• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#81 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 08 April 2015 - 07:22 PM

Safeway has Goose Island Matilda on sale for $6.99 for what appears to be 750ml. When I was in Chicago a few months ago, these were going for $9 at Binny's. I bought one a couple weeks ago and it rang up as $9.49, and I had to go back to customer service and get my money back. If you buy six, they are $6.30. 

My friend who is a wine/spirits rep in Chicago says people there consider it to be sort of run of the mill, and didn't have favorable things to say about Goose Island as a company but that sort of inside baseball stuff I don't care about. I think it brings a nice amount of welcome funk, in that it smells vaguely like an old gym sock.

Also, San Diego's Ballast Point's excellent Sculpin IPA has been sale for $6.99 a bomber (22 oz) at the Wilsonville Costco now for nearly 2 months. I saw this for $12.49 a bottle at Otto's last month when I stopped by for a curbside hot dog and some sausages from their butcher.

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#82 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 08:56 PM

My H discovered Market of Choice's nicely curated great wall of Stouts.  They've improved a lot since I first went here.  They've got 2 beer people on staff who really know their craft and are clearly going the extra mile to build a loyal customer base.  Max talked Stouts with them for a while, they had him taste a few before buying, and they keep a stash of special bottles in the back that are harder to find, barrel aged, limited edition, etc. Their stash is for customers who seem to geek out on great beer (those are my words, I believe their words were more like "really know beer").  You have to ask one of them if they've got anything in the back. And if you're looking for something special, I'm sure they'd find it for you and call you when they get it in.  They seem to really like what they do.

Bad cell phone pic of the Stout wall below. They also have a large selection of Belgians, IPAs, fruit beers and sours, etc.  

Prices are on par with New Seasons & Whole Foods.   

image.jpeg  

#83 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:55 PM

My H discovered Market of Choice's nicely curated great wall of Stouts.  They've improved a lot since I first went here.  They've got 2 beer people on staff who really know their craft and are clearly going the extra mile to build a loyal customer base.  Max talked Stouts with them for a while, they had him taste a few before buying, and they keep a stash of special bottles in the back that are harder to find, barrel aged, limited edition, etc. Their stash is for customers who seem to geek out on great beer (those are my words, I believe their words were more like "really know beer").  You have to ask one of them if they've got anything in the back. And if you're looking for something special, I'm sure they'd find it for you and call you when they get it in.  They seem to really like what they do.

Bad cell phone pic of the Stout wall below. They also have a large selection of Belgians, IPAs, fruit beers and sours, etc.  

Prices are on par with New Seasons & Whole Foods.   

image.jpeg

Oh my!

#84 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 04:25 AM

Is this the Market of Choice on Barnes Road?

#85 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:15 AM

Yes, Barnes Rd.

#86 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 09:32 AM

So many more choices in that neighborhood than there were 40 years ago when I lived there. I see a trip to the westside in my future. I need to hit up the Wall of Stout, the Winco Cooler of Meat, Uwajimaya and stock up on westside delicacies.

Thanks!

#87 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 11:58 AM

So many more choices in that neighborhood than there were 40 years ago when I lived there. I see a trip to the westside in my future. I need to hit up the Wall of Stout, the Winco Cooler of Meat, Uwajimaya and stock up on westside delicacies.

Thanks!

If you're on the Eastside, Imperial Tap Room does a nice job curating Stouts, if you can find parking (Division road diet, thanks Portland!).  Also Zupans Burnside has a nice selection, I would imagine their Belmont store might also.  I do think MOC is going above & beyond though, especially for a grocery store. 

#88 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 12:15 PM

Thanks Jennifer. I hit all of those places from time to time. It's alway nice to find a new place to check out.  The MOC at Terwilliger and Taylor's Ferry has a nice wine and beer selection. There's a new MOC going in the Goat Blocks development on Belmont and that will be the closest location to me. They seem to devote more space to beer and wine than most upscale grocery stores.

I forwarded the MOC info to a friend of mine that works at Intel - he's all over it.

#89 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 06:25 PM

Cheap Red Boat Fish Sauce at Pacific Market - 67th and NE Broadway (one block north of Halsey) 16 oz @ $5.99 - if you're coming from the west, take a hard left after the stop sign off the 68th St exit, go across the overpass and take the first two rights.

While you're in the neighborhood, drop into Binh Minh on the next block for some of the best banh mi in town.

Pacific Supermarkets

6750 NE Broadway St
Portland, OR 97213

Binh Minh Bakery & Deli Sandwiches

6812 NE Broadway St

Portland, OR 97213

#90 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 27 May 2015 - 07:00 PM

I've noticed the price of Red Boat has gone done after they've been in the market for a while. It was the same-ish price at Hung Phat last time I was there as other brands (though for a smaller bottle, but 30% of what it used to be). There's another brand that's out there as well that has sort of the same MO/"cachet" as Red Boat, but I haven't tried it (quite happy with Red Boat for dipping, and Flying Lion brand for marinade).

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#91 EvaB

EvaB
  • Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 10:54 PM

I got some very nice Copper River sockeye fillets at Costco earlier this week for $11.99/lb.

Cool Moon Ice Cream

with apologies to Jack Prelutsky's "Bleezer's Ice Cream Store"

I am Eva Marianna
I run COOL MOON ICE CREAM STORE,
there are flavors in my freezer you have never seen before,
twenty-eight divine creations too delicious to resist,
why not do yourself a favor, try the flavors on my list...

#92 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 06:37 AM

me too. and me three and me four and...

I've cooked them a bunch of different ways but my favorite is skin side up with S&P. I peel off the skin when they are done and broil the inside then chop for salad.

#93 EvaB

EvaB
  • Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 09:36 AM

I charcoal grilled, indirect for about 4 minutes, with a very light rub of ground up fennel and juniper berry (plus salt).

Cool Moon Ice Cream

I am Eva Marianna

#94 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 10:09 AM

sounds like a great combo!

#95 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 01:21 PM

CR Reds are down to 8.99 for fillets and 6.99 wholes at Costco. Gonna get 10 lbs smoked this weekend.

#96 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 10:32 PM

Ok I give, what are CR Reds?

#97 _RC

_RC
  • Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 11:14 PM

Ok I give, what are CR Reds?

Copper River sockeye.  :hungry:

#98 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 09:36 PM

Ahhh, thanks!  That one was racking my brain.

#99 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 10:32 PM

If you're in range of the NE PDX Costco you can buy fish from the Wolf Song folks on the street by the gas pumps. I bought 2-4 plus pound whole sockeye today for $15 each. I've bought from them several times over the last six or seven years and the fish is very fresh and well taken care of. Clifford is good about updating the website so you know when fish are available. He also responds to emails promptly if you've got questions about when fish will be available.

#100 EvaB

EvaB
  • Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 01:09 AM

Got some more of the CR Sockeye today (Tuesday).

And, guess what's back?

The +- 1lb rounds of HUMBOLT FOG!!!!! $16.89/lb.

Cool Moon Ice Cream

I am Eva Marianna