Photo

Porkapalooza IV: This time, it's personal.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:22 PM

Once again, we were lucky enough to be invited to Porkapalooza IV at Sacman's house, for a celebration of all things pork featuring many Tails & Trotters cuts.  And once again, what an amazing culinary feat he pulled off.  Angelhair + Mr. AH joined us along with another couple.  Super fun night with lots of wine, cocktails, great food and friends.  Pics of each of the 10 courses plus descriptions are below.

Snacks:

chicharonnes oido: puffed pig ears, smoked paprika, Kraft orange death powder

ginger-teriyako T&T back ribs, Bethany's chives

Willapa bay oysters with gruyere, bacon, kroloff kimchi, gf breadcrumbs

DSC06543.JPG

DSC06561.JPG

DSC06562.JPG

DSC06564.JPG

Angelhair's strawberry-rhubarb margarita.  I could've drank these all night long! 

DSC06559.JPG

Hamdade:T&T smoked ham, caviar, créme fraîche, sunchokes, glazed kumquats, radish.

Think Brandade only with ham! 

DSC06572.JPG

Pork Belly: crispy pork belly, NW Elixers Hott #3 (smoke), brined cabbage, celery seed.

This pic doesn't do it justice.  Both the pork belly & cabbage were divine.

DSC06582_ps.jpg

Turkey: sweet briar farms maple bacon, nocino, turkey egg.

I've never eaten turkey eggs before, they're really good! 

DSC06585.JPG

Pic of the cracked turkey eggs, in case like me, you had no idea what they looked like! 

DSC06577.JPG

Asian Pears: T&T guanciale, Hood River Asian pears, celery sorbet.

He warmed the guanciale slightly and made this bright sorbet out of celery, of all things.  Ridiculous, as in SO good.

DSC06590.JPG

Pig Cheek: nero d' avola-braised T&T pork cheeks, Jacob's Creamery butter, raisins, Olympic Provisions bacon bits, lentils.

You can't see it in the pic, but there's an agrodolce thing going on here with the raisins against the wine and braised meat.  Outstanding.

DSC06604_ps.jpg

Oil-poached tuna: "rascal" Oregon albacore tuna, sea beans, gin-pickled T&T back bacon, Sicilian olive oil, nettle soup.

I'm hoping Sacman chimes in to tell the story of this tuna.  I think it's Mrs. Sacman's previous boss who caught & canned the tuna. 

DSC06606.JPG

DSC06593_ps.jpg

Washington elk ramen: wild elk from Washington state, pea shoot, ginger, pork broth, quail egg, corn noodles. Wow. Very herbaceous, really great.

DSC06608_ps.jpg

DSC06613_ps.jpg

The big chops: T&T pork chops, Burmese caramel sauce, and absolutely no vegetables.

DSC06615.JPG

Cheeses & Treats: many cheeses from Caloak dairy goats, and some GF treats from Petunia's and New Cascadia.

Sacman's stepmother & father run a hobby farm.  These cheeses are one of the products.  I'm not sure many people wake up one morning and say, "I think I'll make some goat cheese," and get these results.  This was unreal.  And sadly no, they will never be for sale.  They got the goats to make milk to feed to their yet-to-be-acquired pigs.  Pork raised on goats milk.  Umm, yes please! 

DSC06620.JPG

DSC06622.JPG

DSC06625.JPG

Angelhair's Manhattans with Amarena cherries.

DSC06628_ps.jpg

Menu:

DSC06634.JPG

Plating prep area:

DSC06556.JPG

And for a recap:

Porkapalooza I    http://portlandfood....kapalooza-2010/

Porkapalooza II   http://portlandfood....ii-the-revenge/

Porkapalooza III  http://portlandfood....rn-of-the-pork/

As I said in the Porkapalooza III post, if you ever get an email saying, "Hey, wanna come to Porkapalooza?!?"  The correct answer is "YES!"

#2 TastyTidbits1

TastyTidbits1
  • Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:37 PM

Wow. That is some serious cooking.

#3 queenbee

queenbee
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:51 AM

I missed the Asian pears course--I must have been wrangling dogs or something....darn it.

OH, and the tuna--it was caught and canned by my boss' uncle. The name of his boat is the "Rascal".

Nice photos.  Wonderful food. Excellent company. 

#4 _RC

_RC
  • Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:28 AM

I missed the Asian pears course--I must have been wrangling dogs or something....darn it.

OH, and the tuna--it was caught and canned by my boss' uncle. The name of his boat is the "Rascal".

Nice photos.  Wonderful food. Excellent company. 

Small world. My friend Steve captained that boat last I spoke to him, been a couple of years though... As to the topic, wow what a great meal! The time and effort to create a meal of this magnitude is awe inspiring. 

#5 friedalighthouse

friedalighthouse
  • Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:19 AM

I bow to Sacman!

#6 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:35 PM

QueenBee - You have to have him recreate the celery sorbet dish for you.  In the words of Ohana Sushi, it was awe inspiring.  

#7 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,594 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:54 AM

RE: the celery sorbet -- it really was awe-inspiring.  Just the quintessential essence of it.  Bright both in appearance and in flavor.

Hard to choose favorite courses, but I loved: the chicharones, the hamdade -- light and fluffy meatballs that melted away in your mouth!!  the belly/cabbage dish, so simple, but crazy delicious.  And the pork cheeks -- out of the world melange of flavors.  Each one of the courses (after the starters) could have been a meal in itself, so perfectly balanced and complex they were.

I am jealous.  I am humbled.  I am full.  But mostly, I am thankful to be invited to such a wonderfully epic night of PORK!

#8 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:55 AM

Wow, looks fantastic.

Sac, can you toss me the back ribs recipe?

#9 sacman

sacman
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:FOOD

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:04 AM

I first wanted to clean about an inch off each rib to make them easier to handle.  But did you know there's a "right" end of the rib that takes well to cleaning, and a "wrong" end that's very difficult to clean?  I sure didn't.

Anyway, I separated the ribs prior to roasting and kinda cleaned the ends.  It was a simple roast: something like 250 degrees for 4 hours.  I made a glaze out of what I had available, which was probably a base of commercial bbq sauce, honey, tamari, minced ginger, and perhaps garlic.  I glazed them throughout the roasting, but reserved some of the glaze.

Then I fridged them overnight.

To serve, I heated up the remaining glaze in a pot on the stovetop, then tossed the ribs in to warm through.  I put them on a plate and snipped fresh chives from the garden on top.

That's it, more or less.

-sacman

- I am an employee of a Portland-based firm that has business relationships with several local food-related businesses.

#10 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:22 AM

Here is a photo of the ribs being warmed up in the pot.  You can really see here how he trimmed the ends of the ribs.

DSC06548.JPG