Barrel

Fine Wine + Tasting Bar

14740 NW Cornell Rd #160

Portland, OR 97229

971-245-6000

Tues - Sat 11am - 8pm

http://www.barrelfinewine.com/

https://www.facebook.../BarrelPortland

This is a new wine bar & shop that's replaced Cornell Wine Shop.  It's next to Pizzacato on Cornell Rd.  I was waiting for our pizza next door, so I stopped in and took a look around.  First thing I noticed is that they've got a lot of interesting/different wines than what's available nearby at QFC, Safeway, Whole Foods, etc.  2nd thing I noticed was that bottle prices were reasonable.  I didn't have my camera with me, but I picked up a couple of menus, which are in the pics below.

They do Friday night wine tastings, and are coming up with a HH menu soon as well as other food options. There are some photos of the space on yelp here.   

This past Friday night wine tasting was Australian Malbec's.  5 wines for $8 plus a bonus pour. Again, very reasonably priced.  They said they had around 50 people for that tasting, and are getting the nearby Claremont (a 50+ golf community) & Oak Hills crowd coming in.  

If I didn't have the little one at home, I'd easily drop in here for a glass of wine and snacks regularly since it's so close to the house.  Didn't get the owner's background but his name is Mark Jacobsmeyer.  Really nice people running the place and I'll be back to buy bottles for sure.  

food.jpg

wine_list.jpg

#2 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,001 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:56 PM

My neighbors went for wine tasting last night.  They said there were around 25 people there at 6:30pm.  Flight of 5 tastings for $8 plus a bonus pour, and someone else brought in a couple of special bottles so there were an additional 2 wines for tasting.  Sounded like fun.  The shop was pouring Syrahs from OR, CA, Australia, and France.