Early February

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Plump_and_Juicy

Plump_and_Juicy
  • Members
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

I want to have a no-host party in early February, preferably on a weekend for brunch. I'm counting heads at about 30 people, not all of whom are particularly wealthy. I called Otto (always trying to keeping them busy) but was told that we'd have to spend $50-$60 a head if the restaurant was closed for the party, which is more than I think my friends can afford. 

Ethnic is fine, (what's the best dim sum place now?) but plain old American brunch is good too. East side, west side, all around the town (Gresham is a bit too far). 

Ideas? I don't necessarily want to close the restaurant, but it would be best if we had a separate dining room.

#2 Neven

Neven
  • Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

I saw a party of about 20 at El Inka recently. (They still seated us at a small table on the side.) I'm not sure if they can fit 30, but if they can, they will. The prices are very low there, and the food is among the best in the area.

#3 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

What about mi mero mole?  Not sure how busy they are weekends during the day but maybe they can work something out with you.  My other thought is to see if Simpatica can accommodate your group for their Sunday brunch, and block off a few of their long tables.  

For Dim Sum, we like Ocean City best and they have many large round tables with lazy susans in the middle.

#4 abefroman

abefroman
  • Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

ciao vito now doing brunch, he can handle 30. dim sum, try golden garden on 122nd. very good, fresh and plenty of seating on weekends, no wait and they have the space to accommodate you. Ocean City is good but they may not take reservations. 

#5 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,037 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

Clyde Common just started brunch (I haven't been yet) and they are already set up for communal seating, don't know if they can accomodate 30, but a phone call will answer that one.

I would think a restaurant attached to a hotel would probably be able to help you (and, come to think of it, Clyde Common is ;o) like The Original, Nel Centro, The Imperial, Gracie's...and I am sure there are others.

Bonus is that a restaurant attached to a hotel should be easily wheelchair accessible too.

Never give up! Never surrender!

#6 Plump_and_Juicy

Plump_and_Juicy
  • Members
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:09 PM

Ocean City - didn't they have a very low health score in the last year? Failing? Have they brought their cleanliness and food handling levels up since then?

That was about a year ago, when they scored a 45. The last score was 97. I guess it's safe to go back in the water. 

Edited by Plump_and_Juicy, 15 January 2013 - 05:13 PM.

#7 Perkeo

Perkeo
  • Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

What you have on your hands is a BANQUET so you should plan accordingly. This doesn`t mean that you have to do sit down full course meals, you can have banquets that are appetizer based, but groups of 30 aren`t welcome in most restaurants during regular buisness hours. There are exceptions of course, but most places don`t want to be taken over by 30 people, espescially if they are on the "frugal" side, plus it`s an imposition on the restaurant`s other patrons. It`s surprising how few people understand this...

#8 Spints

Spints
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:25 AM

Spints could accommodate a party that size in our back room. We just started our brunch menu. Check.it out at spintspdx.com

#9 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,037 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:42 AM

Spints could accommodate a party that size in our back room. We just started our brunch menu. Check.it out at spintspdx.com

I was just coming back to this thread to say you should check and see if Spints can accomodate you.  Sue and I had a very good brunch there on their first day.  We need to go back...

Parking is usually pretty easy there, and I believe that it is fully accessible.

Never give up! Never surrender!

#10 Spints

Spints
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

Thanks Jill for the rec, highly appreciated. I hope to see you two in soon!

#11 abefroman

abefroman
  • Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

What you have on your hands is a BANQUET so you should plan accordingly. This doesn`t mean that you have to do sit down full course meals, you can have banquets that are appetizer based, but groups of 30 aren`t welcome in most restaurants during regular buisness hours. There are exceptions of course, but most places don`t want to be taken over by 30 people, espescially if they are on the "frugal" side, plus it`s an imposition on the restaurant`s other patrons. It`s surprising how few people understand this...

On the other hand, there are many restaurants that can accommodate a group of this size. As you say, even if they are on the "frugal" side, todays business climate dictates that establishments to do what they can to accommodate a party of this size. Of course this is up to the individual establishment and what they think their capabilities are. Chinese restaurants are often a very good option as you can get a lot of food for a reasonable price and quickly. 

#12 Perkeo

Perkeo
  • Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

Eh banquets are easier to arrange than most people think and can often be a decent alternative price wise. Or maybe Grand Central....

#13 Plump_and_Juicy

Plump_and_Juicy
  • Members
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

Allissa (sp?) I'm trying to reach you by phone. I lost your cell number. I've left my number on the restaurant's voice mail but haven't heard back. Would you please call me? I'd like to send out invitations and I want to make sure that I have the location correct. Thank you.