Photo

Thai Food - Which Entree you love the most?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 richardbamboothai

richardbamboothai
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:06 PM

Thai Food - Which Entree you love the most?

Pad Thai

Pad Thai or Phat Thai (Thai: ผัดไทย [pʰt tʰāj], "fried Thai style") is a dish of stir-fried rice noodles with eggs, fish sauce (Thai: น้ำปลา), tamarind juice, red chilli pepper, plus any combination of bean sprouts, shrimp, chicken, or tofu, garnished with crushed peanuts, coriander and lime, the juice of which can be added along with Thai condiments. Pad Thai is one of Thailand's national dishes.

Pad Kee Mao
or Pad Kimao, Lao: ຜັດຂີ້ເມົາ; Thai: ผัดขี้เมา, RTGS: phat khimao, [pʰt kʰːmaw]) is a Chinese-influenced dish that was made popular by the Chinese people living in Laos and Thailand. It is a stir fried noodle dish very similar to Phat Si Io, but with a slightly different flavor profile. It is made with broad rice noodles, soy sauce, fish sauce, garlic, meat or tofu, bean sprouts, and various seasonings. Chili and basil give rise to its distinctive spiciness. Drunken fried rice or khao phat khimao is a similar dish.

Pineapple Fried Rice
Thai jasmine rice is fried up with chunks of pineapple, plus cashews, peas, and currents with a curry-flavored sauce. Includes cooking tips to create perfect fried rice

If I had missed any other favorite Thai dishes.. reply to posting

www.bamboo-thai.com
Richard

Bamboo Thai

www.bamboo-thai.com

email: bamboo-thai.com

(503)241-2691

#2 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,591 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:39 PM

egg rolls
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. George Carlin

#3 ariel88

ariel88
  • Members
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:27 PM

FWIW, I like the idea of this topic having its own thread. Lord knows we talk about thai restaurants enough on this board that it would be good to collect opinions (if a thread doesn't already exist; I couldn't find one).

Just to give Richard a heads-up, since he's new -- this food board is a really great community of people, and I want you to know your audience. You'll find that many people who read and post on this board really love food and will go to great lengths to seek out the best versions of something. Others are adventurous eaters who will try obscure things on your menu (or will encourage you to offer dishes beyond Pad Thai and fried rice). Soliciting opinions without knowing the audience here is likely to net you smart-assed answers (like the 'egg roll' post above) rather than helpful ones.

That being said, I am in love with a dish called Khao Tod Naem Kook. Chiang Mai on SE 32nd and Hawthorne makes it, and I can't stop eating it whenever I'm there. Runner up is Khao Soi. Som Tom is also delightful.

An extensive debate about who makes the best Khao Soi is here: http://portlandfood....page__p__155006

Also, discussion of the best Pad Thai and the best Pad Kee Mao are here:

http://portlandfood....page__p__132165
http://portlandfood....page__p__136312

#4 richardbamboothai

richardbamboothai
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:55 AM

Egg roll... We call spring roll. ariel88 you know your Thai food... Khao Tod Naem Kook,Khao Soi. Som Tom etc.. Those are very great choices.
I had been introduced to portlandfood.org by someone from yelp. He mentioned that portlandfood.org is much friendlier people compared other food communities.
I did taken liberty to create bunch of face book page for all Thai Disk to provide input and overview of each Thai dish on menu we service at bamboo Thai. (www.bamboo-thai.com).

Bamboo Thai

www.bamboo-thai.com

email: bamboo-thai.com

(503)241-2691

#5 TastyTidbits1

TastyTidbits1
  • Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:05 AM

Instead of a favorite, I'll start with asking for a few dishes made with homemade curry paste. They stand out to me because they are usually wonderful and very hard to find.

Serve authentic Thai food that has some balls and screw the middle of the road, vanilla lovin' whiners.

#6 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:You live to serve this ship<br />So serve well, and live<br />-Ben Hur

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:52 PM

I had been introduced to portlandfood.org by someone from yelp. He mentioned that portlandfood.org is much friendlier people compared other food communities.

Hi Richard, that was me that messaged you about PF.org.
Glad you decided to check it out, you should get a good amount of helpful feedback here.
Cheers,
Janis
Methinks I am like a man, who having struck on many shoals, and having narrowly escap'd shipwreck in passing a small frith, has yet the temerity to put out to sea in the same leaky weather-beaten vessel, and even carries his ambition so far as to think of compassing the globe under these disadvantageous circumstances-Hume

#7 BigDaddy

BigDaddy
  • Members
  • 811 posts
  • Interests:Poker, reading, disability rights, nonalcoholic beverages, longtime friend of Bill W.

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:36 PM

Khao Soi when I can find it. I usually order Pad Kee Mao with Chicken and ask for it hot to judge a place.

#8 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,591 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:08 PM

I'm apologize for my flippant response - I assumed at first this was a shill business post, but now once QV chimed in I realize I was just a dick. Sorry for being a dick.

I am a big fan of kai yang. Pok Pok really nails this with the marinade and execution. They are using game hens, but I feel this can be done with a 1/2 chicken or chicken parts. At a few other places I've been to, this dish doesn't feel appropriately marinated and executed, resulting in dry pieces/sections. But grilled lemongrass chicken, with a side of rice and sweet chili sauce? This is pure and simple comfort.

I'm also a fan of tart salads that feature hard-to-find fruits like green mango and pomelo (in addition to of course the easier to find green papaya option). This is the Vietnamese in me that shares Thai predilections.

On the perfunctory side, I appreciate a tart and spicy tom yum soup, made with prawns (no white meat chicken sliver, which is a terrible protein for this soup IMO). Paired with steamed jasmine rice, this is a great comfort dish as well.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. George Carlin

#9 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,044 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:46 PM

Khanom jiin
Hoi tod khanom krok
Yam som o
The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole & Kenny & Zuke's

#10 loofahgirl

loofahgirl
  • Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:49 AM

Another vote for tom yum soup.

#11 Jacob Grier

Jacob Grier
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:35 AM

I like a good Nam Prik Ong and don't see it on menus very often.

#12 RM

RM
  • Members
  • 565 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:56 PM

Tom Kha Gai (a coconut milk soup with chicken) and Gai Pad Krapow (stir-fried chicken with basil)

#13 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,044 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:48 PM

Chiang Mai had it on their menu for a long time. Not sure its current status. They do a good version. Red Onion may have it even if it's not on the menu.
The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

#14 ariel88

ariel88
  • Members
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:25 PM

Chiang Mai had it on their menu for a long time. Not sure its current status. They do a good version.

It's still available. It's the first dish (SP1) on their Northern Thai Specialties menu.

#15 Neven

Neven
  • Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:00 AM

Gang Hung Lay
Laab
Som Tam Gai Yang
Tod Man Khao Pod

(And here's a wiseguy answer: my favorite Thai entree is one I haven't had before!)

#16 Dan

Dan
  • Members
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:Spicy food and bacon.

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:57 AM

Kai yat sai (Thai omelet, haven't seen this on a menu in Portland, not sure if it would be a good seller)

Pla tod - the whole fish, deep fried, topped with fried garlic

#17 philthyanimal

philthyanimal
  • Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:53 AM

Mussel omelette

#18 jawper

jawper
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:09 PM

If anyone knows of a Thai restaurant in PDX that serves pomelo salad, please let me know.  I have tried 4 or 5 different versions in Singapore and Bangkok, but can't find them here.  I miss them, along with mango salad!

#19 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,044 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

That's the yam som o I mentioned above. Most of them are going to be made with grapefruit here, which just isn't the same. The pomelos aren't big enough to do the salad justice, I don't think.

#20 jawper

jawper
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

The pomelos are in season right now...I've gotten a few big ones from Fu Bonn.  I may have to try my own version at home!