Photo

Pressure cooker recipes

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,013 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:19 AM

OK, I made a new recipe in the pressure cooker last night and it was so easy and so tasty, I thought I would share it.  It is originally from NPR's site here (http://www.npr.org/2...-under-pressure):

Asian-Style Pork Shoulder

I like this pork shredded and served on buns with a tangy Asian-style coleslaw, but it's also great served over rice. For small amounts of pork shoulder, country-style ribs work quite well (make sure you get them from the shoulder and not the loin).

Makes 4 to 6 servings

1 1/2 pounds pork shoulder
1/3 cup hoisin sauce
1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 teaspoons Asian chili-garlic sauce

Trim pork, removing as much visible fat as practical, and cut it into 2-inch (more or less) cubes.

In a medium bowl, combine hoisin sauce, rice vinegar, minced ginger, minced garlic and chili-garlic sauce. Add pork and toss to coat.

Put pork and sauce in a pressure cooker. Close and lock cooker and bring the pressure up to 15 psi (usually the maximum setting). Cook 30 minutes. Remove from heat and allow pressure to release naturally.

When meat is done, strain mixture through a coarse strainer into a fat separator. If using in sandwiches, shred meat and set aside while you finish sauce. If serving over rice, leave meat in chunks.

Allow fat to settle, then pour defatted sauce into medium saucepan.

Bring sauce to a boil, stirring frequently to prevent scorching. Reduce to consistency of ketchup.

When sauce is ready, toss meat in it to coat and rewarm.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I used between 2.5 and 3 lbs of country style ribs and trimmed them down, and I doubled the other ingredients. I tried to be good about trimming the meat, hoping to avoid having to de-fat the sauce before reducing - and it worked, there was some fat, but not so much that it made it overly greasy. I recommend you do the work at the front end, a sharp boning knife is your friend.

So freaking easy and really delicious.  We ate it with rice and nori and an amazing namazake that Janis has in right now from the Watari Bune folks (Watari Bune, Shiboritate Namazake Genshu, Junmai-Ginjo from Ibaraki Prefecture - blue label with white kanji on green bottle) - a bottle Sue bought me for my b-day. So good!

It does bring up a question I always seem to have though, which brands of condiments are the best? We have an embarrassment of riches in terms of choices at FuBonn and other Asian markets...it's paralyzing.

I'm starting another thread for it, because I want to be able to find it later (as I want others to be able to do so too).

Never give up! Never surrender!

#2 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:You live to serve this ship<br />So serve well, and live<br />-Ben Hur

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:22 AM

What condiments are you looking for?

Methinks I am like a man, who having struck on many shoals, and having narrowly escap'd shipwreck in passing a small frith, has yet the temerity to put out to sea in the same leaky weather-beaten vessel, and even carries his ambition so far as to think of compassing the globe under these disadvantageous circumstances-Hume

#3 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,013 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:05 AM

New thread created here to discuss condiments: http://portlandfood....nts-whats-best/

(Pollo, I moved your post over - thanks!)

#4 tsw51

tsw51
  • Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:54 PM

Oooh Jill this sounds fab! I'm always looking for new ways to use the pressure cooker.

Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not. - The Lorax

#5 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,013 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:43 AM

We are loving the pressure cooker. I've been perfecting a meatloaf in a tomato- based sauce that is pretty tasty too. Sue doesn't like meatloaf without sauce, and I don't always have some on hand, so it is a great solution - just cook 'em together! And Sue makes a great beer-based braise with beef we enjoy. Post some of your faves in a new thread!

#6 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,525 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:55 AM

Should there just be a "Pressure Cooker Recipes" Thread? That way they don't get scattered through the topic. This thread could get rolled into it.

#7 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,580 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:00 AM

I just changed the topic title, since I could find no other threads.

#8 WAfoodie

WAfoodie
  • Members
  • 420 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:25 AM

So freaking easy and really delicious.  We ate it with rice and nori ....

Looks like it would be good within a steamed bao bun (Boke Bowl style).

#9 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,525 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:35 PM

Pressure Cooker Chili - Adapted from Alton Brown's Pressure Cooker Chili

Ingredients
3 pounds stew meat - I used boneless Painted Hills Short Ribs
enough oil to brown the meat
1 (12-ounce) bottle of beer, I used Anchor Steam
1 (16-ounce) container salsa
30 tortilla chips
A couple of tablespoons of Bufalo Chipotle Sauce (the original calls for 2 chipotle in adobo, plus some of the adobo - I was dealing with a heat sensitive crowd)
2 tablespoons catsup/ketchup
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin

3 cloves of garlic minced

1/2 onion finely diced

salt and pepper. 

Directions

Brown the meat - in your pressure cooker or like I did in a large cast iron skillet and deglaze with the beer.  Add the meat in 3 or 4 batches and brown on all sides,

Add the meat to the pressure cooker along with the salsa, onion, garlic, tortilla chips, chipotle sauce, catsup/ketchup, chili powder, and ground cumin and stir to combine.

Lock the lid in place according to the manufacturer's instructions. According to the original recipe this needs to cook for 25 minutes - it doesn't specify the pressure. I have a Wolfgang Puck electric pressure cooker and I cooked it for a total of 40 minutes on the high setting and it was perfect.

I made this a for Super Bowl Party and served it with black beans and steamed rice. I had the rest of the bottle of Bufalo Hot Sauce on hand for those that wanted more heat. The corn chips did a great job of thickening the chili.

#10 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:30 AM

I love my pressure cooker, use it all the time.  

So great when you want something like stew for dinner and you didn't start it until after work.   

It also cooks potatoes for mashed potatoes super freaking quick.

#11 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,013 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:01 AM

I love my pressure cooker, use it all the time.  

So great when you want something like stew for dinner and you didn't start it until after work.   

It also cooks potatoes for mashed potatoes super freaking quick.

I've seen a pressure cooker recipe somewhere that uses the steamer basket to make a meat loaf while the potatoes cook in the water below...haven't made it, though. 

I have made a meatloaf by browning the loafed meat in the pressure cooker and then sauteing onions, garlic and mushrooms and adding a can or two of tomatoes and assorted herbs and seasonings to make a red sauce and then put the loaf back in and cooked it in the sauce...that recipe is a clear winner. I don't need a sauce with meatloaf (I'm not much of a gravy person overall), but the GF does, and this is the perfect solution.  Plus if she wants pasta with it, no problem, there's already sauce for it...and you can even plan ahead by adding an extra can of tomatoes for more sauce.

I love the pressure cooker, too. The GF's is a Fissler, and it came with a short pot in addition to the big tall one. I really like being able to use the shorter pot for smaller braises, because we sometimes just braise meat in a bit of sauce without making a whole stew with veggies. It's easier to handle because I am short and also, damn, those pots are heavy.

What else y'all cooking in yours?

#12 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:42 PM

Tonight I did short ribs.

Browned them on all sides, salt & pepper.. took the meat out to get the rest going.

I chopped half an onion, couple stalks celery, like 3 smaller carrots, 3 garlic cloves, and a tomato and put it in the Blendtec to puree.  

I added some fresh thyme to the oil left over from browning the meat then tossed the veggie mix in and cooked it for about 6 mins.

Add in some red wine and beef stock and scrap up the bottom of the pan then add the meat back in and bring to pressure.

I did an hour and half.. sort of because I lost track of time outside with the kids.   I'd bet an hour would be plenty.   Meat was fall apart tender and flavored great.

I strained the liquid and cooked the strained liquid down a bit as I finished the potatoes and veggie.

#13 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,013 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:41 PM

Hmmm, I have never pureed BEFORE adding, but I have often done that with a finished dish. Seems like it would be WAY easier doing it that way...and I'd have less burning hot gravy flying through the air in the kitchen. ;o)  GF has a Blendtec too.

And because you said Blendtec: http://www.willitble...videos/view/134

...because it's hard to know whether you should get an iPhone 5 or a Galaxy S3.

#14 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:02 PM

About pureeing the veggies.. I just saw it in a recipe once.. and thought why not..  you're not really going to eat them anyhow.. and it's just for flavor..  it worked so I've done it the last dozen times I've braised meat.        

It also cuts down on chopping, since well.. you only really need to rough chop.. the Blendtec makes short work of the rest.

I love this blender... only time it let down a bit was pureeing raw chicken thighs.. I put too many in I think... it just started to overheat after using it for too long.     Cooled down, and still fine.

#15 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,013 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:53 AM

My mom always blended the veggies into the liquid after she cooked her pot roast, so I pretty much do that when I braise. I don't mind prepping the veggies, in fact even if I am not cooking I often act as sous for my Sue and do the veggie prep...but I am going to suggest that she use the blender next time. Seems easier and neater then the after blending...

If you really want veggies to eat with your braised meat, it's always better to add them at end, the ones that braise with the meat generally have given all they have to give. And though this is a bit less true when you use a pressure cooker (not that you can add anything after bringing it up to pressure anyway ;o), the veggies always seem better blended as a gravy anyway. And you get a gravy that doesn't have extra thickeners or fat yet still tastes great.

#16 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:06 PM

Jill, you can always add veggies later... just force release when the meat is about done.. add veggies.. bring up to pressure (or not) and cook for a few minutes and done.

I do it all time.