• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 bnrgoalie

bnrgoalie
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:mixology, hockey, poker, good food, dogs,

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

Surprised I haven't seen a review of this place yet ... we had dinner there this past Wednesday evening.  We'd read one review (Portland Monthly, I believe) that commented on the lighting (too bright) and noise -- don't know what they were talking about with respect to the lights, and while the ambience was energetic, I've certainly eaten in much louder places than this and didn't find fault with the noise level at all.  Food-wise, she had the rotisserie chicken (very good), I had the grilled sturgeon (excellent) and we shared the flatbread (outstanding).  I think we've followed mixologist Dave Shenaut to every restaurant he's been a part of, so we knew we were in good hands with the drinks -- an excellent menu focusing on classy, classic cocktails.  After dinner, we went upstairs to the Rookery Bar, which is even better -- it wasn't very crowded, I can see it being a happening place on a Saturday night, but we sat by the fire on a couch and enjoyed another cocktail. 

All in all, an exceptional evening. 

#2 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,555 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

Address: 1331 SW Broadway Rd, Portland, OR 97201
Phone:(503) 222-7673
Hours:
  Monday Closed Tuesday 5:00–10:00 pm Wednesday 5:00–10:00 pm Thursday 5:00–10:00 pm Friday 5:00–10:00 pm Saturday 5:00–10:00 pm Sunday Closed

http://www.ravenandrosepdx.com/

#3 mymil

mymil
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

The bar program is the thing I'm most looking forward to exploring at Raven and Rose. Too bad it's in SW...

#4 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:28 PM

Had a nice first stop at Raven & Rose. Steak tartare was the high point. Predictably rich with the addition of an egg yolk, but enough salt and tart lemon as an offset. Probably my favorite version of this since the carne cruda at Alba.

Also notable was a delicious celery root/hazelnut soup. This was the dish that reminded me that the chef was a Park Kitchen alum. A bit of brightness from the apple reduction was a nice addition.

Cocktails were excellent. Although that's not surprising since Dave Shenault is at the helm, he was tending bar at Rookery upstairs. The bartender at the downstairs bar was more than up to the task. That's not a given. A few notable bars in town have a steep dropoff when the bar manager is away.

An encouraging first visit, so I'll be back soon to try out more of the menu (saw a very nice rotisserie chicken go by). This was Friday night and there was action at both the Schnitz and the Keller, so it was busy. If it's as good as I suspect, it will steal some of the theater crowd that might normally go to Higgins, Ringside, Heathman, etc.

#5 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,555 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:21 PM

FYI, the drink menu upstairs is broader than the one in the restaurant.  Like Flynn, the woman who made our drinks downstairs knew what she was doing.

I love the space and FWIW, the furniture.  The downstairs bar has really comfy, cushy barstools.  And the upstairs bar has couches and a fireplace and a pooltable.  It's just a comfortable space that makes you want to linger.  And with those great drinks coming, well who wouldn't?!

I've only had one meal, and this was like a week after opening, so the menu may be bigger now.  It's a meat and potatoes kind of place.  The lady had the roasted chicken and enjoyed it very much; it was crispy on the outside and succulent underneath..

#6 friedalighthouse

friedalighthouse
  • Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:56 AM

We had a light meal at Raven and Rose last night, and I found it disappointing. I thought the celery root and hazelnut soup was thin and acidy without any depth of flavor. I passed it on to Mr. F. to finish. We shared two small plates: the mussels and the noodles with duck. The mussels were overpowered by the powerful taste of the sausage crumbled on top, and we didn't even finish the dish (and we're not known for leaving leftovers). The fresh noodles were nice on the duck dish, but the duck was mushy and unrecognizable as such, with some kind of mushy root vegetable adding to the gummy texture. The Ken's bread plate was great, with a crispy flatbread. Apart from the food, the space is lovely, and it's wonderful to be in such a historic building. I was surprised to see a comment about bright lights: it was pretty dark in there (6:30 last night). And I have to compliment the service: the servers were attentive and kind, and the overall vibe was really nice. It was very crowded, too. I hope this was an off night, or that the food improves from what we ate (or chose badly to eat, or maybe we just don't like their style of cooking).

#7 JimProuty

JimProuty
  • Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:53 PM

Just got back from Raven & Rose during Portland Dining Month.

I am happy to say I'm quite impressed with the food and drinks there.

Tonight my wife had the short ribs and I the special Portland Dining Month dinner (they substituted the rotisserie chicken for the sold out pork shoulder). Both dinners were excellent in flavor and preparation.

I've found that if even the side dishes/accompaniments such as sauteed carrots or spaetzle are good then that quality carries over to the main entree. And both the side dishes and entrees were excellent.

They take their drink preparation seriously, too; their quality holds up well against even Teardrop and Beaker & Flask.

We will be back!

#8 breakfastguy

breakfastguy
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:35 PM

Enjoyed a nice (and uncrowded) brunch there last weekend. Had a "rabbit and biscuit" with creamed spinach that was excellent, and another highlight was an asparagus hash with mushrooms, spinach, potatoes, mustard and creme fraiche. They serve it weekends 10 to 2, and while it's on the high end of local brunch prices, the place is nice, and it's a welcome relief to just walk in and sit down.

#9 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,555 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:10 AM

This place has come under regular rotation for us for cocktails.  This week, we finally made it in for one of their Whiskey Wednesdays.  They poured a flight of Yamazaki 12, Hibiki 12 and Hakashu 12 for $12.  They also were making cocktails and had a band.  Very comfortable space.

#10 mymil

mymil
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:06 PM

Yamazaki 12 is whatever, but Hibiki 12 and Hakushu 12 are very nice. Were they 1 oz pours of each?

#11 breakfastguy

breakfastguy
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:57 PM

Figured I'd post a link to my review of their weekend brunch, with pictures.

#12 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,555 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:10 PM

Yamazaki 12 is whatever, but Hibiki 12 and Hakushu 12 are very nice. Were they 1 oz pours of each?

At least 1 oz.  Never had Hakushu until then -- so very very delicate and delicious.