Camaron Azul

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:13 AM

1725 SE 122nd. Looks set to open mid March. It looks more upscale than P.M.

#2 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:57 AM

Saying more upscale that PM isn't saying much.. ;)

Any one got info on who's opening this, what they've done before?

#3 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:31 PM

Saying more upscale that PM isn't saying much.. ;)

Any one got info on who's opening this, what they've done before?

So true! Funny!

#4 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:14 PM

I drove by today and noticed they are open for business! The grand opening is in 2 weeks. The menu looks fantastic, 75% mariscos I'd say... I just tried to place an order to go, but the phone number on the menu is incorrect. I'll check it out tomorrow. I'm really excited about this place!

#5 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,066 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:53 PM

I was just going to say the same.
The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole & Kenny & Zuke's

#6 sfspanky

sfspanky
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:41 PM

Went tonight with my daughter. Very promising start for a restaurant that has only be operating for 3 days. The menu is much smaller than Puerto Marquez, which is a good thing. Some dishes that I haven't seen in Portland, like aquachile, are on the menu.

Daughter got the botanas de camarones en concha. Easily 14 good size whole prawns (head to tail, including shell) perfectly cooked in a light chile broth. That's it. Our waiter at first was shocked as both my daughter and I at them whole, without peeling. He smiled. I know it's not usual for most Americans, but it really is the way this dish is meant to be eaten. Especially the heads. At $13, I could see this being a normal order for us. Much like the camarones sarandeodos at Don Camaron's.

I ordered the campechana. Menu stated that it came with clams, shrimp, oysters and octopus.I think they were low on oysters (I only got 1), which is where the surprise mussels came into the picture. I don't hate mussels, but I don't swoon over them and I've never had them in any cocktel or campechana . Very good amount of seafood for $13, but it was mostly shrimp. I would like a nice balance of all the seafood, when I order such a dish. The waiter, who I think is part of the ownership, asked how it was and I told him what I thought, especially that I was dissapointed in not getting more oysters and octopus... also that I didn't think mussels was appropriate substitution. He agreed and bought me a beer, which was not necessary as they had only been open for 2 days. I fought him, but he insisted. The broth was very clean with the essence of the sea. The seafood was cooked perfectly. I just added more lime juice and hot sauce to doctor to my liking. If the ratio had been better executed and had it really been oysters instead of mussels, it would have been a home run.

A friend was eating a couple of tables away. He got the aguachile and ceviche tostada. Both looked amazing and he said he was extremely happy. I think I'm gonna get those two dishes next.

Waiter said that the grand opening party (29th or 30th) will be 2 for 1 entrees. 

They really seem to care and it showed with my waiter, who I believe is also an owner. Glad to have more mariscos in this town. I can't wait to go back.

Brian Spangler
Apizza Scholls

#7 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,066 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:38 PM

The owner at the next door tienda is a really nice guy and seems very passionate. Thanks for the report. I hope to get there this weekend. Nice to hear they're doing shell-on. It's the way they're best.
The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

#8 sfspanky

sfspanky
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:29 PM

Nice to hear they're doing shell-on. It's the way they're best.

Yup. It really takes the dish to another level. The shells add so much flavor that you're missing out if you don't eat them. The best part? The heads, of course. The aguachile looked perfect. I think I'm heading back on Sunday night, when I know it will be busiest. Domingo is always my favorite day to eat at authentic Mexican restaurants. I love all the families enjoying that one big meal out. Great vibe. Me gusta la cultura y gente. 

Brian Spangler
Apizza Scholls

#9 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:32 PM

They looked open when I passed by the other day and I got pretty excited about it.  Now I just need to get over there!

Best regards,

Amanda

#10 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:43 PM

They are closed on Tuesday FYI. They open between 11 am and 12 and close at 11pm the rest of the week. I love the ceviche, the pescado, pulpo and camarones are all great, but I'm looking forward to getting some people together to try it all. We had a great Portland Food event at Puerto Marguez ages ago. When this place gets up and running and has a phone, would anyone be game to have a group meal here?

#11 vj

vj
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:22 AM

Yes!

#12 friedalighthouse

friedalighthouse
  • Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:38 AM

That would be fun.

#13 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,066 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:53 PM

Took a couple nights off and went to Camaron Azul for dinner. We ordered an empanada de camaron (normally an order of three, but they let us order one), aguachile, and pescado zarandeado.

8578534177_6dc6ccb6d3_z.jpg

They started us with some decent chips and salsa -- pretty standard stuff with a tomato saucy salsa probably made in-house and some thin and crisp chips, also probably house-made, that would have tasted better in better oil.

8578534765_3475429a6e_z.jpg

The empanada was pretty good as well. It was crisp, though a little doughy inside. But the filling was simple and well-seasoned. Tastier than most. Moderately spicy green salsa came on the side.

8578534343_35991aee4b_z.jpg

Aguachile was even better. The leche de tigre wasn't as spicy as many would be for aguachile but it had a kick. Lots of veggies included with the 10 shrimp. I was hoping they might do head-on shrimp, but they were peeled with heads removed. Personally, I prefer slices of cucumber for the dish, but the spears with chamoy on them was a unique touch. I just don't like chamoy much.

8579635472_f12f894960_z.jpg

Finally the pescado zarandeado, which was the best dish of the night. I asked what fish they used and the waiter said "basa", but it seemed to be bass, as in striped bass, which is pretty common for the dish. Much better cheap option than tilapia, which shows up on occasion for the dish. Red snapper, snook, or pargo would all be better, but at $25 for a whole fish... The marinade was very buttery and rich with nice crusted areas. Tortillas were just commercial and probably just microwaved warm, but still it was a tasty rendition of the dish and comparable to the version from Puerto Marquez, though probably less-crusted. It came with mediocre beans and rice.

A good start for the place. I'll be interested to see how their ceviches are. I have a feeling they'll fall a little short of Puerto Marquez overall, but it seems like a solid addition.

#14 Neven

Neven
  • Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:23 AM

Camaron Azul isn't showing up on Yelp/Google/etc. yet, so here's a quick note about their hours: they're open every day except Tuesday.

I found out the hard way. On Tuesday :)

#15 Neven

Neven
  • Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 02:53 PM

IMPORTANT NOTE: As of last week, Yelp was listing this place as being on NE 122. It's SE.

Finally got around to visiting Camaron Azul with my family. We liked Puerto Marquez, so we figured we had to check out the replacement.

The chips, salsa, and beans they started us out with were nice. Warm chips, and I always appreciate a bean dip. Got the shrimp empanadas to start, which tasted fresh and creamy/savory. The dough was soft and gummy in a good way (I don't like it when it's dry on the outside, like a turnover.) I'd get them again.

I got the  botanas de camarones en concha on Spanky's recommendation. I wish more proteins were served this way: simply (but flavorfully) dressed, with fresh veggies on the side. I ate about 8 of them head+shell on, and while I didn't mind it, I was starting to get "full" so I switched to peeling them. The shells picked up more of the (simple but addictive) pepper sauce, so they tasted richer. But, this won't be everyone's cup of tea :)

I liked the molcajete at Puerto Marquez, and while this one was different, I probably liked it about as much. A big, dangerously hot mortar filled with sizzling shrimp, octopus, fish, mushrooms, and cheese. It's casserole food, but I like it. Made nice tacos with the included tortillas (not handmade, but fine), rice, and beans.

The kitchen brought out a big, complimentary dish of flan, which was fine. A bit more "solid" than I'd like, but it tasted ok. Nice gesture, either way.

A friend got the whole crab, and dubbed it both delicious and a great deal for the portion size.

The place looks… nice, though a bit "hollow". There was no one there, and since it's all one big room with high ceilings, the effect is not unlike eating in a basketball court. Our server was extremely nice, but also not totally great at his job—everything took too long and was kind of wonky. This is not something that would stop me from coming back, but keep it in mind if you're in a hurry. We'll be back.