Gallo Nero - Tuscan Cuisine

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 aristo

aristo
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:40 PM

Recently moved to the Pearl District and stumbled across this small hidden gem at the corner of NW Everett and 9th.

The Chef/owner and co-owners are from Florence, Italy. Food is simple and very satisfying. All the staff (at least during my visits) is Italians and the place just feels right. They opened about 6 months ago and are yet to be discovered, so you are likely to have a table without a wait, despite the small size of the place. They open for lunch and dinner + brunch during the weekend.

For brunch I tried the Crespella (Omelette filled with ricotta & spinach & topped w tomato sauce). Do as I did and negotiate (for a surcharge) smaller portions of all 3 sides: greens, roasted potatoes and pancetta. I love the way they brown the edges of the omelette – against the “rules” but delicious.

The dinner menu is available during lunch and brunch too. So far I tried:
• Fegatini (bruschetta of chicken liver, capers, and anchovies). Simple but good. Personally, I would love something acidic on the side, like tomato slices, but it was enjoyable as is.
• Tortellini in Brodo (Think small folded raviolis in chicken broth). The tortellini are made in house and where every bit as good as I had in Italy. The broth was a bit too thick for me and not enough of it (I prefer the lighter clear consume broth). Nevertheless, very enjoyable.
• Tortelli di Patate. House made fresh Florentine style stuffed ravioli with potatoes and tossed with garlic and olive oil. Excellent.
• Filetto. “Fillet Mignon of Piedmontese. Local grass-fed beef in a Chianti reduction”. It comes without sides, so I highly recommend to order their side of roasted potatoes – nicely browned potato slices with lots of olive oil. Together they made an good combination.

In addition to the regular menu, they have some interesting specials. Prices are mid range reasonable. Pastas run $12..$16, mains: $15..$18, sides: $5..$6

Espresso drinks use Umbria coffee and are well made.

Worth checking out!

www.galloneropdx.com
903 NW Everett St.
Lunch & Dinner Tue..Sun
Brunch Sat, Sun

#2 davide

davide
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

Hi, 

my name is Davide, chef owner of Gallo Nero, I would like to thank for the compliments

and in the occasion I would like to post the menu of the first Tuscan dinner we are hosting at our restaurant.

Trattoria Gallo Nero Corridor '5 Special guest Conte Capponi with Villa Calcinaia January 30th at 7pm   Ribollita florentine vegetables and bread stew served with Comitale '11 (Bianco Toscana IGT 90%grechetto, 10%vernaccia)   Crostini di baccala', lardo e fegatini crispy polenta with salt cod, bruschetta with lard and chicken liver served with Piegaia '11 (rose' 100% canaiolo)   Pappardelle ai porcini pappardelle sauteed with porcini mushrooms served with Villa Calcinaia '09 (Chianti Classico DOCG)   Spezzatino di cinghiale Slow cooked wild boar shoulder served with Casarsa '08 (“Super Tuscan” Rosso Toscana IGT)   Cantucci alle mandorle tuscan cookies with almond served with dessert wine   Dinner is $50 including wine

#3 ariel88

ariel88
  • Members
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

I remember when this was Mr. Jolly's coffee bar, and the happy hour pasta offerings had hinted that they had someone in the kitchen who knew what he was doing. We had been meaning to come over and try Gallo Nero for a while and finally got around to it a few weeks ago.

The take-home message is that even though I expected the food to be good, I was utterly surprised by *how* good it was. Especially for the price point. We ordered several courses, including pork medallions and a fish special. The entrees were a la carte, but the portions were generous. Presentation was elegant. Service was excellent, especially regarding the wine recommendations. People should really check this place out. It is flying under the radar for sure.

#4 davide

davide
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

hi, again we are having a special guest from Tuscany, this coming Wednesday Marchese Francesco Mazzei will be with us featuring his wines paired with our simple Tuscan food. 

Here is the menu and all information about the wine and the food, we still have a few seats available...

Thank you

February 20th 2013   Antipasto cold cuts, italian vegetable tempura and vol-au-vent with porcini Badiola '10 (toscana IGT, 70%sangiovese, 30%merlot)   Primo pappardelle sul coniglio pappardelle sauteed with slow cooked rabbit sauce Fonterutoli '09 (chianti classico DOCG, 90%sangiovese, 5% malvasia nera, 5%merlot)   Secondo costoletta di cervo al chianti con ginepro venison chop braised in chianti with juniper berries Castello Fonterutoli '06 (chianti classico DOCG, 85%sangiovese, 15% cabernet sauvignon and merlot)   Per finire... pecorino di grotta e antico toscano con frutta, miele e mostarda aged sheep milk cheeses served with honey, fruit and “mostarda” Siepi '06 (toscana IGT, 50%sangiovese, 50%merlot)   Dinner is $50 including wine and tips For reservations call 503.206.6388 Trattoria Gallo Nero – 903 NW Everett St

#5 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:12 AM

I had a wonderful meal here last week and I thought it was a great value: $84 (not including tip) for really good bread, two entrees, two sides, 1 dessert and a bottle of wine and an espresso.

I didn't write down the name of the wine but it was an Italian white, Tutti Something...very good and only ~$28.

I had the special of Ricotta/cheese stuffed Ravioli (tortelli?) with a sauce of pureed peas - really delicious.  I just had a taste of the Sand Dab fish special, but it was good.  Lots of little bones, though.

The sides of Fagioli al coccio (Slow-cooked cannellini beans in a terracotta pot with garlic and rosemary) and Inzimino (Sauteéd spinach and tomatoes) were so good (is sublime too strong a word?), I'd consider going here and just ordering each of the contorni for my meal.

Dessert was an Pear tart with gelato - It was well done though the tart seemed more moist than I'd expected (I may be more used to a French style tart).  I'd recommend it.  Heck, I'd recommend just about any dessert that isn't creme brulee or chocolate molten lava cake...

Ambience and Service were very good.

Highly Recommended

--------------------
You cannot legislate compassion into your fellow man (or woman, as the case may be), but we should at least attempt to create a society in which each individual has the opportunity to realize his or her potential. If we meet our citizens' needs for Health Care and Education, everything else will take care of itself. --Me

#6 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:You live to serve this ship<br />So serve well, and live<br />-Ben Hur

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:05 AM

Heck, I'd recommend just about any dessert that isn't creme brulee or chocolate molten lava cake...

I suppose that means chocolate molten lava brulee is absolutely out of the question.

Methinks I am like a man, who having struck on many shoals, and having narrowly escap'd shipwreck in passing a small frith, has yet the temerity to put out to sea in the same leaky weather-beaten vessel, and even carries his ambition so far as to think of compassing the globe under these disadvantageous circumstances-Hume

#7 davide

davide
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:04 PM

Here I am again with our monthly appointment...back to Piemonte, but not only, because we'll be pairing Nebbiolo (the grape) in all his shades with several little dishes. That will be interesting, but...here is the menu:

Il Nebbiolo nelle sue differenti sfumature
Wednesday March 27th 2013
prima
fonduta, salmone e asparagi con uova, salsiccia e stracchino
(fondue, locks and asparagus with eggs, sausage and cheese)

La Novella Chiavennasca'11 (Terrazze retiche di Sondrio IGT,nebbiolo, chardonnay)

poi
gamberi in salsa rosa, cozze gratinate e seppie ripiene
(shrimp in pink sauce, cozze gratin, stuffed squid)
Monchiero NV (nebbiolo rosato, 100%nebbiolo)

dopo
agnello alla menta, duchessa di patate e pomodorini gratinati
(roasted lamb with mint, potatoes and stuffed tomatoes)
Pietro Nera '06(Inferno DOCG, 100% Nebbiolo)

Per finire...
formaggi, mostarda e gelato alla nocciola
(cheeses, fruit “mostarda”, hazelnut gelato)
Livia Fontana '06 (Barolo DOCG, 100% nebbiolo)

Dinner is $60 including wine and tips
For reservations call 503.206.6388
Trattoria Gallo Nero – 903 NW Everett St

Thank you
Davide

#8 TastyTidbits1

TastyTidbits1
  • Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:37 PM

Looks like a wonderful menu.

#9 averilpdx

averilpdx
  • Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:59 PM

Quick write up about my lunch here today. I came in craving wild mushrooms and pasta- they had these ingredients elsewhere on the menu but no dish that combined the two. I asked if they could throw something together for me. They did, and it was great. Perfectly al dente pasta, earthy, flavorful (dried ) porcini, some rosemary, garlic, parsely and cream- etc. Nothing unusual or cutting edge, just delicious! Service was lovely (and it was so nice of them to accomodate my craving!) I love their menu, lots of veggies! I will definitely be back to try more of the menu with more people. Please give these guys a shot- they seem to be very worthy of success!

#10 davide

davide
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:54 AM

hi everyone,

just thought to post our next wine dinner menu. Ferrari the Italian champagne...

Thursday June 27th, 7pm     lobster salad with green peas, octopus and potatoes buffalo caprese in puff-pastry, Salame and figs crostini seared squid on cannellini puree, celery hearts and radishes sockeye lox wrapped with stracchino and asparagus Brut Metodo classico nv   orange risotto with steamed shrimp Perle' Metodo classico '06   rabbit with hazelnut gelato and mostarda Giulio Ferrari Riserva '99   fruit salad and champagne sorbet Rose' Metodo classico nv       dinner is $70 including wine for reservations call 503.206.6388