Fogo de Chao

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,658 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:32 PM

Brazillian churascura chain Fogo de Chao is planning a Portland location in the former Niketown space downtown.

Who knew PDX could support one of these places let alone two.  

National website here: http://www.fogodechao.com/

#2 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,259 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:37 PM

I was thinking the same thing!  Is there that much expense account money in this town?  

I've never eaten at one of these places before, but I'm assuming I'd be much happier spending less at someplace like LM or Ox for a meat fix.

#3 JandJ

JandJ
  • Members
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:Great food.

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:50 PM

I dunno... I tried the Fogo de Chao in Sao Paolo years ago and it was pretty great.  The meat was high quality and very well prepared.  Also, the variety of choices available enabled you to try a number of different proteins, particularly if you're sharing with someone.  Now, whether they can even come close to what you can get at Ox or say Imperial (my benchmark for a perfectly prepared ribeye) is a very fair question and I have my doubts, but had to share the fact that the experience I had in Brazil was quite positive and memorable.  I don't recall the cost, since I was lucky enough to be there on business travel, so that's also pretty relevant to how well they will do here.  Just thought a different perspective might be helpful to the discussion.

#4 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,747 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:50 PM

I will eat here.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#5 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:21 AM

Brazil Grill is $35.  Fogo de Chao is usually closer to $50.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#6 JandJ

JandJ
  • Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 03:16 PM

Brazil Grill is $35.  Fogo de Chao is usually closer to $50.

$50 is not too awful if the quality is there.  Any thoughts or direct experience with Fogo de Chao?  Haven't visited Brazil Grill so no basis for comparison.

#7 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:34 PM

Value of that $50 really depends on the meats you choose and how much you eat... like any other all-you-can-eat.     

I'll be here.. ribeye, filet, and lamb please... and some linguica.    Thank you please.

#8 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:46 PM

I haven't been to Brazil Grill in a very long time, but I definitely enjoyed it when I did.  And though I never hear about it, kudos for them for still being open while many other restaurants have come and gone over all of these years...I think they opened in 2006!

For Fogo - at $50pp, if the quality is there, it's a good deal still, especially if you choose more expensive cuts and have a hearty appetite as nervousxtian points out above.

Never give up! Never surrender!

#9 Kristi

Kristi
  • 2,042 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:05 PM

I've been to Fogo de Chao twice, once in Texas and another time in Atlanta. It was fantastic! They served warm, delicious popovers and all of the meat was very tasty. I'm excited!

#10 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,658 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:50 AM

More details from the O: http://www.oregonliv..._medium=twitter

#11 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,658 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:12 AM

"Q: How much will the Portland prix fixe be?

A: At most of our cities it's in the mid $40s to upper $50s. Portland will probably be in the mid-to-upper $40s per person. Desserts and drinks are separate. There's also a salad bar-only option in the $20s."

#12 JandJ

JandJ
  • Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:36 PM

If the quality measures up to the one I tried a few years back in Sao Paolo, then it's a terrific value at that price point... no question.  Looking forward to the opening and thanks very much for that link.

#13 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,259 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:53 AM

$4M - $5M build out.  http://www.bizjourna...use---fogo.html  

"PBJ: Portland already has quite a few steakhouses (Ringside, Ruth’s Chris, Portland Prime, Morton’s, etc.). Aren’t you worried about there being too many.

Feldmann: Fogo de Chão is a unique experience. We see there is an opportunity to bring a restaurant of our nature to Portland. We expect to be a regional draw. We will become part of the fabric of the restaurant community."

#14 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,658 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:57 AM

"PBJ: Portland already has quite a few steakhouses (Ringside, Ruth’s Chris, Portland Prime, Morton’s, etc.). Aren’t you worried about there being too many.

Feldmann: Fogo de Chão is a unique experience. We see there is an opportunity to bring a restaurant of our nature to Portland. We expect to be a regional draw. We will become part of the fabric of the restaurant community."

Holy shit that's a lotta cash!

#15 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,259 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:50 AM

Holy shit that's a lotta cash!

That was my exact reaction too.  Yikes!  

#16 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 03:25 PM

Media preview diner was last night (many, many tweets...all about quantity, NONE about quality), and first review out goes to, our fave judge without a grudge, Michael Zusman (via portlandfoodanddrink.com - aka Food Dude's site):

http://portlandfooda...ners-reviewers/

Bravo sir, bravo. 

Never give up! Never surrender!

#17 crepeguy

crepeguy
  • Members
  • 370 posts
  • Interests:Purveyor of skinny pancakes.

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:07 PM

That's a great review. I would like to add that cachaça (especially a house brand like Pitu) is typically $15 a bottle, so there's no reason those bronzed cowboys should be gouging you on your caipirinhas. Limes, however, are at a premium now (due to a bad harvest and ruthless Mexican drug lords) so we must take that into consideration I guess. 

#18 EvaB

EvaB
  • Members
  • 667 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 04:38 PM

limes are coming down (somewhat) in price now that harvests from more locations in Mexico and CA are coming in. Apparently the big issue was in the southern Mexican states w/year-round crop. The 5# bag I usually get at Cash & Carry for $4.19 went up as high as $21+. I bought last week at $19.49 and the next time I went, it was down to $15+. I just bought a 5# bag at Costco for $9.99.

Sorry to derail Fogo. And, yes, very fun review by MC "Python" Z.

Cool Moon Ice Cream

with apologies to Jack Prelutsky's "Bleezer's Ice Cream Store"

I am Eva Marianna
I run COOL MOON ICE CREAM STORE,
there are flavors in my freezer you have never seen before,
twenty-eight divine creations too delicious to resist,
why not do yourself a favor, try the flavors on my list...

#19 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,259 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:11 PM

One of my clients called over there asking if they could seat 14 in one of their private rooms for a dinner in June.  They were told no, minimum for the smallest private room is 25.  This surprises me since they're new and probably don't have their dance card fully booked yet.  Their loss I guess, this group racks up booze tabs larger than any I've ever seen.

#20 crepeguy

crepeguy
  • Members
  • 370 posts
  • Interests:Purveyor of skinny pancakes.

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:55 PM

One of my clients called over there asking if they could seat 14 in one of their private rooms for a dinner in June.  They were told no, minimum for the smallest private room is 25.  This surprises me since they're new and probably don't have their dance card fully booked yet.  Their loss I guess, this group racks up booze tabs larger than any I've ever seen.

With a $4M - $5M build out, I presume they can afford to be selective in this regard. Makes me wonder, however, how they ever achieved such wealth to begin with.