Old Lucier space

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 myswandive

myswandive
  • Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:15 AM

Didn't see a thread already started. But Chris Onstad just posted this non-review review of the media dinner. It sounds so horrible that I almost don't believe it. Would be interested in hearing from other folks who attended this dinner.

http://blogtown.port...oke-and-mirrors

Butternut squash and gorgonzola "raviolis" [sic] were half-cooked and splashed with a broken vincotto sauce. They were plated with more of the expired arugula, which this time was stirred together with...something like a tomato confit. Bone-in cajun ribeye was cooked perfectly, but had the marbling of something that just squeaked in to Choice. It was atop under-seasoned mashed potatoes and below cold, flavorless shoestring onions. Someone had hit the steak with a "1993" (squiggle) of white cream sauce. Dessert was a use-your-fork-like-a-maul pecan pie with some blueberries dropped onto the top of it—which then rolled around on the plate, presumably looking for their purpose—and a first draft of a rather outdated bacon ice cream on a decent roasted peach cobbler.

Blueberries and pecan pie are baffling.

#2 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:24 AM

Quartet

1910 SW River Dr

EaterPDX Article

#3 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,066 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

You go on with your bad self Chris Onstad! 

He should have said something to the manager, but at least he didn't lie to him...like I am so sure everyone else in that room did.

Thanks for posting that myswandive!

Never give up! Never surrender!

#4 ariel88

ariel88
  • Members
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:57 PM

Wow.

Btw, the comments to the EaterPDX article are as bad as our old Lucier thread....

#5 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:20 PM

Damn, was hoping this place would at least be mediocre, but it just sounds bad.

The building and the view are fantastic.    You don't even need to match that, you just need to not suck.

#6 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,066 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:11 PM

I split off a discussion about press dinners and what purpose(s) they serve here:

http://portlandfood....se/#entry163821

Never give up! Never surrender!

#7 ariel88

ariel88
  • Members
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:04 PM

So........ The reviews on Yelp are pretty mixed so far. Anyone here TOFTT?

#8 ariel88

ariel88
  • Members
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:00 AM

WW review of Quartet:

http://www.wweek.com...ay_off_key.html

#9 janeannechovy

janeannechovy
  • Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:36 PM

I'm sure this won't come as a surprise to anyone, but a friend reported that her daughter was serving there and ended up quitting after one too many paychecks bounced . . . . 

#10 Kernel

Kernel
  • Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:12 AM

Well, this doesn't sound good . . . 

http://blogtown.port...vency-suit-says

#11 Egads

Egads
  • Members
  • 609 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:09 PM

Well, this doesn't sound good . . . 

http://blogtown.port...vency-suit-says

Seems like this spot is just destined to host one barely adequate but expensive restaurant after another. I don't understand restaurant financing so I'm sure my question will seem hopelessly naive, but why not just try to fill that space with a *good* restaurant, one that will bring people through the door? I know Pok Pok isn't going to open a spot there, but is there no chance that someone with more of a track record would go in there? Does the swanky location sort of render that question moot? Is it the sort of deal where to open anything there you absolutely *must* be upscale? 

#12 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:15 PM

Put in a Cheescake Factory and draw the lines.

#13 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,066 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:51 PM

They probably need to break it into multiple spaces or maybe part event space, part restaurant. And it should contain one of best snobby bars in the city.  Really, though, it needs a hotel on top of it.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole & Kenny & Zuke's

#14 averilpdx

averilpdx
  • Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:30 PM

Closed

via WW

http://www.wweek.com...lly_closes.html

#15 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,602 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:05 AM

"Quartet's troubles started early, with a bizarre pre-opening-night "non-review" by a Mercury writer...

The guys at WWeek are still butthurt about a blog post a year later. They must need a very tall stepladder to mount their high horse.

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#16 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,602 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:09 AM

https://twitter.com/...184831431876608  

Nice how he brought race into the mix for no reason at all.

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#17 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,066 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:39 AM

Stealing.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole & Kenny & Zuke's

#18 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:You live to serve this ship<br />So serve well, and live<br />-Ben Hur

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:58 AM

Is a member of the press talking in the press about a press dinner inherently racist? Or is it only racist if the impression is negative? Or only racist if it is a competing

magazine's critic?
Portland journalism is so complex.

Methinks I am like a man, who having struck on many shoals, and having narrowly escap'd shipwreck in passing a small frith, has yet the temerity to put out to sea in the same leaky weather-beaten vessel, and even carries his ambition so far as to think of compassing the globe under these disadvantageous circumstances-Hume

#19 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:17 PM

BTW, I had thought this place had already shuttered last year.     It was a lame concept in a high-rent spot.