Seriously? That was, what, 2 weeks? 

#23 Neven

Neven
  • Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:15 AM

:blink:

My understanding is that it was just one day, since he was mainly in charge of the dinner service, which they just soft-debuted. I could be wrong, though.

#24 ariel88

ariel88
  • Members
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:20 PM

:blink:

My understanding is that it was just one day, since he was mainly in charge of the dinner service, which they just soft-debuted. I could be wrong, though.

Dinner soft-opened on Fri Feb 8. They were going to soft open on Feb 13th, but too many people had found out about it so they decided to move it up. DH and I went on the 8th, and though I felt like it was too early to write up our experience, I'll say that it was mostly positive and there is a lot of potential there.

#25 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:40 PM

Too many people found out about it? They sent out an email, I'm pretty sure. First rule of soft opening: don't email about soft opening. ;)

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#26 ariel88

ariel88
  • Members
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:46 PM

Too many people found out about it? They sent out an email, I'm pretty sure. First rule of soft opening: don't email about soft opening. ;)

I don't know what to tell you... that was straight from Gorham's lips. *shrug*

#27 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:00 PM

Went back again yesterday morning.  Got there at 10:15am and they told us 20 - 30 min wait time, but after about 15 min, we got lucky and 3 seats at the counter overlooking the kitchen opened. 

Tried two new things:  The Korean Fried Chicken with eggs two ways and the roasted apple with cheddar & bacon.  Both were stellar.  The KFC was boneless, ridiculously crunch & spicy with a hint of sweet.  Only KFC I liked as much as this was Tanuki's when they were serving lunch at Kitchen Cru.  Came with a fried egg, chopped up hard boiled egg, not-too-fermented kimchi (just how I like it) and lots of green onion and perfectly cooked short grain rice. 

The roasted apple with cheddar & bacon was also great.  Thick cut bacon lardons bordering on bacon candy.  Nice layer of cheddar & a pool of maple syrup on the plate.  The half apple is a bit small for $5, but given the quality & expense of all the ingredients on that plate, I can hardly say it's a complaint. 

We also ordered the bim bop bowl again, the steak & eggs with cornmeal pancake and french toast. 

It's a good thing the lines are long because I'd spend way too much money here otherwise.

#28 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:06 PM

I almost never post about a new restaurant because, let's be frank, they so often suck.  Or should I say that it takes time for most places to get their shit together.

Last night was the official opening night for Tasty N Alder, and because of the folks who run the place, it was fantastic right out of the gate.

Even though they have several excellent tap choices, the cocktail list looked so interesting that I had to start with one.  The Black Pearl -- a heady mix of barrel aged cachaca, applejack, averna and tobacco bitters.  Half liter drafts of Paulaner pils, Hofbrau Hefe, and Hacker Pschorr dunkel are $7 and pints of pFriem Strong Blonde and Double Mountain Hop Lava are $5.

The food.  There were four of us, so we split: lg. simple green salad $9, 2 orders of Blaze's smoked wings $9 ea..  The wings had a nice smokiness and laquer, but I wouldn't waste precious stomach real estate on them when there are so many other delicious meat opportunities to be had.  To wit: double Grilled Ribeye (Cascade Natural), perfect crunchy sear and mouth melting meat $29.  Iberico pork skirt steak, long thin slices of slightly fatty and tender pork served with a heartily smokey romesco lg. $28.  The Duck Duck potatoes are potato wedges, coated with something crispy, fried in duck fat, served with sour cream and topped with a duck egg $8.  I will never not order this again.  Incredibly rich combination of fat and starch.  Speaking of which, we also ordered the Cavatteli Sugo, toothsomely tender, rich and satisfying $14.  Also a couple of orders of broccolini to assuage the guilt $4 ea.

The rest of the menu looks fantastic.  The meat choices range from traditional steak house, to Argentinian, along with cevapi and foie.  The two stews (one beef one fish) look appealing too.

So nice to have this in the neighborhood.

#29 ariel88

ariel88
  • Members
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:59 AM

We were there on the night they soft-opened for dinner, and (especially for the very first dinner service) I was really impressed with the food. The flat iron steak was absolutely amazing. I had also been waffling about whether to post a full review because it was so early, but suffice it to say, we will totally go back again for dinner.

Since then I've had the bim bop bacon and eggs, which was a really nice savory brunch item.

#30 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:01 PM

They have 4 or 5 tables on the sidewalk now that are first-come-first-served.  So while there was a mob at the door and a 50 min wait, we sat down in less than 5 minutes for brunch at the peak 11am hour. They do this with the bar seating as well, so if you're there without kids, this is also a great way around the wait.  

#31 RM

RM
  • Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:53 PM

We finally made it to Tasty & Alder for dinner last night. Wonderful meal. The double grilled ribeye had a really good smoky flavor, reminded me of Podnah's smoked prime rib. The Saigon Brussels Sprouts were great - the sweet fish sauce they were cooked in was right along the line of PokPok's fish sauce wings and the crispy sprout leaves were so good we ordered another plate. Bacon wrapped shrimp cocktail featured 3 large prawns and certainly was tasty but I'd have enjoyed a bit more for $15. Don't miss the fries. Their wine list was priced at between 1.5 to almost 2 times retail (at least for the northwest wines I was familiar with).

This place starts seating for dinner at 5:30PM. We really lucked out with our timing - We showed up at 5:15 or so and got the last seat at the bar. By 5:20 there were at least 25-30 people in the bar and entrance area waiting for dinner. After we were seated in the dinning area, the last empty 4 top was filled just before 6PM. 

Looking forward to going back and trying some more of the very interesting brunch menu.

#32 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:34 PM

Those brussels sprouts are quite good.  I took a friend with me that normally hates green things and I think that was his favorite item.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#33 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:02 PM

We've had them also. They're lick the plate awesome.

#34 ariel88

ariel88
  • Members
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 05:27 PM

Last time I was there for lunch (mid-Nov), I saw a lot of plates of brussels sprouts going out... and then one showed up at my table too. "Here! These are new! Try them!" And they were FANTASTIC.

#35 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:52 AM

Was here for the first time on Sat. night for dinner before the Southern Culture on the Skids show at the Crystal Ballroom (which was awesome!).  Had some very good cocktails - we tried:

Raconteur- cask  bourbon, averna amaro, l'afrique vermouth  10

Improved Whiskey Cocktail rye, maraschino, bokers bitters, herbsaint, demarrera  10

Jersey City wathen reserve bourbon, carpano antica vermouth, angostura bitters  13

We had the grilled octopus, the gaucho ribeye (not smoked and with chimichurri and farofa), fries (fried in beef tallow), grilled broccolini and shared panna cotta with bourbon apples for dessert (along with a cold brew coffee and a brandy alexander shake which we combined and shared - we needed the caffeine to stay awake for the show! ;o)

Loved the octopus, but have to admit that we have been loving Cibo's octopus salad more lately, so it suffered in comparison - still solid prep and delicious octopus. The steak was good, but the fries were great - thin, crispy and delicious fry sauce on the side. I liked the broccolini, but I wish we had ordered the Brussels sprouts (had some amazing ones at Ox last week though, so was looking for something else, I guess). And honestly, John Gorham makes the best panna cotta in town - has since his Simpatica days, and probably before that too, it is always a great choice at any of his restaurants.

I enjoyed this meal better than dinner at Tasty and Sons, but not as much as many I have had at Toro Bravo (still my fave of his restaurants). We have excellent steaks on this side of the river (Ox, Laurelhurst Market, and Nostrana are all closer to home and have great steaks) don't know that I would cross the river for this same meal, but I definitely would go back and try other things off the menu.

One thing that was stand-out obvious though - service here is better than anywhere else in the city...unless you count John's other restaurants, which have equally excellent service. Plates constantly cleared, check-ins that leave you wanting nothing while not being too obtrusive (that is an art, IMO), drinks replenished when you need them, water glasses always filled when necessary, check there right after you ask for it...and everyone so nice and friendly.

Never give up! Never surrender!