Hatch Restaurant & Bar by Killer Burger

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 HamSa

HamSa
  • Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:25 PM

Has anybody been to HATCH by Killer Burger yet?

http://pdx.eater.com...ch-now-open.php

#2 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:12 PM

I think it's your turn to TOFTT

#3 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:56 AM

Reading this:

The team behind the multi-location Killer Burger have made things official at new project, the Southwestern restaurant Hatch, opening the doors earlier this week. Killer Burger co-owners Mark McCrary and TJ Southard serve their New Mexican-inspired, family-style portions from breakfast through dinner in downtown's former Morning Star Cafe space. The morning meal includes dishes like chilaquiles, "Southern" benedicts with bacon and gravy, and skillets of chorizo and eggs. Lunch and dinner features a la carte tacos (chipotle beef, jerk pork, carnitas) that can be paired with sides like mango rice and polenta; other dishes include chili verde skillets, cauliflower salads, and quesadillas topped with salsa made fresh at an open-kitchen "salsa bar."

I can't say it sounds promising.    Jerk pork tacos, chipotle beef, mango rice and polenta.

Seems like tossing the kitchen sink, and seeing what works... much like KB did.      KB isn't bad the few times I went, but nothing that shows me I'd trust them.... but I could be wrong..hopefully I am.. but I'm not TOFTT on this one.. also it's Downtown.. I stay away unless I have a reason to be there.

#4 RM

RM
  • Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:18 AM

This is their opening menu from facebook - no website yet. Prices don't make me want to drive downtown.

Monday-Thursday 8:00am-10:00pmFriday-Saturday  8:00am-MidnightSunday   8:00am-1:00pm

510 SW 3rd Portland, OR 97024(503) 946-8946 

* Portions are intended for sharing & Served "Family Style"

BREAKFAST

Chorizo & Eggs                  $12.00

Biscuits & Gravy                $8.95

Chiliquiles                         $9.95

Chili Verde & Eggs             $9.50

Meat, Potatoes, Eggs         $13.00

Bacon & Eggs                   $9.50

Hashbrown Skillet             $9.50

Breakfast Burrito               $8.95

Pancakes, Eggs, Meat        $6.50/$10.95

Southern Benedict            $11.95

Egg Bake                         $10.95

BREAKFAST SIDES

Pancakes                             $2.50

Biscuit                                 $1.50

Egg(2)                                 $2.50                    

Meat                                   $3.50

Fruit                                    $2.95

Polenta                                $3.50

Hash browns                        $2.95

Chile Verde                          $3.50

Toast wheat/white                $1.50

DRINKS

Coffee                                  $2.00

Juice                                    $2.00

Orange, Apple, Pineapple, Cranberry, White Grape

STARTERS

Chips & Salsa (Salsa Bar)                 $6.25

Chips & Queso Fundido                    $7.95

Quesadilla                                      $6.00

Corn on Cob Wheels                       $4.95

Fried Plantains                               $5.95

SALADS

Green                                              $7.95

Southwestern                                   $10.95

Cauliflower                                       $10.95

SIDES

Polenta                                           $3.50

Colonel Sanchez                               $4.95

Green Chili Rice                                $5.95

White Rice                                       $2.00

Mango Rice                                      $4.25

Beans                                              $3.50

TACOS $2.50 each

Chicken, Chipotle Beef, Carnitas, Ancho Beef

TACOS $3.50 each

Jerk Pork

SKILLETS

Jerk Pork                                       $14.95

Multi Spice Chicken                        $12.95

Carnitas                                        $12.95

Chipotle Beef                                 $13.95

Chile Verde                                    $13.95

Ancho Beef                                    $13.95

DESSERT

Pie                                                $4.95

Pecan, Pumpkin, Peanut Butter

Add Vanilla Ice-Cream                   $1.95

FULL BAR

#5 Perkeo

Perkeo
  • Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:31 AM

Whole lot of nay saying, no actual reports = useless

#6 jmatt

jmatt
  • Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:49 AM

Hatch

#7 Neven

Neven
  • Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:58 AM

Well, I actually ate here the day they opened, folks!

The menu is quite small, and definitely more lunch-y than dinner-y (it's the same menu for both). We had:

Chips + queso fundido with mint. Yeah, mint. It worked quite well. The cheese was smooth and hot, the chips very fresh and tasty. 

Polenta: it's good polenta, but it needs to be served a lot more interestingly. Unless you order a bunch of flavorful stuff along with it, it's… just polenta.

Plantains, maduros style: pretty good. Small portion, not a great value.

Colonel Sanchez: it's a bowl of corn, black eyed pea, cheese, chile, onion. Very savory and satisfying. This was the thing I liked the best here. Of course, everyone called it "Dirty Sanchez".

Carnitas: served with ok flour tortillas, more polenta (I think this was a kitchen mistake; it's supposed to come with something else) and two salsas, both good. The meat itself was… not good. Way too dry, and relying on salt for flavor exclusively.

Service was so-so, but I don't mind since it was day one. Most things are served in (cold) skillets, and it's kind of a pain to scoop things out of those with a fork. (No spoons were available.) There isn't really another option for this kind of food downtown, but then again it's not totally clear what the food is; it's Southwestern-y, but in an odd way. If they focus on more sensible combos and improve their meats, it could be pretty decent.

#8 Joedo6

Joedo6
  • Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:37 AM

- * Portions are intended for sharing & Served "Family Style" -

So does this mean that entrees come out at different times because they assume everybody is sharing the plates?  If so that is annoying, especially for a downtown joint.  No I do not want to share my meal with my co-worker.  I'll almost certainly hit this place up in the next couple of weeks to try it but if I have to watch my lunch-mate eat his meal while I wait for mine to come out 15 minutes later then that will be aggravating.  I hope they would accommodate those who don't want things paced out.

#9 Egads

Egads
  • Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:32 PM

Many places that intend for stuff to be shared family style will adjust accordingly if you tell them "yeah, we're not sharing." I can't imagine a place would open downtown and not be aware that the majority of their weekday clientele is going to be made up of people who aren't anxious to share their food with co-workers. 

#10 Perkeo

Perkeo
  • Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:14 AM

Nobody complains about Tasty and Sons/Alder serving this way, why does Hatch catch hell for it???

#11 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:You live to serve this ship<br />So serve well, and live<br />-Ben Hur

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:26 AM

Perkeo, I'm assuming because of the downtime location.
Most downtown lunches are likely to get in and out type business lunches.
Many people do not care to share food with business acqaintances.
I don't think, given the lines and waiting and space issues, that many people would do business lunches at Tasty and Sons.

I think most people are making a demographic expectation.
(ps- not saying I agree with the above, just that it is often the logic)

Methinks I am like a man, who having struck on many shoals, and having narrowly escap'd shipwreck in passing a small frith, has yet the temerity to put out to sea in the same leaky weather-beaten vessel, and even carries his ambition so far as to think of compassing the globe under these disadvantageous circumstances-Hume

#12 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:05 AM

I've been to both lunch and brunch at Tasty and Alder and at both the meals were served separately.  This is awkward when you are not sharing.  At a weekday brunch the plates were at least 10 minutes apart.  But you know that when you walk in (and I'm pretty sure they tell you as much).

I wonder what T & A would do if you told them you were not sharing?  Would they bring the plates at the same time?

#13 Egads

Egads
  • Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:34 AM

My wife and I had brunch at Tasty & Alder, and told them we weren't sharing (she's a vegetarian, I am not), and they brought our dishes out at the same time. They might have been one or two minutes apart, but it wasn't anything crazy or awkwardness causing. 

#14 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:You live to serve this ship<br />So serve well, and live<br />-Ben Hur

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:16 AM

Yeah- many places will do that if you ask and if they can.
I would say that for people that very emphatically do not want to share calling ahead to see if it can be accomodated is a good idea..

Methinks I am like a man, who having struck on many shoals, and having narrowly escap'd shipwreck in passing a small frith, has yet the temerity to put out to sea in the same leaky weather-beaten vessel, and even carries his ambition so far as to think of compassing the globe under these disadvantageous circumstances-Hume

#15 jcoll4

jcoll4
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:27 AM

you guys are afraid. KB has the best green chile burger in town. their burgers as a whole are great. griddled with awesome lacy edges... full of fat and juice, strong buns. 

i suppose if a resturant comes around that isn't being run by a known chef, or serving obscure foreign delicacies its met with instant skepticism. however, you all rushed out to try bollywood theater and it sucks. 

All I did is say I eggs in a vegan dish..

#16 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:41 AM

you guys are afraid. KB has the best green chile burger in town. their burgers as a whole are great. griddled with awesome lacy edges... full of fat and juice, strong buns. 

i suppose if a resturant comes around that isn't being run by a known chef, or serving obscure foreign delicacies its met with instant skepticism. however, you all rushed out to try bollywood theater and it sucks. 

If you're going to make an ass of yourself, at least do so based on reality. 1) Some people, such as Neven, obviously did "rush out" to Hatch. 2) Its location probably deters most people; downtown is not generally a destination except for fine dining, like Gruner or Clyde; people go because of proximity; even places that people love like Metrovino don't get that many people from here going regularly because of its inconvenient location. 3) Lots of people here did "rush out" to Killer Burger when their original one opened, including myself. 4) To the extent Killer Burger misses some of the media's love it has more to do with their locations being in the burbs where the Portland media has a tradition of ignoring. But I'm not sure Killer Burger gets either less love than they deserve or are all that ignored.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#17 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:19 PM

Oh for fuck's sake, it JUST opened.  The first post in the thread is from five days ago.  Before you go shilling for a friend and insulting the board, give people a chance to actually go there and see for themselves.

#18 jcoll4

jcoll4
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:49 PM

you don't know me. i am not shilling, u mad? 

All I did is say I eggs in a vegan dish..

#19 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:21 PM

32641994.jpg

#20 goodbyeohio

goodbyeohio
  • Members
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:food & beer

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:28 PM

yeah-there-were-horses-and-a-man-on-fire

Cause I like to drink whiskey by the gallon, I live on peanut butter sandwiches, I don't care
GG Allin