store specials & food finds

store specials food finds

• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#1 vj

vj
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:22 PM

I'm not sure what happened to the old Store Specials and Food Finds thread, so I thought I'd start a new one.

My food find: S&W (canned) Beans, and S&W (canned) Tomatoes are supercheap at Winco: 68 cents for a 15oz. Hell, maybe all the S&W tinned/canned fruit and veg is that cheap. And the quality is great. Okay, maybe the beans won't go up against Goya, or the tomatoes against San Marzano, but the price, people, the price!

Also, Hong Phat has, in its aisle for Mexicans and Americans, has canned Goya beans. Not a huge selection of them, sadly, but the price is also right: less than a dollar fifty a can. Don't know how this compares to tiendas and Uwajimaya, but it seems to compare well to name brand beans at Fred Meyers.

Also, the supersaver Kroger Black Beans at Fred Meyer are horrible, and severely al dente.

#2 RM

RM
  • Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:23 PM

Suggest that you go back and stock up on tomatoes. The Cedar Hills Winco has S&W beans for 68 cents (their normal price) but their S&W tomatoes are $1.05 for most varieties. I've tried their store brand canned toms and didn't like them.

#3 vj

vj
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:00 AM

Wow, I had no idea about the tomatoes, but I have a bit of a back supply of them.

#4 Plump_and_Juicy

Plump_and_Juicy
  • Members
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:08 PM

I have canned beans, canned tomatoes (can't remember which brands) and a nearly full 5 pound bag of big delicious raisins that I'd like to give away. Seems that now that I have chronic kidney disease, I can't most dried fruits, nuts, beans, whole grains, a lotta fresh vegetables and fruits. Oh yeah. And potatoes. 

The restrictions on food are killing me, but it's your turn to make a killing on these free items. Take any, take all. I've probably got other nuts and dried fruits too.

The one main fruit that I can eat is apples. And cranberries. 

Write to me directly at foible40@yahoo.com if you want any of them.

#5 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:46 AM

Grocery Outlet is having a sale on wine through the weekend.  Take 20% off: http://groceryoutlet...spx?StoreId=235

#6 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:18 AM

Grocery Outlet is having a sale on wine through the weekend.  Take 20% off: http://groceryoutlet...spx?StoreId=235

I went to their Beaverton store for the first time over the weekend.  Don't waste your time.  The selection is nil.

#7 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:00 PM

The selection varies a lot by store with Grocery Outlet. When they have a sale they get hit hard and if you're not there when something decent is put out you're out of luck.

#8 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:53 AM

Someplace called "Asian Foods Center" just opened in Beaverton?  Off Canyon Rd in the center where Jin Wah and Red Robin are.  It's a chain of stores from Bellevue.

Here's their website:  http://www.afcwa.com/

From the website, it looks like they'll compete with Uwajimaya.  

There's a $10 for $20 Groupon for the place too, here:  http://www.groupon.c...sia-food-center  

I'll run over there some time in the next week and check it out.

EDIT:  More info from the O:  

"The Asian Food Center offers specialty items that cannot be found in most standard grocery stores, Zhong noted. She pointed out a variety of fresh Asian noodles, imported sauces and cooking oils, and extra-thin-sliced meat that is cut to suit hot pot dishes.

Much of the dried groceries are imported, while produce like pears and apples are locally grown, Zhong said. The Oregon pears and Washington apples were some of the most popular purchases during the center’s first weekend."

http://www.oregonliv...ood_center.html

#9 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:56 AM

I went their opening weekend, but friends who have been more recently tell me that the selection has greatly improved.  http://portlandfood....ood-center-afc/

#10 RM

RM
  • Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:18 AM

I went when they opened and saw nothing that I couldn't find at Uwajimaya. I'll check it out again next time I'm by that shopping center.

#11 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:57 AM

Dungeness crab on sale for $5.99 at Whole Foods Pearl today only:  https://www.facebook...location=stream

#12 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:34 PM

Vinturi wine aerator at Target was $5.99.  I kept looking at it thinking it was a knock off, or not the same thing.  Nope, works perfectly and is $18 cheaper than I've seen it anywhere else.  I wonder if it was mismarked?  If not, it's a steal of a price.

#13 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 11:45 AM

If anyone has been looking at the short Working Glasses (drinking glasses) at Williams Sonoma, the same exact ones (same markings, same level of opaqueness, same manufacturing, etc.) are in the dollar bins at Target.

#14 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 03:05 PM

Muir Glen 28 oz cans on sale at NS 2-for-$4.  And for the kiddos, Annie's M&C is also on sale for $1 each.    

#15 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 02:58 PM

Vitamix 5200 for $375 at Costco.

#16 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:40 PM

Harris Ranch hangers at Zupans for $6.99/lb through April 1st.

#17 _RC

_RC
  • Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:43 PM

I don't think I've had one of these since the end of summer, are they as good as ever? :hungry:  

I appreciate you updating this thread often. 

#18 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:17 PM

I don't think I've had one of these since the end of summer, are they as good as ever? :hungry:  

I think they're very good, especially for the price.  The Piedmontese beef hangers at Chop are a notch up in flavor and texture, but these from Harris Ranch are no slouch, and they're less than half the cost of the Piedmontese stuff.

#19 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:16 AM

Flying Fish has Stone Crabs for $24.99/lb.  For anyone who has never had these and has always wanted to try them but never wanted to spend $100+ on the FedEx to get them here, this is an insanely good deal.

#20 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 07:37 PM

All-Clad BD5 6-piece starter set for $280 on Ruelala.  It's there for 24 hours, in "The Rue Birthday Blowout" section.  Closest price online I've seen is $499 for this.