Davenport

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 FoodKid

FoodKid
  • Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:55 PM

Was out walking and saw this place in the spot recently vacated by June. There were people dining inside and the menu next to door was written in marker, so it might have been a soft open. Everything on the menu was under $20.

2215 East Burnside St. Portland, OR 97214

#2 Adam

Adam
  • Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:03 PM

They have a menu from the 14th up on their Facebook page:

https://www.facebook...&type=1

Very curious about this place as I was a big fan of Evoe, however I worry that the things I loved most about Evoe (mainly being RIGHT THERE while Kevin made one awesome dish after another, plus lots of great side dishes) will be lost in this more conventional "restaurant" setup. Only the cauliflower soup on that menu is under $10.

Adam Lindsley

This Is Pizza

#3 ariel88

ariel88
  • Members
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:46 PM

Was out walking and saw this place in the spot recently vacated by June. There were people dining inside and the menu next to door was written in marker, so it might have been a soft open. Everything on the menu was under $20.

2215 East Burnside St. Portland, OR 97214

According to Eater: not soft, just open.

http://pdx.eater.com...rt-open-now.php

#4 FoodKid

FoodKid
  • Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:57 PM

Weird. I ran a search on it and nothing came up. Either way, I'm excited. I love Evoe.

#5 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:48 AM

It is open.  I got an email the other day from them saying so.  I suggested they post here, but they may not have been able to get past the new signup. Here's the email:

I just wanted to reach out and let you know that we (Kevin Gibson & Kurt Heilemann), have opened a new place at 2215 e burnside called Davenport. As for the basics, we are open Tuesday through Saturday, starting at 3pm for the late lunch/early nibbles crowd. The food will be Kevin's take on using the best of the produce, seafood and meats the area has to offer. There will be beer, wine and liquor, but with a heavy emphasis on the wine. If there is anything I can help out wit, or if you have any questions, please let me know. Thanks.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#6 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:49 AM

btw, them being open at 3pm will mean I'll actually go.  I don't know for how long that will make sense to continue, but hopefully for a while.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#7 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,658 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:26 AM

http://www.davenportpdx.com/

2215 E Burnside . Portland, OR . 97214

eat@davenportpdx.com

Hours of operation: 3p.m.-10p.m., Tuesday through Saturday.

#8 ariel88

ariel88
  • Members
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:56 PM

Went yesterday with a friend right when they opened at 3pm. The food is really stellar. Standout items were the cabbage rolls and the duck with shredded cabbage and pomegranate seeds. Oh, that duck. Wow. Excellent service. Get over there while they are flying under the radar.

#9 Laksa

Laksa
  • Members
  • 788 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:24 PM

Went yesterday with a friend right when they opened at 3pm. The food is really stellar. Standout items were the cabbage rolls and the duck with shredded cabbage and pomegranate seeds. Oh, that duck. Wow. Excellent service. Get over there while they are flying under the radar.

Shhhhhh!

#10 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:50 PM

I went a while back.  Only had one meal, though.  I found the food carefully prepared, but overly simple and lacking layers of flavor.  There just wasn't much depth, I thought.  Haven't been back partially because my wife thought it was a pretty bad value.  Those cabbage rolls, eg, were small with very little filling, mostly cabbage.  It was too much in the Navarre/Luce vein for me, except with better presentation and consistency of execution (and service).

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#11 ariel88

ariel88
  • Members
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:20 AM

I went a while back.  Only had one meal, though.  I found the food carefully prepared, but overly simple and lacking layers of flavor.  There just wasn't much depth, I thought.  Haven't been back partially because my wife thought it was a pretty bad value.  Those cabbage rolls, eg, were small with very little filling, mostly cabbage.  It was too much in the Navarre/Luce vein for me, except with better presentation and consistency of execution (and service).

I don't disagree with most of your comments. The price point was a bit high for the portion size, yes. We shared two smaller plates and two larger plates, and I definitely could've eaten more. And the flavors were simple, but I enjoyed that the dishes were straightforward and not trying to be more. Whether they were overly simple may depend on the person. :)  Regardless, I really enjoyed the meal, though b/c of the value issue you mention, I'm not likely to go there often.

#12 joburn

joburn
  • Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:10 PM

That duck with cabbage is fantastic, all right.  As is the Goulash.  Along with the fritto misto and the octopus, we were very satsfied. 

#13 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:13 PM

We buy dog food at Meat on the corner, so we looked at the menu posted outside a week or two ago, hopeful it would be a place we would want to try.

But...Sue and I decided that we did not need to find out what a $14 scallop small plate (with one scallop and some kind of dressed greens) is like. That may well be what he has to charge to make it all pencil out, and if so, I hope someone finds that to be a decent value for them...it's just not for me.

Zuke, that's the way I would describe the plates at Evoe too:  "carefully prepared, but overly simple and lacking layers of flavor"

Never give up! Never surrender!

#14 Laksa

Laksa
  • Members
  • 788 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:02 PM

The value discussion gets hairy fast. In dollar terms I feel it's no worse here than at Sen Yai or Nostrana. This is the kind of place to go to for a relaxed time with a good bottle and food which complements it. The food is beautifully prepared from scratch using the best ingredients. Simple in a good way. Simple ain't easy. Not everyone is going to value this particular experience, but overall Davenport is a creditable presence. 

#15 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:02 PM

I don't disagree with most of your comments. The price point was a bit high for the portion size, yes. We shared two smaller plates and two larger plates, and I definitely could've eaten more. And the flavors were simple, but I enjoyed that the dishes were straightforward and not trying to be more. Whether they were overly simple may depend on the person. :)  Regardless, I really enjoyed the meal, though b/c of the value issue you mention, I'm not likely to go there often.

When I say "simple", I don't mean that I need a bunch of things going on.  It could be a simple piece of meat with a sauce and nothing more.  I mean that the flavors were flat and one-dimensional.  For instance, I also had the leeks braised with matsutakes.  I felt it was flat.  It was really just leeks infused with matsutake flavor with some slices of the mushroom on top.  Boiled mushrooms with boiled leeks.  And no attempt to balance the woodiness at all.  It wasn't bad.  But I need more if I'm going to go out to eat, especially if it means dropping some real change.

Been reluctant to say anything after one meal, but I know that I'm not the only person here who isn't a fan of extreme simplicity.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#16 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:03 PM

We buy dog food at Meat on the corner, so we looked at the menu posted outside a week or two ago, hopeful it would be a place we would want to try.

But...Sue and I decided that we did not need to find out what a $14 scallop small plate (with one scallop and some kind of dressed greens) is like. That may well be what he has to charge to make it all pencil out, and if so, I hope someone finds that to be a decent value for them...it's just not for me.

Zuke, that's the way I would describe the plates at Evoe too:  "carefully prepared, but overly simple and lacking layers of flavor"

I liked my meals at Evoe better.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#17 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:13 PM

The value discussion gets hairy fast. In dollar terms I feel it's no worse here than at Sen Yai or Nostrana. 

As I said, the price issue was my wife's more than mine.  Nothing's ridiculously expensive. 

This is the kind of place to go to for a relaxed time with a good bottle and food which complements it.

Yeah, you said something similar about Luce.  I just don't think our palates are a good match.  I also wonder if this means when these places get slammed they're no longer as attractive to you.

Simple ain't easy.

It's usually easier than complex. ;-) But more so, it's a question of depth of flavor and layers of flavor.  I can't think of any highly lauded restaurants that don't work hard to get depth of flavor and layers of flavor.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#18 ariel88

ariel88
  • Members
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:35 AM

I mean that the flavors were flat and one-dimensional.  For instance, I also had the leeks braised with matsutakes.  I felt it was flat.  It was really just leeks infused with matsutake flavor with some slices of the mushroom on top.  Boiled mushrooms with boiled leeks.  And no attempt to balance the woodiness at all.  It wasn't bad.  But I need more if I'm going to go out to eat, especially if it means dropping some real change.

Ah, I get what you're saying now. Guess I had a different experience.

#19 Laksa

Laksa
  • Members
  • 788 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:38 AM

I get the grouping of Dport with Luce and Navarre but the food is better overall. And I can also see that when it goes wrong it gets precious. Not dots-of-goo precious but "I'm supposed to be overwhelmed by this? I'm barely whelmed" precious.

Simple is hard. Really hard. Consider pizza, consider sushi.

#20 joburn

joburn
  • Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:53 PM

I found it quite, quite different than Luce or Navarre.  Kevin has always had a fairly spare cooking style.   But I enjoy his food more than some layered, rich places in town that are simply piles of flavors without much balance or texture.