Township and Range

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 FoodKid

FoodKid
  • Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:49 PM

Was out doing one of my weekly city walkabouts and passed this place. An Eater posting says they opened at the beginning of March. The place was pretty busy when I walked by this evening. The online menu doesn't appear to be pushing any boundaries, but if it's good, I'll eat it.

2422 SE Hawthorne Blvd,
Portland, OR 97214
Sun-Thurs: 3-10PM, Fri-Sat: 3-11PM 

www.trpdx.com

#2 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,032 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:07 PM

I've heard some good things.  Haven't been myself.  Some here, though, will be happy to see that Melissa McKinney is doing their pastries.

http://trpdx.com/about.php

Pastry chef Melissa McKinney worked with Jon at Bluehour for several years before opening her own property, Criollo Bakery. Today, she creates our housemade desserts that are quickly gaining a following.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole & Kenny & Zuke's

#3 FoodKid

FoodKid
  • Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:40 PM

I remember she closed Criollo because she had a baby(at least, that's what her blog said). Is this her first gig since then?

#4 Egads

Egads
  • Members
  • 609 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:34 AM

We went a couple weeks ago during Happy Hour on Sunday, I think. It was pretty terrific. Lots of families with kids at that point in the day, which was great with us, as we had our kids with us. Great happy hour menu, and the portions were pretty remarkable given the low prices. I had a chicken liver pate with grilled bread, and a roasted beet salad. There's few things I like more than a good chicken liver pate, and this really hit the spot. Great service, nice atmosphere, quality cocktail list, and a menu that looks like they're trying to really execute well on some basic crowd pleasers. We had a fantastic time, and will be adding T&R to our rotation. I asked our server, and she said that they'll be adding brunch in a few weeks. I can already see the lines out the door if their brunch lives up to the same standards as the dinner. 

#5 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,031 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:52 AM

We went on Friday for a quick dinner. Started with a couple of cocktails which were good.  Had a hard time deciding what to have...mussels and a salad? the steelhead and greens and a side? roast beef and a couple of sides? friend chicken and sides? Hmmm....

Decided on roast beef and GF had a burger. I loved my roast beef - a large portion of rare-ish beef that was SUPER tender, a horseradish cause that provided a serious kick and I chose a side salad and the veggie (which was brocolli raab) dish. Salad was good, but the broc. raab was just kind of flavorless - no seasoning, no fat, nothing - like they had dunked it in boiling water and put it on the plate...not bad, it was cooked OK - not over or under cooked...but oddly lacking in any flavor. The meal overall was good, though and a great value for a $15 plate. Well, my meal was good...because...

...Sue HATED her burger. It was overcooked and she really just didn't like it. Fries were good. But, she won't go back...so there ya go, you can't please everyone.

Oddly-shaped space, and it is really loud in there - you are forewarned...

Never give up! Never surrender!

#6 PotAFaux

PotAFaux
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:26 PM

Another death on Hawthorne...

PDX Eater just announced : http://pdx.eater.com...nine-months.php

I will say this about the closing... I attempted on two separate occasions over the summer to come in for dinner with a dining partner and while it was busy, I left after close to 10 minutes of waiting for a host/server/anyone in the restaurant to acknowledge me/take my name down take a drink order/ etc. So I can't speak to the food, but I can speak to my first impressions of the place.

#7 Dan

Dan
  • Members
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:Spicy food and bacon.

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:48 AM

Bummer, I thought it was solid enough. I'd rather have kept it as-is than have another frickin' Thai restaurant in that space, for instance.