Noodles Thai SE Belmont

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Laksa

Laksa
  • Members
  • 777 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:17 PM

I passed by that restaurant space next to the opiate clinic and saw a banner announcing Kala Noodle and grill.

Kala Noodle and Grill

2534 SE Belmont St
Portland, OR 97214
Neighborhoods: Southeast Portland, Belmont, Buckman
(971) 302-6115
http://www.kalapdx.com

Looks like a fairly generic attempt at Thai-for-the-farang, a category in which Belmont leads the city.

#2 Neven

Neven
  • Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:34 PM

I went in yesterday. I had a brief and simple lunch, so this won't be a very detailed report. 

The menu is sort of enormous, and full of misspellings and transliterations I haven't seen before. Given that, and that I didn't have much time for lunch, I figured I'd order the basics and see how they do with those.

The satay was very decent. Nicely marinated chicken, grilled well (though lacking smoke/char, but what can you do) and served with bread and good ajad pickles. Pork meatballs were also good: juicy and nicely sauced. A generous portion for $5, too.

My khao kha moo was just decent: tender pork, not too much rice, good sauce and side of Chinese broccoli. No egg, though, which I would've liked. And the included mustard greens were that shriveled, brown kind; I prefer stalkier, brightly green stuff.

I tried my kid's mango-fried rice—something I'd never think to order myself—and it was actually pretty good. Nice wok hei, lots of turmeric, flavorful.

I'm sure there's more interesting stuff on the menu, so I'll check it out again. Oh, when I asked if I could get a cha manao, the server didn't know what that was (even after I described it.) That probably doesn't mean anything, right…?