store specials food finds

• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#41 RM

RM
  • Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 06:32 PM

Happened to be at Fred Meyer (Raleigh Hills) today and they had Hatch Chiles for $1.49 lb

#42 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,658 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 10 September 2014 - 01:48 PM

Does anyone have an inexpensive source for compost bags?

#43 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 02:59 PM

I buy the ones we use at Mirador. I think they are called "Nature Bag" or something like that. I like them and don't feel that they are too pricey. They are better than ones I have found nearly everywhere else, including Bed, Bath and Beyonce. (Yes, we call it that...  ;o)

I hate the "Bio Bags" in the bright green/yellow/red box...they decompose while you are using them. Might as well just dump stuff right into the container and then into the rolling bin and save the $$! You are warned...  ;o)

FYI, we use this compost container on our counter: http://www.postchron...railblazer.html

Never give up! Never surrender!

#44 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,701 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:31 PM

I buy mine at Earth-Centric- They have all manner of compostable household and restaurant items.  

EARTH-CENTRIC, LLC

7126 NE Sandy Boulevard

Portland, OR  97213-5702

Bus: (503) 281-0307 / (877) 281-0307

Fax: (503) 961-7968

eMail: info@Earth-Centric.com

Store Hours:

Mon to Fri -  9:00 am to 6:00 pm PST

Sat              10:00 am to 5:00 pm PST 

Sun             Closed

#45 TastyTidbits1

TastyTidbits1
  • Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:18 PM

Costco. They sell a large box at a much lower price.

#46 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,658 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 12 September 2014 - 03:22 PM

Costco. They sell a large box at a much lower price.

Which one? I was in Hillsboro over the weekend and didn't see them.

#47 TastyTidbits1

TastyTidbits1
  • Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 08:01 AM

Clackamas - just off SE 82nd. I know managers can do inventory lookups for other stores, you may want to call or swing by your closest Costco to ask what stores carry the bags. They're the kitchen size bio bag brand, which have worked out for us.

#48 EvaB

EvaB
  • Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:40 PM

Costco Cheese Treasure Alert:

1 lb (+-) Humbolt Foglets (my term of affection!)

These are not wedges cut from a large wheel, but home-size mini wheels. Price is $14.99 or $15.99/lb (can't remember which) and most of the cheeses I saw were right around a pound or a little less. I noted yesterday that the price at WF is $25.99/lb. These may be a limited run. I got one about two weeks ago and went back on Saturday and got more, but the supply on the shelf at that time was running low. NE 138th location.

Cool Moon Ice Cream

with apologies to Jack Prelutsky's "Bleezer's Ice Cream Store"

I am Eva Marianna
I run COOL MOON ICE CREAM STORE,
there are flavors in my freezer you have never seen before,
twenty-eight divine creations too delicious to resist,
why not do yourself a favor, try the flavors on my list...

#49 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 510 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 04:57 AM

nice!  did they still have the 2 lb wheels of Tillamook 3 yr?  I bought, um, a lot.

#50 EvaB

EvaB
  • Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:27 AM

Yes, they did have the Tillamook 3-year.

Cool Moon Ice Cream

I am Eva Marianna

#51 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,701 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 08:15 AM

I bought a bunch of the 3-yr when it was the Tillamook 75th anniversary (edit to add: This years batch is 105. So it must have been the 100th I aged) a few years ago. Just opened the last one a few weeks ago. It was pretty stunning with the extra years of aging.

I need to go buy some more and be patient.

#52 _RC

_RC
  • Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 09:32 AM

Saturday while at Gramma's Farm Store doing the pumpkin patch thing with the kids I noticed a guy roasting coffee beans on a modified BBQ. It smelled great so I tried a small 1/2 lb bag (about $5.00) of the Nicaraguan Pacamara. The beans were much larger than the coffee I normally buy, but certainly tasty. I like when a coffee improves in flavor as it cools in the cup. :)

Edit: They just put out a Groupon for their farm activities. http://www.groupon.c...cb-28494a2dec6e

#53 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 510 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:25 AM

I bought a bunch of the 3-yr when it was the Tillamook 75th anniversary (edit to add: This years batch is 105. So it must have been the 100th I aged) a few years ago. Just opened the last one a few weeks ago. It was pretty stunning with the extra years of aging.

I need to go buy some more and be patient.

I've found the stuff to be pretty much ageless as long as you're willing to cut off some mold or crystallization. I even made some fromage fort out of the everyday orange stuff that was in a fridge for 5 years. a bit of maraschino added, lovely.

#54 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 02:22 PM

FYI, this is tomorrow!!

First ever dock sale at Nicky USA - Tomorrow. All kinds of great frozen meats at 25-75% off. Limited to supply on hand. Open to the public. Come down and see us if your'e looking for a great deal.

Wake the kids and phone the neighbors there's only one day left until the First Annual Nicky USA Warehouse Dock Sale. Huge savings on a dizzying array of specialty game & high quality meats.

We're talkin' 10-75% off items like Silvies Valley rib chops, Estancia hanger steaks, Painted Hills flat iron steaks, Chef Choice game hens, Iberico pancetta slab, Muscovy Hen duck breasts, semi-boneless quail, Nicky Farms goat rib eyes & split loins and much, much more.

See you tomorrow at the warehouse (223 SE 3rd Ave.) from 11am - 3pm.

Never give up! Never surrender!

#55 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 25 October 2014 - 12:28 PM

At Barbur World Foods the meat department has cryovaced "bull tenderloins" that they'll say they'll breakdown into individual steaks for you.

Yes, the name describes what they are, but what is "bull tenderloin" or even "bull" meat (vs, say, "beef")? Google sorta tells me that most US beef comes from steers, which are castrated male cows. So this bull meat is from a male cow who was able to shoot its load? Does this orgasm capable cow tastes different and/or explain why the tenderloin is cheaper than conventional beef?

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#56 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 09:24 PM

This is an interesting comment, 2nd from the last on this thread.  Suggests that having testicles might affect meat quality.  

"We butchered a 1850 lb bull that was 16 months old. The market would have docked the he!! out of him. This was by far the best steaks I have ever had. They were huge and marbled to Chicago steakhouse standards. I would recommend getting it slaughtered soon as age and the testicles will effect the meat quality. Don't be afraid of the carcass quality."

This is another interesting conversation by ranchers on bull vs steer meat.  

#57 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 09:31 PM

Gosh the more I read, there seems to be no general consensus, opinions are all over the map.  In this thread a couple of ranchers say they don't like the taste of the bull meat, it's tougher, etc.  In other threads they say it's beefier tasting, better, but that there's an age limit on that.   

http://www.homestead...eer-v-bull.html

Maybe the meat from bulls is more inconsistent in quality vs steers.  One thing's for sure, ranchers don't like having bulls and are constantly having to fix fencing.  "One wrong move and it's the freezer for you."

#58 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:52 AM

Very good prices on Shun Knives on Vente-Privee right now.  

A few of Shun Classics that stood out to me (there are many more on there):

7" hollow ground santoku - $75

7" flexible fillet - $75

8" chef - $85

10" chef - $99

8" hollow ground santoku - $95

Premier, Pro and Sora lines are on there as well.  

https://us.ventepriv...#/catalog/12317

#59 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 510 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 02:32 PM

Costco.com has their annual 18 mo Serrano ham sale. $150 for a 10lb boneless leg. Vacuum sealed I've kept them for over 2 years with no noticeable issues.

#60 EvaB

EvaB
  • Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 06:51 PM

Another Costco Cheese Alert!

Prefere de Fromi, which is described as being a stand-in for the illegal-to-import Reblochon. Here is a recipe that uses it, which I include only because it has the best photo image I could find of the cheese (scroll down).

http://www.chefrachida.com/tartiflette

Also, for you aged Tillamook lovers, they have big wedges of aged 4-year. Anyone tried that?

Per usual, NE 138th store.

Cool Moon Ice Cream

I am Eva Marianna