Facebook: www.facebook.com/blackheartbagels

Phone: 503-683-2602

#3 kenbareilles

kenbareilles
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

I've had their bagels.

They are delicious, if you are an aficionado, you should give them a try. More of a denser, stouter shape, I would say more traditional. Super nice people, too.

#4 Gallina Gallo

Gallina Gallo
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:06 PM

We went and got some last weekend after trying Pie Hole Spot for breakfast (sausage-egg breakfast pie was baller). It's a window on the corner of the car rack shop…easy to miss.

The kind person trapped in the 5' x 6' space lead us through the fascinating way they packaged their bagels. We could buy multiples of singles, 3-packs or 6-packs. The bagels were prebagged, and the helper scratched off what you buy to maintain her daily inventory. I think a dozen were ~$16.

We purchased 1 spicy, 1 plain, 1 sesame and 3 cinnamon raisin. We tried the plain one immediately and found it to have a hard crust with a delicious sourdough tang on the inside. It was a little too crusty for our taste, so we toasted the sesame back at home. I have to say that it was the best toasted bagel I have eaten in Portland. The crust and the innards matched into a perfect harmony of a slightly sourdough, sturdy bagel. I know some people don't believe in toasting a fresh bagel, but I am not one. Especially with these results.

The spicy came next. It had red chili flakes, black sesame seeds and garlic on top. The heat from the pepper wafted up from the toaster in an eyeball-singeing miasma, but the heat stayed tempered in our mouths. But we like spicy. We'd definitely get it again.

My wife enjoys Cinnamon Raisin bagels, and she likes their version. I found that they lack the doughy-bready innards and felt brick-like compared to the others. And the raisins seemed tertiary. Not my fave, but the missus is happy.

Overall, I like these bagels for keeping around and toasting. I think they hold up compared to Bowery. Not sure they scream traditional to me, but the results are definitely worth eating.

#5 ariel88

ariel88
  • Members
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:42 PM

Anybody been here lately? A friend of mine tells me that she has tried to go 3 times and they always seem to be closed, including at 9am this morning (a Friday).

#6 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 05:06 PM

They claimed to be open Friday, Saturday and Sunday if I remember correctly, starting at 0800. They weren't open today a few minutes after 0900.

Henry Higgins is open at 0700 on Saturday and Sunday at 52nd and Sacramento, just off of Sandy. They're a bit disorganized, but the bagels are good, the people are nice and they're there when they say they'll be there.

#7 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 05:09 PM

From the Blackheart Bagels FB page from Wednesday, May 15

"So I'm closing the bagel window. Don't be sad, it's a good thing! Blackheart as a company is doing well, but I'd like to concentrate on building a solid wholesale base. As adorable as the window is, prepackaged bagels are a pain for me and for the customers. So let's wait until I can afford a real shop: one with chairs, coffee, salami and local sheep cheese. Until then go have a sandwich at Aliviar, Rain City Coffee or grab a dozen at the Hollywood Wholefoods. Love you all! Thanks for the incredible support! Thanks especially to Bo and the Rerack boys for letting us share their building."