No replies to this topic

#1 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,032 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:56 AM

Posted Image

The cemitas truck on Canyon in Beaverton just west of 217 discussed in this thread is not the same as the one from Hillsboro. The menu is much larger than the one in Hillsboro which really just focuses on cemitas. Here you have tacos and burritos on their basic menu, plus various other additions, like lamb barbacoa on weekends, and various extra antojitos on photo menus.

Posted Image

I started with a tlacoyo and picadita. The former, in the back of the picture, is a bean stuffed, thick torpedo-shaped tortilla, kind of like a pupusa. This was topped with a red salsa, some cheese, and lettuce. It was decent. None of the parts -- masa, salsa, or beans -- were especially good so it couldn't really be much better than those.

The picadita, basically and east/central/southern sope with simpler toppings, was a little better because the salsa was a little better.

Posted Image

I got a milanesa cemita. It was tasty enough, too, but not especially good. The one in Hillsboro was definitely tastier.

Posted Image

This one had the milanesa, lots of avocado, a nice queso oaxaca, papalo, grilled onions, and sweet peppers, I think. I don't know what's up with the bell pepper. Maybe they saw a gringo and thought he'd want bell peppers instead of the traditional chipotles. It was definitely lacking something to bind all the parts and enliven them. Maybe chipotles, especially if they were house-cooked in piloncillo, would have been enough and made this sandwich a lot better. Or maybe one of the more flavorful meat choices would have been better. Not sure. But this wasn't a good version of a cemita. Not a bad one either. Just lacking. Will try again when I have more time and see if I can get chipotles, etc, on the sandwich. Looking back at the Tepeaca version, it has crappy cheese and ham and still tasted better. Probably because of the layer of chipotle.

La Poblana
12925 SW Canyon Rd, Beaverton, OR
The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole & Kenny & Zuke's