• Members
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:29 PM

Church

2600 NE Sandy

Phone. 503-206-8962

Facebook

Hours of operation: 4p.m. to 2a.m., daily

Stopped in for Happy Hour this afternoon. They've got a nice Menu with some good deals for Happy Hour.

The food theme is Low Country Cooking and there are several fried selections on the menu to bolster that.

Good burger with a generous accompaniment of fries. The pork ribs are overly smoky for my taste, but still pretty delicious. They appear to be braised in sauce after smoking. The fried green tomatoes were also quite good.

They've got a decent selection of middle of the road bourbons and ryes as well as a limited but interesting selection of tequilas. They've got a few  cocktails made with amari which is always a plus to me.

Oswaldo Bibiano from Autentica/Mextiza/Uno Mas came in an had a beer and welcomed them to the neighborhood while we were there. Added to the feel of it being a neighborhood sort of place.

Three cocktails and a burger w/tip was $40. I'll be back. It's well worth trying out. It's a very nice space and it's nicely bright on a sunny day. Kammie the manager/bartender on duty was quite friendly and informative. She worked at Toro Bravo prior to helping with the build out and opening here

#2 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,031 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:33 AM

In the old Kesone space?

Never give up! Never surrender!

#3 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:55 PM

Yes, in the old Kesone space.

#4 tsw51

tsw51
  • Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:00 PM

How's the noise level?

Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not. - The Lorax

#5 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,031 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:11 PM

Any more reports on the food and drink?  Thinking of trying it out soon. 

Can the space handle a walk-in party of 6-10 for a meet-up for drinks kind of group?

Never give up! Never surrender!

#6 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:33 PM

How's the noise level?

It wasn't that noisy in there when I've been in, but it's never been that crowded either.

#7 Neven

Neven
  • Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:14 AM

I went in last night for a late dinner.

The menu is a bit different than what's on the website. They were also out of the shrimp and grits, so our entree options were a bit limited.

The pickle plate was decent. Onion, peppers, rhubarb, watermelon, cucumber. They all tasted about the same, so they probably pickle them equally. Nothing wrong with this, but, given that the pickles are served with yellow mustard, it's all a bit sour to eat on its own.

Fried green tomatoes were… not great. Watery slices with barely-adhered coating, haphazardly applied sauce. It was a classic "deep fried while wet" mistake. Pine State, for instance, does these perfectly: they're impeccable little pucks. This was quite messy.

Deviled eggs were good. Nice smoky flavor. Not as lavish as, say, Grüner's, but totally decent.

Shrimp po'boy was better than I expected. It's served on totally untraditional bread (a very soft roll), but I appreciated it. It was a lighter sandwich than you'd think. It's served with a forgettable green salad, very "vegan" in flavor (lots of nuts etc.)

The menu is very vegan-friendly overall. I'll send my vegan friends here, I suppose.