Neven
  • Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:38 PM

Kargi Gogo

Authentic Street Food from the Country of Georgia

950 SW Washington St, Portland, OR

http://kargigogo.com

Saw this cart going up last week. These days, when I see a cart bearing the name of a country whose cuisine isn't popular here, I'm skeptical since they often just serve the cuisine of the next biggest country. (Or the Bonnie Blue cart, which served "Romanian cuisine" in the form of burgers and hot dogs??) Anyway, the menu for Kargi Gogo didn't feature anything I'd heard of, so I had to try it. Went today for their 2nd day, got a bit of everything.

The khachapuri is a freshly rolled bread stuffed with cheese. It's very addictive, in that whey-meets-salt-meets-oily-dough way. It sounds simple, but I'd recognize it instantly among ten other cheese breads.

Lobiani is a similar bread, stuffed with refried beans and onion. I think this is a promising dish, but it needs more fat, more spices, and more salt. As it is, it's a bit bland, like a tortilla with plain beans on it.

Khinkali are large boiled dumplings, stuffed with ground beef and pork, and a bit of broth. They're slightly reminiscent of xiao long bao. I could've used more broth, and either punchier flavors in the meat, or a dip of some sort. 

The owners are an American couple who lived in Georgia for a few years. They were super friendly, and eager to see what we thought. While the lunch wasn't a clear slam-dunk (though that cheese bread definitely was) I think they're trying hard, and ten points for attempting something different. 

#2 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:49 PM

Thanks for the heads up. That looks like a good one to try with my vegetarian friends. They've got several vegetarian/vegan options.

#3 FoodKid

FoodKid
  • Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:43 PM

Picked up an order of the khachapuri while walking to Kale for lunch today. Good stuff. Would like to try the rest of the menu.