store specials food finds

• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#61 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 08:12 AM

I bought the 4 year wedge but I prefer the packaging on the 3 year mini wheel since it's in plastic and wax and should age better. I have a few sitting in the back of my cellar.

#62 RM

RM
  • Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:43 PM

Another Costco Cheese Alert!

Prefere de Fromi, which is described as being a stand-in for the illegal-to-import Reblochon. Here is a recipe that uses it, which I include only because it has the best photo image I could find of the cheese (scroll down).

http://www.chefrachida.com/tartiflette

Also, for you aged Tillamook lovers, they have big wedges of aged 4-year. Anyone tried that?

Per usual, NE 138th store.

Unfortunately, I've been unable to find this at either the Tigard or Aloha Costco stores

#63 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 11:31 AM

My H brought home an 8-pack box of Shin Black ramen cups for $10 from Costco.  Best price I've seen on these.

#64 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 07:35 PM

Read on Eater that Tails & Trotters Prosciutto is now available for retail at $64/lb. This seems high but I don't know what La Quercia acord-fed is going for these days.

#65 Aaron

Aaron
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 12:14 PM

The Eater article gave an approximate price - Tails & Trotters Prosciutto Pacifico is $3.75/ounce sliced ($60/lb), $30/lb for thin slabs or diced, and $10/lb for bones (something that is rarely if ever seen in the States).

For comparison, a 3oz package of sliced La Quercia is $85.33/lb. Last year the Woodsman Market was selling Iberico prosciutto for $15/ounce or more.

High quality prosciutto requires nearly 2 years to make, with quite a substantial risk of failure in any given leg. Remember too, most purchases are for just a few ounces of very thinly sliced product which requires substantial time and labor to slice and package appropriately.

It's true that it's not cheap. However, as the writer for the Eater article points out, the quality should more than substantiate the cost.

#66 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 01:21 PM

Thank you Aaron. And I might add that when something sits sliced in packaging for a couple days, no bueno. Your product is so fresh and sweet!

#67 EvaB

EvaB
  • Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 12:27 AM

Yet again with the Costco Cheese:

Cambozola Black Label

It is more like a creamy blue cheese than the regular Cambozola, which I would describe as a creamy cheese with a little bit of blue in it.

Cool Moon Ice Cream

with apologies to Jack Prelutsky's "Bleezer's Ice Cream Store"

I am Eva Marianna
I run COOL MOON ICE CREAM STORE,
there are flavors in my freezer you have never seen before,
twenty-eight divine creations too delicious to resist,
why not do yourself a favor, try the flavors on my list...

#68 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:31 AM

Keeping Kosher? A friend just posted this on their FB page:

New Kosher Options at Costco!

Due to the recent campaign to bring more kosher products into their Tigard store, Costco has decided to bring in specialty kosher products for the coming Passover season. These additions are a trial run to gauge interest in the area. They will need to sell out to justify purchasing more items during holiday seasons and possibly begin carrying year-round offerings. There is not yet a budget from Costco Corporate to advertise this, and it needs to be spread via the community. It is imperative that the community supports this effort to ensure future offerings. Here are the details:

Tigard Costco- 7850 SW Dartmouth St. Tigard, OR 97223.
Sale Dates: March 9th- The Beginning of April
Carrying:
1. Whole White Fish- Acme Smoked Fish
2. White Fish Salad- Acme 
3. Potato/Apple/Broccoli/Matzah Kugel 
4. Stuffed Chicken with Vegetables
5. Beef Stuffed cabbage
6. NY Deli Sliced Pastrami
7. Kosher Shredded Mozzarella
8. Kosher Sliced Muenster

Special thanks to Rose from the Tigard Costco for her help and efforts in arranging this opportunity, and to Darren and Leanne Dall and Jen Edelson for spearheading the campaign within the community.

#69 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 12:24 PM

Thank you.  Have you had any of them, particularly the white fish?

#70 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 20 February 2015 - 04:41 PM

Not yet.

#71 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 09:06 AM

Wow, thanks for posting this. I'm going to put this info on my Facebook page, several friends who keep kosher might share and so on. I'm all for helping getting the word out on this! Thanks!

#72 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 09:24 AM

Got a cryptic text from my H with a pic of a half-eaten mang cau, or soursop.  Apparently they are cheaper at New Seasons right now than at the Asian markets.  Posting this in case anyone out there looks for these.

#73 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 09:54 PM

Zupans: Harris Ranch hanger steaks on sale $7.49/lb.

Market of Choice: Same fresh-pressed orange juice as Zupans for about half the price.

Winco Cedar Hills: Growing selection of grass fed beef and bison at ridic low prices. Not sure if this stuff is graded, Winco mostly carries Select grade beef but I don't know about the grass fed stuff.

#74 friedalighthouse

friedalighthouse
  • Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 07:03 AM

New Seasons has rockfish for $5.99/lb. Made pescado a la veracruzana with it, and it was very good.

#75 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 08:21 PM

Zupans: Harris Ranch hanger steaks on sale $7.49/lb.

Market of Choice: Same fresh-pressed orange juice as Zupans for about half the price.

Winco Cedar Hills: Growing selection of grass fed beef and bison at ridic low prices. Not sure if this stuff is graded, Winco mostly carries Select grade beef but I don't know about the grass fed stuff.

I miss the 4.99 hangers.. but 7.49 still ain't bad.     

Is it just the Cedar Hills store.. because I'll check the 122 and 102nd tomorrow if I get a chance...   because yeah most Winco meat is absolute crap.

#76 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 08:34 PM

I miss the 4.99 hangers.. but 7.49 still ain't bad.     

Is it just the Cedar Hills store.. because I'll check the 122 and 102nd tomorrow if I get a chance...   because yeah most Winco meat is absolute crap.

Agreed, crap for sure!  I can only speak for what I see at the Cedar Hills store, I don't get to their East side stores.  I meant to snap a pic of the package so I could look up the farm.  I'll try to remember to do that when I'm in there next, some time in the next week for sure. 

They get the most oddball stuff in there some times!  Like lamb shanks right now, huge pile of them, cheap. Not something that's normally in there.  But again...I have no idea about grading or quality, so like usual I didn't toss any meat in the cart. 

Re the $4.99 hangers, I keep thinking they'll come back on Memorial Day Weekend or some big grilling weekend. Not likely, but we still hope.  :-)  Like you said though, $7.49 is still worth it. 

#77 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 02:23 AM

I hit the 122nd and San Rafael Winco on Wednesday morning and didn't see any sign of grass fed beef or bison. I may need to take a field trip to the Beaverton/Cedar Hills Winco and check out the selection.

Regarding the higher prices on hanger steaks. Beef prices are going up and have been for a couple of years. I don't expect to see $5 hanger steaks again. Of course I never thought I see $2 gas again either.

#78 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 03:09 PM

St M - Here are some pics for you from Winco Cedar Hills:

Grass fed sirloins, NY strips, ribeyes, ground beef.  Sirloins were $5.98/lb, ribeyes, $10.98/lb.  Bartels Farm is in Eugene, OR.  http://www.bartelsnw.com/   

20150305_134720.jpg

20150305_135012.jpg

Lamb shanks $3.98/lb and lamb loin chops $10.98/lb.  Not sure how that compares to Costco's loin chops price. 
American Lamb website: http://www.americanlamb.com/lamb-101/how-lamb-is-raised/ 

20150305_134851.jpg

20150305_134923.jpg

Ground bison, not sure how this price compares.  My guess is prob similar to NS:

20150305_135017.jpg

Organic ground beef.  20150305_135002.jpg

#79 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 06:08 PM

Thanks for the info and photos Jennifer. I think I'll work a trip to the westside on to my agenda. I can hit Winco, Uwajimaya and try some  Westside restaurant for lunch.

#80 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 06:35 AM

halibut sale at new seasons, $17.99/lb for filets and $13.99/lb for a whole fish. Fish looked gorgeous.

They butcher and wrap for you.

Forgot to post this when I walked by and saw this yesterday. Today is the last day.