Bevmo - Vancouver

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:40 PM

California liquor store chain BevMo plans to open its first area superstore in east Vancouver's Target-anchored Mill Plain Town Center, the company confirmed Tuesday.

They've got a few stores up north in Tacoma, Tukwilla and Silverdale. 

The prices for liquor in the Tukwilla stores online don't look that great at first glance. I wonder if the prices will come down as they add more stores and have more buying power?

#2 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:55 AM

Kind of hard for the prices to be too good, because it's pretty much all liter tax and liquor tax that is making things so expensive.      Bevmo can't change that, as it was written into the law.     

By the time you take into account the product cost + both taxes you kill just about any chance of getting a truly good retail.

#3 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:53 PM

The wine pricing may actually end up being the bargain. I haven't looked into it that much. 

I'm sure you are correct about the tax costs tamping down any real bargains.

#4 joburn

joburn
  • Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:30 AM

Last time I shopped in a Bevmo many liquor prices weren't drastically lower than around here- except that there were sales (and darn good ones) that state-run liquor stores don't really have. 

#5 WAfoodie

WAfoodie
  • Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:01 AM

Went to the pre-opening last night. I'd forgotten about all their offerings, such as the various lines of cigars. A one-stop shop for liquor, wine, cigar, party items and foods is a plus for convenience.

It opened officially today at 9 A.M.

BevMo! Vancouver, WA

700 SE 160th Ave., Suite 111
Vancouver, WA 98683

#6 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,594 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:12 AM

I haven't had a chance to visit any WA liquor stores since the change over, but I'm curious how selection has improved.  Are you finding more different and rarer spirits (not just at Bevmo but in general)?

I think this could be a way for at least the border stores to cash in until the price situation make them more attractive.

#7 WAfoodie

WAfoodie
  • Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:27 AM

I haven't had a chance to visit any WA liquor stores since the change over, but I'm curious how selection has improved.  Are you finding more different and rarer spirits (not just at Bevmo but in general)?

I think this could be a way for at least the border stores to cash in until the price situation make them more attractive.

I'm finding that the selection, for what I want, is still better at Portland's Rose City and Hollywood stores. Yet there were some items of tequila that were available at BevMo that were not available in the Portland stores. The local private liquor store near me struggled with the new law and changed their inventory from liquor to craft beers.

The selection in Cali's BevMo was larger still.

What's convenient about BevMo is getting your liquor, wine, beer, caviar, cigar and some limited cheese, crackers, salami, chips, with a serving room for tasting artisan beers in a convenient one-stop shop.

#8 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,594 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:05 AM

FYI there are $5 coupons in yesterday's and today's Oregonian.

#9 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,046 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:20 PM

There's a square footage requirement in Washington, correct?  That seems like one of the several mistakes in their law.  It's great to have places like Costco and Bevmo and Walmart to keep (eventually) keep prices down on big name items.  But ultimately, the advantage for the discerning consumer can only come through boutique liquor stores that fill niches.  You want a tequila shop with 500 brands to be able to make a go.  You want a place that has 1000 whiskeys and that's all they do.  Etc.  You want the same sort of thing you have with wine, but for spirits.  That will never be Bevmo or Costco.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole & Kenny & Zuke's

#10 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:12 PM

The law was crafted by Costco....

I'm guessing 95% of the customers want the lowest price possible on Jose Cuervo and couldn't give a rip about the other 499 brands of tequila.

#11 RM

RM
  • Members
  • 565 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:40 PM

I believe that the square footage minimum for WA liquor stores was put in the law to allay fears that they would end up with every 7-11, etc selling booze.

#12 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,046 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:16 PM

I believe that the square footage minimum for WA liquor stores was put in the law to allay fears that they would end up with every 7-11, etc selling booze.

That would be easier to believe if it was more like 3000 square feet rather than 10000. (And it's retail space, not the space of the building; that's f'n huge.  Think.  Kenny & Zuke's is 2500 square feet per floor.  So four of those -- just in retail space -- as a minimum.) Generously, we can probably say that it was a concern.  Cynically, that it was protectionism by the big boxers in crafting it.  You could also add some qualifiers, like below 10000 sq ft, it must devote at least half of its space to spirits or something like that.  No C-store is going to do that.  In other cities where C-stores can sell spirits, it's usually just a small display behind the counter.  Instead, here are the execeptions:

• There is no spirits retail license holder in the trade area the applicant serves or proposes to serve;
  • The applicant meets or upon licensure will meet operational requirements established by the board in rule; and
  • The licensee has not committed more than one public safety violation within the two years preceding application.

It explicitly sets forth a monopoly for any existing small stores while allowing basically unbridled competition from big boxers.  Bad law.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

#13 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:46 AM

That's not even the problem with the law, it's the fact it didn't actually do anything but offer some more convenience for consumers.     It pretty much universally raised the prices, and prices are still better in Oregon almost across the board from the limited research I've done.

It's pretty easy to pull up the OLCC price list when at a store and see.

..and it's still not like they can just order anything they want, it's got to come from the distributors.

#14 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,046 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 02:35 PM

If you look at the 2013 estimates, WSLCB expects to spend $97 million less while netting an additional $109 million that they would not have had if the previous system had stayed in place.  They're doing this by forcing distributors and retailers to provide at least the same government revenue post-change to pre-change.  They're actually expecting to get more revenue.  However, they're not passing along the savings on government spending post-change to the consumers.  Bonus for the state is the money they're getting from auctioning off state liquor stores, etc, too.  I'm sure some people are fine with it.  It means money can be transferred from a relatively useless function to something more needed, plus an additional dollars that can be spent on whatever the legislature wants to spend it on.  With pot tax money soon to be rolling (pun-intended) in, I expect to see government services expanding in Washington -- or perhaps a fight over lowering broader taxes, such as sales or income.

http://www.liq.wa.go...Nov-30-2012.pdf

#15 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,594 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:34 PM

BevMO?  How about BevLESS.  The selection is so very minimal that I can't imagine a Washingtonian crossing the street for it, let alone an Oregonian driving 25 minutes.  Absolutely nothing unique in the way of spirits and beer.  Some prices a couple of dollars less than OR, but when you factor in tax, as mentioned above, it's no bargain.  And, yes, Oregonians are required to pay tax on alcohol.  

The only thing it has going for it, IMO, is the growler fill station.

There was one thing I hadn't seen before.  A little plastic envelope o' booze called, that's right, Pocket Shots http://www.pocketshot.net/news.php

#16 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:28 AM

I was over near Bevmo yesterday and the old State Liquor Store on Mill Plane that is near Bevmo was having a closing sale. The guy in the store was not forthcoming about why the store was closing.

They had what few items they had left marked at 30 to 40% off, but with the 30% tax applied at the register anything that I might have considered buying would still be cheaper in Oregon Stores.

#17 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:59 AM

Again, it's not really Bevmo's fault.. it's the stupid ass law up there making it hard for them to get things.    The taxes kill any chance of real bargains. 

The liter tax even kills cheap booze pricing considerably.

#18 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:42 PM

That was a pretty good store in the State store days. They had some things that weren't available in Oregon and very helpful staff.

I'm normally a fan of Costco, but this is about them wanting to sell liquor and damn the consequences.