• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 21 June 2015 - 06:52 PM

I'm not a big fan of smoked reverse sear steaks..   the smokiness doesn't really add to a good cut of steak IMHO. 

Smoked prime rib?   Great.. but I'd just do the steak in the oven next, or over really low charcoal.. but no smoke.    I've tried it a few times and the smoke flavor really just get's in the way of the great beefiness of a good steak like a porterhouse, strip or ribeye.

Absolutely disagree.  Best steak I've ever had in Portland was at Podnah's when several of us here had a steak night and they smoked ribeyes and then finished them over the grill.  Fabulous.  Also, in Italy I had a wonderful steak which was cooked over live coals and had a great smokiness.  To me, it's the best of both worlds: the juiciness of steak, the flavor of BBQ.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#22 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 07:38 PM

Live coals is fine, but not a heavy smoke like you'd do for real BBQ.    Maybe I just never nailed the smoke right, but I just won't even try it again.    Always wished I'd just done them the normal way.

#23 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 09:25 PM

btw, this is a nice link that compares cheaper cuts of meat:

http://www.thenibble...-steak-cuts.asp

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#24 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 07:35 AM

That link says Server Error. Can you check and repost if it's different? Thx!

#25 _RC

_RC
  • Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 08:50 AM

That link says Server Error. Can you check and repost if it's different? Thx!

It worked for me last night. Server check says down for everyone now. http://www.isitdownr...nibble.com.html

#26 vj

vj
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:28 PM

It's back up.

#27 Kristi

Kristi
  • 2,042 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 02:00 PM

I'm not a big fan of smoked reverse sear steaks..   the smokiness doesn't really add to a good cut of steak IMHO. 

Smoked prime rib?   Great.. but I'd just do the steak in the oven next, or over really low charcoal.. but no smoke.    I've tried it a few times and the smoke flavor really just get's in the way of the great beefiness of a good steak like a porterhouse, strip or ribeye.

Absolutely disagree.  Best steak I've ever had in Portland was at Podnah's when several of us here had a steak night and they smoked ribeyes and then finished them over the grill.  Fabulous.  Also, in Italy I had a wonderful steak which was cooked over live coals and had a great smokiness.  To me, it's the best of both worlds: the juiciness of steak, the flavor of BBQ.

I've been using the reverse sear method with rib eyes on my Traeger. I smoke the steaks until they reach an internal temperature of 100 degrees, then I sear. I don't feel like the meat is too smoky and it is melt in your mouth tender. I may not be a good judge of smokiness, though, since I cook dinner on the Traeger at least 3-times per week. 

#28 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 08:12 PM

Max smoked a 2.5 lb ribeye tonight, cherry wood this time instead of hickory.  MUCH better, not nearly as harsh.  I need to get a log of oak though.  Does anyone have Oak they'd like to trade for Chery?  We have plenty.

Smoked it again at 225° then pulled it at 115° inside, and threw it in a cast iron skillet that had been preheated to 600+ on the gas grill.  This time we got a fantastic crust, and gorgeous rare inside.  Damn near perfect.  But, we have to try this with oak next time.

Pics:

steak2.jpg

steak%2B3.jpg

#29 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 09:27 PM

We have some oak at MMM I could give you.  

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#30 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 09:27 PM

Looks great, btw.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#31 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 07:13 AM

That ribeye looks outstanding.

#32 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 12:36 PM

We have some oak at MMM I could give you.  

I will totally take you up on this!  Can I give you some cherry in exchange?  We have 2 lifetime supplies for us. 

#33 crepeguy

crepeguy
  • Members
  • 371 posts
  • Interests:Purveyor of skinny pancakes.

Posted 18 October 2015 - 12:54 PM

Lately I've been on a chimichurri kick, a sauce that goes well with steak (especially the 'butcher cuts,' such as bavette, flank, hanger and skirt). These used to be cheaper cuts, but now have become more mainstream, and, as a result, a bit pricier than before. No pan or oven for these, just on the grill with hardwood charcoal. Must be really hot for a quick 3-4 minutes per side (no more than medium rare), then off the grill, rest for 5 minutes, cut slim on the biased, topped with the garlicky, green sauce goodness. Oh my.

Most other cuts, it's just a quick sear on a cast iron pan and finished in the oven. I like to deglaze the pan with a red wine/butter/shallot/caper/whatever is handy sauce. The notion of running outside for grill marks/searing then finishing it off in the oven (or visa versa) is way beyond my tolerance level. I'd leave that to the pros.

#34 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 07:48 AM

I have oak I could trade, or I'll just buy some cherry from you. Pizza season is waning but I'd like to fire a couple more times.

#35 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 02:56 PM

I have oak I could trade, or I'll just buy some cherry from you. Pizza season is waning but I'd like to fire a couple more times.

You definitely don't have to buy it, you can have as much as you'd like.  I'll PM you.