• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 goodbyeohio

goodbyeohio
  • Members
  • 268 posts
  • Interests:food & beer

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:27 AM

Surprised there is no thread on this place.

2835 SE Stark St, Portland.

I reviewed it back 6 or so months ago for Slice, and have been dropping by fairly regularly since they always have slices available. Quality has only gone up, and they've done the most to satisfy my craving for NY-style slice shop action. They also have really good garlic knots and a meatball sub with anchovy-based tomato sauce that is killer. Good but small craft beer draft selection as well. Check it out if you haven't already.

Cause I like to drink whiskey by the gallon, I live on peanut butter sandwiches, I don't care
GG Allin

#2 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:45 AM

I have and I forgot to post about it. It's good, and if this was about 10 years ago, they'd be the best in town by a mile. Definitley a good slice, and sometimes on a weekend for lunch, one slice is just fine. Really nice guy too.

Need to try that meatball sub, still haven;t found one in town that I truly love and seek out...the ones that tend to rise to the top for me are at NWIPA (not really a sub, but it is good), and Shut Up and Eat...but they still fall a bit short of really good for me.

Never give up! Never surrender!

#3 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:11 AM

Baby Doll Pizza  - Menu - Facebook

Our Hours
Monday – Thursday: 11AM to 12AM
Friday – Saturday: 11AM to 3AM

Sunday: 3:00PM to 11:00PM

We are located at:
2835 SE Stark St.
Portland, OR 97214

If you have any questions, call us!
503 459 4450

~ lots of things on the menu look good, but the meatball sandwich with the anchovy based tomato sauce and meatballs made with brisket and short ribs look like it's worth the trip.

#4 Adam

Adam
  • Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:14 AM

Thanks for the reminder, Jim. I still haven't gotten around to trying this place, even though I pass it driving to and from work every single day. Would love to find out we actually have a great slice place in town.

#5 Matticus

Matticus
  • Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:20 PM

Yeah I dig this place. I can't think of a better slice place in town. The small selection of beers is good and isn't just the usual suspects either. If I lived in this hood I'd be around a lot I think. Cheap, friendly and hits the spot. It knows what it is.

#6 Perkeo

Perkeo
  • Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:15 PM

Jim, I don`t know how many times I`m going to have to berate you to check out pizza Roma in Woodstock but, well...here`s one more. To be fair, I haven`t checked Baby Doll yet...still a horrible name!

#7 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:24 AM

Jim, I don`t know how many times I`m going to have to berate you to check out pizza Roma in Woodstock but, well...here`s one more. To be fair, I haven`t checked Baby Doll yet...still a horrible name!

It's named for a topless bar that used to be in the Tribeca (Manhattan/NYC - The Baby Doll Lounge) that was owned by the grandfather of the owner.

#8 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:46 PM

It's named for a topless bar that used to be in the Tribeca (Manhattan/NYC - The Baby Doll Lounge) that was owned by the grandfather of the owner.

Still, the name sucks.

It makes it sound like something it's not.

#9 EvaB

EvaB
  • Members
  • 579 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:00 AM

I had some very good pizza here this weekend. I tried the "meat" slice, which was sausage with onions. My friend had a pepperoni slice and a cheese slice. All were good. I think the meat was best in flavor and texture combo. The pepperoni itself was really good tasting and I'm sure the slice was as well, but I only had one bite. The cheese was the least crisp, but it might have been in the reheating oven for a shorter time. I thought the crust had good flavor and I liked the zest balance of the tomato sauce. All three of these slices were from pies sitting out in the case, and/but they reheated perfectly. A solid option while one's waiting to get into Ken's!

Oh, and I liked the tag line on their hand-drawn Pizza Delivery poster "We'll get there faster than the Police!"

Cool Moon Ice Cream

with apologies to Jack Prelutsky's "Bleezer's Ice Cream Store"

I am Eva Marianna
I run COOL MOON ICE CREAM STORE,
there are flavors in my freezer you have never seen before,
twenty-eight divine creations too delicious to resist,
why not do yourself a favor, try the flavors on my list...

#10 Adam

Adam
  • Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:21 AM

Good to know they deliver. The office ordered pizza for everyone last night, but they (and I) didn't realize Baby Doll delivered, so we got stuck with Sizzle Pie, which seems to be making a conscientious effort to get worse every day.

#11 Adam

Adam
  • Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:25 AM

Finally made it here last night for a full pie: half cheese half pepperoni & sausage to go. Unquestionably the best NY-style pizza I've had in Portland so far.

8717108935_f89d7451a0_z.jpg

One of the big things that sets this pizza apart from the other NY-style joints in town is the sauce. It's the first thing I tasted when biting into a cheese slice, and it's excellent. Most other sauces on NY-style pizzas are too sweet, too salty, and overherbed (like most canned versions). Baby Doll's tastes like fresh tomatoes, period. There's a little salt and a little seasoning in there, but not much. The tomatoes really shine on their own here, which is good, because most if not all of the saltiness is delivered via the potently cheesy aged mozzarella.

8717108913_813d2a6141_z.jpg

The weakest aspect is the crust, which is a standard, dense, bland affair. I wouldn't salt it any more than they already do, though, because the saltiness level of the pizza as a whole is pretty perfect as is. However I wouldn't blame you for not finishing these end crusts, because they're just not that interesting.

8718230400_02f8ed50c9_z.jpg

I preferred the cheese slices, if for no other reason than the fact that the sauce was more prominent, but the pepperoni & sausage half was worthwhile, too. Their pepperoni was a bit on the mild side for me, but I liked their house sausage; a little more fennel seed would have been nice, because the best bites included that unmistakable hit of anise. This half of the pizza really wasn't all that greasy, which really surprised me.

8717108951_1b5cf4ea0e_z.jpg

I guess if you order a whole pie they toss in one of their garlic knots. I almost never order garlic knots because I want to save more room for pizza, but I really liked this one, mostly because it didn't taste like it was imbued with garlic powder. A nice addition to an already delicious meal.

Can't believe it took me as long as it did to try Baby Doll, given how often I pass by it, but it's definitely going into the rotation now. Fingers crossed they'll continue to improve the crust, but it's still delicious pizza. Next I'll have to try one of their reheated slices to see how they compare. Thanks to everyone who kept recommending this place!

#12 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:16 AM

It looks ike they use the garlic knot instead of a piece of plastic to keep the cheese from sticking to the top of the box...which is brilliant, IMHO.  Had another slice there a few weeks ago and it was pretty tasty.  They have a nice little re-heater oven that gets your slice hot and crisp very quickly.

#13 goodbyeohio

goodbyeohio
  • Members
  • 268 posts
  • Interests:food & beer

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:26 PM

i know what you mean about the crust, its really hit/miss. the nonna pies though, the crust is always perfectly crisp with that fried dough/cheese combo texture around the edges. really a treat.

Cause I like to drink whiskey by the gallon, I live on peanut butter sandwiches, I don't care
GG Allin

#14 Adam

Adam
  • Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:27 AM

i know what you mean about the crust, its really hit/miss. the nonna pies though, the crust is always perfectly crisp with that fried dough/cheese combo texture around the edges. really a treat.

Good to know; I'll try that next!

#15 Perkeo

Perkeo
  • Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:31 AM

Had a whole pie recently and while good, the basic crust really put it in the average category for me. I still say that Roma in Woodstock is a contender for best slice in town but no one seems to be listening!

#16 Adam

Adam
  • Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:03 PM

Had a whole pie recently and while good, the basic crust really put it in the average category for me. I still say that Roma in Woodstock is a contender for best slice in town but no one seems to be listening!

Sorry, I'm listening, Perkeo. It's just that you're the first person to tell me anything positive about Pizza Roma, so it has never been high on my to-try list. Your persistence has pierced my stony heart, so I will try it as soon as I am able.

#17 Adam

Adam
  • Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 02:08 PM

Perkeo, I tried Pizza Roma and posted about it in its own thread. I'm afraid I have to respectfully--and strongly--disagree with you that it's superior to Baby Doll. The crust is just as bland as Baby Doll's, although I will concede it was considerably airier.

#18 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:33 PM

Finally made it in and had the meatball sandwich. Delicious, a really good sandwich for $7. I'll be back soon.

I haven't tried the pizza but I appreciate the No Pineapple Graphic.

#19 Hakan

Hakan
  • Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:05 PM

Seriously good meatball sub at this place. 

#20 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:27 PM

Agreed on the sub. I like the pizza a lot too. Great lunch stop for me.