Bar Dobre Hawthorne polish stan pratnicki

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 loki

loki
  • Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

I may be a little biased because I know the owner personally (full disclosure) but that being said this small little place that once housed "birddog" and "No fish go fish" is putting out some seriously good food.  

Being half Polish, Stan Pratnicki (chef/owner) has gone back to (half) his roots and come up with a menu that has items familiar to many and then quite a few Polish dishes (most of which I am unfamiliar with but have been pleasantly surprised as I work my way through the menu).  I have been there three times and haven't even made my way through half the menu yet. The beer battered cheese curds are so delicious that I have had to order them every time I go.  The chicken liver pate is as good (if not better) than those I have tried in many high end places in town.  They make everything in house including the Kielbasa and "porkstrami".

I am hopefully attaching the menu but I am not the savviest when it comes to computers so fingers crossed.

Stan is well known around town having worked for Atwaters back in the day as well as Taqueria Nueve (to name just a couple).  Most recently (before jumping head-first back into the restaurant game) he was a buyer for Provista so you know they have connections to great product.

Stan is a chef through and through and you can tell that he loves what he does.  Do yourselves a favor and stop in for one of their unique and inventive cocktails and stay for something to eat.....you won't be disappointed.

The Attached File  bar dobre MENU December 2012 (2).pdf   233.98K   55 downloads

#2 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,021 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:00 AM

Thanks for the report loki, it's been at the periphery of my radar, may have to move it closer to center...

Never give up! Never surrender!

#3 loki

loki
  • Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

As an update Chef Stan is Mothers Bistro's' honorary "Mother of the Month" for January.  Lisa Scroeder and Stan attended the CIA together .

http://www.mothersbi...om/m-o-m/story/

#4 loki

loki
  • Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:38 PM

I'm surprised nobody here has checked this place out.  In the past two weeks they have had really good reviews from the Mercury and the Willamette Week.  I continue to frequent the place and it is lovely to see them getting busier and busier.  Not that I am too worried.....it is still a great little "secret" so to speak.  The two bartenders (and I think the only waitress who works there) are incredibly friendly, efficient and personable.  The food is just getting better and better.  The way things are going I'd imagine people will have to join a waitlist for tables at prime time before long.  Nothing like it in the area!  Very happy to see them get the business they deserve.

#5 FoodKid

FoodKid
  • Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:28 AM

I actually went here a couple weeks ago and never got around to posting. I had the porkstrami reuben. It was perfectly tasty, but it feels like a bit of a misnomer. The tenderloin was rich and flavorful, but it didn't have enough smoke flavor and basically none of the pepper that I associate with pastrami. I'd like to try some more of their food. What I'd like to see change, though, is the long bench they use for seating. It has an inward slope that causes you to slide backwards into your seat, and when paired with me trying to lean forward to eat my food, it hurt my back to sit there.

#6 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,021 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:46 AM

I've been and thought it was OK. Had pierogies a salad and golumpki, all shared with the GF. She loved it, I was underwhelmed. I've had better frozen pierogi, these were very thick and the filling was OK but not anything I feel I need to order again. The salad I barely remember so it must have been OK but not all that thrilling. Sue loved the golumpki but again I was underwhelmed. The sauce was thin and I didn't think it was all that flavorful, filling was OK. You get two nice sized cabbage rolls, making it an easy thing to share and a good deal if you like them. I've had good Polish food (lived in Chicago for almost 5 years in the 90s) and had a Polish/Russian grandmother who was not a great cook overall, but definitely made better stuffed cabbage. It wasn't my first time eating Polish food. I'm really glad that this place exists, any place that can bring us something not had elsewhere in town is good for the food scene. It's just not my thing, I guess.
Never give up! Never surrender!

#7 PotAFaux

PotAFaux
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:32 AM

I actually went here a couple weeks ago and never got around to posting. I had the porkstrami reuben. It was perfectly tasty, but it feels like a bit of a misnomer. The tenderloin was rich and flavorful, but it didn't have enough smoke flavor and basically none of the pepper that I associate with pastrami. I'd like to try some more of their food. What I'd like to see change, though, is the long bench they use for seating. It has an inward slope that causes you to slide backwards into your seat, and when paired with me trying to lean forward to eat my food, it hurt my back to sit there.

Im glad you bring this up. My experience at Dobre was affected by the uncomfortable angle of the bench seating as well. Reminds me of the awkward booths at Virginia Cafe in that, unless im lugging around a 200 lb gut, I will have to sit all the way at the end of the seat to reach the tiny table.  

#8 TastyTidbits1

TastyTidbits1
  • Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:07 PM

Went tonight and we really enjoyed our meal. Started with a few cocktails and then perogies. The perogies were clearly homemade and comforting. Not as good as Pat's, my friend's mother's, but aperogies are one of those deeply personal foods that are imprinted from childhood (I could have what others think is the best perogie they've ever tasted, but to me, it would never be as good as Pat's). The kielbasa is made in-house and had great flavor. Juicy and nicely cooked. I could eat a bucket of the sauted greens that came on the side - firm greens with sweet onions and smokey porky bits balanced with a vinegar finish. It is a small restaurant; the interior is simple, welcoming, and we found the tables/chairs comfortable. We really appreciated the rectangular wall hangings to help reduce noise. Why don't more places do this? As a side note, for those looking for a low/no starch meal, this is a good choice as the chef will gladly swap the potato pancake for more of those tasty greens.