• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dan

Dan
  • Members
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:Spicy food and bacon.

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:02 PM

Trinket is at SE 39th and Lincoln, in the former Kingdom of Roosevelt space. I believe for the time being they're only doing brunch.

I went to try it out with my wife on Saturday. I had a bread pudding, my wife had creamy polenta with poached (?) eggs and kale. Both were very good. Other items on the menu included duck eggs benedict, sweet or savory waffles, a BLT, chicken salad sandwich, granola with yogurt, sausage hash, and maybe a few others.

There were a number of sides, but the only one we tried was the savory scone with green onions and gruyere. One of the best scones I've ever had. I hate dry scones, but most scones I've had are like sawdust inside. Trinket's are moist and buttery and probably underpriced at $2 -- I wanted to ask for a dozen to go.

The two entrees, a scone, and one coffee came to $21. We'll go back over and over again, or until we have to wait for more than 30 minutes to get a table, which I'm thinking will happen pretty soon.

#2 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,066 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:30 AM

Tried it this morning for breakfast. Space is nice, mostly the same from KofR, service was good as was the coffee (Extracto, I think). I made up my breakfast from sides: 2 eggs, bacon and greens. All good, eggs perfect, greens flavorful but not too vinegary, bacon crisp and delicious. GF had savory waffle with caramelized onions, bacon and goat cheese and added 2 eggs to it. Great move as the eggs melted the chèvre and the chèvre mixing with yolk created a nice gravy/sauce for the dish - she loved it (I hate chèvre, so I didn't try it, but it looked great. Next to us folks ordered pistachio sweet rolls, which looked delicious, might have to try one some day. They also ordered a nice-looking Bloody Mary. We will definitely be back. Yay, another decent option closer to home!
Never give up! Never surrender!

#3 Neven

Neven
  • Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:56 AM

I went in Saturday morning, hoping Trinket would be a good new option for us since we leave just a few blocks away. In conclusion: it's good!

I started with pistachio rolls; a sort of hybrid of cinnamon buns (in appearance, texture, and sweetness) and baklava (in syrupiness and, well, pistachio flavor.) Really addictive stuff. Every restaurant should have one item like this: a crowd-pleaser with a slight twist to it. This is what everyone will tell their friends to get here.

I had grits with braised greens, mushrooms, and eggs. It was all good. The eggs were a tad overcooked, and layering everything flat on a plate made for a slightly odd "steamed" texture; a shallow bowl would work better. I got a side of bacon, which was also above average.

Overall, this sits between average Portland diners (like Genie's or Zel's) and something like The Woodsman, in terms of quality and price. I can see it becoming a regular brunch option for us, unless it gets hyper-busy.

P.S. Jill-O, did you two sit by the window? I was the bearded dude (refer to my avatar) with a 2-year old daughter. (Not the guy with the kid, by the door). Nice to almost meet you! :)

#4 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,066 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:35 AM

Yep, Sue (the GF) and I were at the window!  Nice to almost meet you too!

I wanted one of those pistachio rolls!  Next time, I'm-a gittin one!

Sue posted just a bit ago on FB that she was there this morning, and she ordered the savory waffle again. Here's her pic - the chevre is under the eggs

9775859771_b0d870c685_d.jpg

#5 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,066 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:48 PM

Went again today and had another great breakfast. And now I now why, the chef came out of the kitchen...and it was Morgan Brownlow.

#6 Neven

Neven
  • Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:11 AM

Jill-O, that's pretty nutty.

I went in on Saturday and got the chicken+biscuits special, which was described just that way: chicken and biscuits. What arrived, however, was something I don't know where to begin describing: an impossibly tender chicken thigh—we're talking confit levels of tender—coated in dark char, served on a biscuit covered with a sauce you could call "gravy" I guess, but you'd be doing it a real disservice. It was like a pan reduction, probably a whole chicken's worth of drippings turned into silky brown syrup. A fancier/more experienced place might have dressed and garnished it up nicer, but flavor-wise, this was a slam-dunk.

(My wife's greens were just ok, but whatever.)

Very interested to see how this develops. The (extremely nice) server seemed excited about their upcoming plans, noting that the hours and the menu still had some training wheels on them right now.

#7 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,066 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:45 PM

Yep, the GF had that special, and I got a taste. It was awesome.

#8 The Wannabe Gourmand

The Wannabe Gourmand
  • Members
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Food.

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:09 PM

Went on Sunday for a late brunch, not very busy, 2-3 tables were available most of the time we were there. Staff was friendly and efficient. I had the Duck Eggs Benedict, my better half had the Kale, Hamhock and Polenta dish and the little one had a version of Soup and (Grilled Cheese) Sandwich. At the end we all shared the Sweet Waffle, which came with some cinnamon, peaches and another fruit I can't remember right now. Nothing was bad, but besides the Grilled Cheese sandwhich nothing was outstanding either. The hollandaise for my Eggs Benedict was a bit too lemony, I never had it that lemony before, the Polenta and Kale, while good, could've greatly benefited flavor wise from a smokier hamhock, the soup was adequate. Overall it was a good experience, I see great potential, but until they find their groove, in my book they'll be a little bit behind the Sunshine Tavern when it comes to brunch /lunch options for this area of town, I haven't tried Lauretta Jeans's brunch yet. P.S. Now I wish we would've ordered the Chicken and Biscuits, it was available as a special...