• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:41 AM

http://pdx.eater.com...ll-openings.php

What are your most anticipated?

Who do you think will/won't last more than 6 months - 1 year?

This huge list of openings has me thinking about the economy and how places will have to provide health insurance or screw their employees out of hours in the coming year(s)...

So many openings at a time when all costs are going up and only some of us have salaries that will rise to meet that increase (and no, I am not one of the some, sadly). I have already begun to see prices on menus that keep reminding me that I need to eat at home more, and that, no thanks, I don't need another drink tonight...in fact, I'll just drink water (and water only) more often, thanks.

Examples I have seen lately: A casual restaurant (one I like and frequent) serving one ear of corn for $6? Another place with oysters at $4 each? At some point I think chef/owners need to take a step back and see how that looks on a menu. Sure, you don't have to order those items, but it makes me question the value of other things I might order, and keeps me asking servers about the relative size of any plate of food...especially if I am sharing.

Never give up! Never surrender!

#2 WAfoodie

WAfoodie
  • Members
  • 548 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:28 PM

Most anticipated and will last more than: La Taq and Trifecta Tav.

#3 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:40 PM

Well, I stand corrected, apparently $6 is the going rate for an ear of corn. Having dinner at another place tonight with that on the menu, still a single ear serving.

No, I didn't order it. ;o)
Never give up! Never surrender!

#4 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:36 PM

I'm looking forward to Maurice, la Taq, Trifecta and Boxer Ramen. Although I'm guessing that getting a seat at either Boxer or Trifecta will be a neat trick. I'm still trying to figure out what Trifecta is, exactly, but I'm sure anything Forkish creates will be good. Three years ago I'd be first in line at T9. But now mmm and Autentica pretty much fill my Mex food needs. Won't make it a year: macheezmo mouse 2.0 in Beaverton.

#5 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:15 PM

Boxer Ramen, T9 and Pepe le Moko -- which isn't due until after November!  Boxer looked ready to go weeks ago, but we'll have to wait until the end of September for it to be official.

#6 ariel88

ariel88
  • Members
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:50 AM

Pepe le Moko, Maurice, and The Sugar Cube's brick-and-mortar. And the Multnomah Whiskey Library on my husband's behalf.