $29.50 ($22.50 if you do salad-only, which is loopy, but hey, otherwise half the place would just get salad.) That price seemed shockingly reasonable since we all stopped eating at about 4 lb of meat per person, and they insisted that we have more. Our servers—about two dozen of them—were friendly, super fast, and they pushed the meat over the salad, urging us not to fill up on greens or bread. That was unexpected.

Nick, I haven't been to Brazil Grill, so I can't answer your question. But I don't know where else I could've eaten half a farm for $30.

#24 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:56 AM

I'm curious about the comparison to Brazil Grill too. I haven't been back to BG in ages, but I did like it quite a bit (after moving here from Queens, NY which, at that time about 13 years ago, had a few good churrascarias, so I was familiar with it). 

I like that BG is still around, though I haven't heard anyone mention it until FdC was reported to open here. 

The BG folks are the same ones opening the Hawthorne Lobster House in the old Township & range space, btw.

Never give up! Never surrender!

#25 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:04 AM

I don't know if BG does lunch, but just for a quick comparison, their dinner prices are $14 for the salad bar and $35 for the full meat extravaganza.  That's a lot more reasonably priced.  Their dinner price is similar to the Fogo de Chao lunch price with the salad bar almost half the cost.  They have 11 meats instead of 15 or whatever FdC has.  And they have the rotisserie pineapple, which is a big plus.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#26 nate

nate
  • Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:01 PM

I haven't been to BG for years, though I too remember enjoying it. To be fair, I recall their salad bar being very unimpressive. From appearances (website and reports) FdC looks to be much more serious about their salad bar. Maybe I need to go back to BG so I have a current point of reference.

#27 ricechaz

ricechaz
  • Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:16 PM

Forgot about the rotisserie pineapple. My kids used to love and go and just have that over any of the meats. 

Charlie
Hood River, OR

"No matter where you go...
there you are."
Dr. Buckaroo Banzai

#28 boy_asunder

boy_asunder
  • Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:06 PM

We went there the first official night. I agree with Neven that the salad bar exceeded my expectations. That said, I'm so conditioned to avoid the hell out of the salad bar for fear of filling up that I basically ate five bites of five different things and ran back to my table to flip the little coast to green. The same should be true of the little cheesy rolls, but damn if I didn't eat five of them. I love those little guys.

Meat-wise, it was, at best, a wash for me between them and BG. There were a couple of things I thought I prefered to stuff at BG, notably the ribeye (and one other thing that I've totally forgotten). I also thought the lamb was pretty good and didn't find it dry at all. Also, despite the review on Food Dude's site, I found many options for pink and red meat.

That said, there were a lot of ho hum meats and, in the end, I would have been just as happy at Brazil Grill.  In fact, I promised myself I'd spread the word that there's no reason to spent the extra dough on Fogo when you can go with someone that's been in town for a while and is a lot cheaper. So I should go make a Facebook post now.

#29 kjcanfield

kjcanfield
  • Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:58 PM

between the quality of the meats, the salad bar and the EXCEPTIONAL service, I would have to say that this was completely worth the price difference vs Brasil Grill - the last few times I ate there, I was really disappointed in the general quality. The Portlander in me REALLY wants to like the local option better, but in this case I think Fogo is winning in spades....

#30 zumpie

zumpie
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 06:17 AM

Maybe so but I'd also think, from a business standpoint, that they'd be very interested in establishing relationships with large corporate clients who are local and bring a long-term steady stream of expense-account type diners. But I could be totally wrong and they'll make their group service numbers on one-time budget-pinching wedding parties, prom goers and such.

That's really very weird, because (former catering director, here) you don't usually sell your space that way, you base it on minimums----precisely because, as you note, it's more profitable to have a smaller group with a higher average check, than a larger one with a lower average check (particularly if it's in alcohol, which has a bigger margin than food). Or really, who cares if it's 2 or 200 hundred people if they're willing to pay for it? Especially if the room was going to be sitting empty, anyway.

That said, there are other factors that come into play---like when did your client want to book the room? Mid-week in August (or now) or a prime Saturday night in December? Though I personally would've still looked to better qualify the business and offer some options, myself. BUT, they're looking to fill the sales position again, so maybe they decided this wasn't the way to handle things

#31 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,259 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 09:02 AM

We were trying to book 5 - 6 weeks in advance. The manager couldn't even be bothered to come to the phone. He told the receptionist what to tell me. "Hold on...yeah, ok, my manager said they can't afford to lose the seats."

Laughable really.

#32 zumpie

zumpie
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 04:26 AM

We were trying to book 5 - 6 weeks in advance. The manager couldn't even be bothered to come to the phone. He told the receptionist what to tell me. "Hold on...yeah, ok, my manager said they can't afford to lose the seats."

Laughable really.

Wow, that IS laughable. It's interesting because I applied for their Sales Manager position a few months ago and never heard anything. Sounds like either they picked the wrong person OR were trying to see if they could run without one. Cause that is NOT how you handle private dining sales, especially in this market (lots of competition for the few high end clients around). And who lets the room go empty when they could make up the shortfall in drinks?

Full disclosure, since they're hiring for the position again, I did apply. And if I had the job, I'd have taken care of you!

#33 WAfoodie

WAfoodie
  • Members
  • 544 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 08:51 AM

Their current website says Thanksgiving Day menu items are included in the regular full churrasco dinner price (assuming $49.95). Since some of the higher-end PDX restaurants are running at a similar price in 2015, if not more, wouldn't Fogo then become a good choice, in your opinion?

(I gave up making dry turkey years ago and I would prefer to eat something other than that for my meal and co-foodie still wants turkey.)