Restaurants on 72nd? Foster?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 fatpuller

fatpuller
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:25 AM

I'm new to the Mt. Scott-Arleta neighborhood and have recently joined the neighborhood association. It's a community really trying to make that area more "livable" (whatever that actually means). I know the stretch of 72nd between Foster and Woodstock has Arleta Library Bakery and Cafe but other than that, we got nothin' (at least as far as I know) for past 2:30 eating. Is there any particular reason this might be the case? Is it just a case of not-yet rather than no way when it comes to a neighborhood like ours when people are thinking of setting up any kind of restaurant? I know the Mercado is set to go in at 72nd and Foster but even a bar with a nice selection and some (even decent) food would be awesome in that strip. Anyhow, I don't even know what I'm trying to figure out. Figured this is a food forum and I want food nearer me.

#2 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:09 AM

Have you tried Slingshot Lounge

Slingshot Lounge
5532 SE Center (55th & Foster/Center)
445-6649

Divey Bar with pretty good food & drink

#3 mymil

mymil
  • Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:25 PM

A couple blocks up Foster from Slingshot, I really like the lemongrass pork banh mi at An Xuyen.

An Xuyen
5345 Southeast Foster
Portland, OR 97206

#4 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,046 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:33 PM

I'm not sure why you're so focused on 72nd. It's not really a commercial street like 82nd or Foster. It's more like 50th, a thoroughfare with a few commercial storefronts, but more residential. I live near 72nd and Harold and am within 5 minutes by car of tons of places.
The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole & Kenny & Zuke's

#5 fatpuller

fatpuller
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:48 PM

I'm focused on it because it has passing similarities (in my mind) to the portions of Clinton Street that have taken off (where St. Jack is now located). Just curious what about the stretch might seem unappealing to a potential investor/restaurateur. I live on Harold just up a couple blocks and have an interest in the area because of that. That's why I put this in general discussion (why doesn't an area like 72nd have anything beyond a breakfast joint opening up) rather than Restaurants. I guess I'm more interested from a urban planning/design perspective or curiosity than anything. Basically, in a city like Portland where things are relatively close and easy to get to, why do so many restaurants open in the "core" (central-ly east side)?

#6 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,046 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:05 PM

1) The demographics of the immediate neighborhood.
2) The proximity to other neighborhoods with supportive demographics.
3) It's very different from Clinton in that there's no slow stretch.
4) Clinton has a historical neighborhood. The Clinton Street theater has been around since 1915. People have been going to that neighborhood to do stuff since at least then. That matters.

20 years from now, maybe, once Foster, Woodstock and Division expand outward and Powell becomes nicer. If any of this happens. There are still a lot of close-in neighborhoods that haven't finished gentrifying or commercializing. Lower Division is just peaking.
The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

#7 fatpuller

fatpuller
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:11 PM

That's actually the sort of detail I was asking about.

#8 mymil

mymil
  • Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:53 PM

Oh, I misunderstood. It's hard to think of any reasons Nick didn't cover...

In terms of demographic specifics (having lived near both the 72nd end and the 52nd end of Foster), the area seems to have more families with less money available to spend on eating out, fewer people without children and more money available to spend on eating out.

#9 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,046 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:35 PM

Oh, I misunderstood. It's hard to think of any reasons Nick didn't cover...

In terms of demographic specifics (having lived near both the 72nd end and the 52nd end of Foster), the area seems to have more families with less money available to spend on eating out, fewer people without children and more money available to spend on eating out.

And while it's clearly changing -- my block has several new houses all over 1800 square feet -- it's still an area with a lot of problems and an area with a lot of people with a lot of problems. The strip clubs and biker bars seem to do well, though.

#10 kenbareilles

kenbareilles
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:32 PM

I'm not even sure they do well. Queen of Hearts (72nd & Harold) closed recently. For what it's worth, the new owners of Space Monkey Coffee Shop, (they've been there for over a year, but pretty new still, have been adding some nice homemade baked stuff, and switched their coffee from the previously crappy brew to Cellar Door, which is a huge improvement.

#11 goodbyeohio

goodbyeohio
  • Members
  • 268 posts
  • Interests:food & beer

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:14 AM

I know you mentioned Arleta Library, but make sure you hit it up on Thursday for their Philly Cheesesteak special. They use whiz and it's really a properly done philly. Just skip the hot peppers, they make em in house (i think) and they have a weird taste (a bit phenolic perhaps?).
Cause I like to drink whiskey by the gallon, I live on peanut butter sandwiches, I don't care
GG Allin

#12 Perkeo

Perkeo
  • Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:32 AM

On Foster itself, the Gemini has some passable food (limited experience or I'd say more), O'malley's across the street has decent pizza, Bar Carlo is a damn good breakfast, and NWIPA has some nice, albeit limited, snacking options. I noticed that the dive bar next to O'malley's, Bob and Alice's, was sold recently, would be nice to see a good kitchen go in there. A FoPo boy can dream :)...

#13 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,046 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:01 PM

I always dream of the Maple Leaf going up for sale....

#14 fatpuller

fatpuller
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:01 PM

Oh man, Maple Leaf would make an awesome spot.

I've heard rumors someone bought Queen of Hearts from the previous owner. Good to know about Arleta Cafe and Philly Cheesesteak. I've also been curious about Gemini.

#15 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,046 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:41 PM

I'd be scared to have to fix up Queen of Hearts. I suspect in an old building like that, having had a bar for years... Yikes. They had a lot of biker bar competition in the last couple years along Foster. Good thing, though, is that now my wife can't hear the bikers revving their motorcycles at 2am on a Saturday night when she's trying to sleep.

#16 Perkeo

Perkeo
  • Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:34 PM

Was in NWIPA last night, they have a limited food offering but it does have some gems, I tried their meatball sandwich and found it to be quite good. Not a sub, it's on a square roll with nice, earthy/herbal pork balls in an interesting brownish sauce topped with tallegio, pickled peppers and fresh basil, accompanied with some more house pickled veggies, pretty good deal for 7 bucks. They also had a short rib sandwich with celery root and creme fraiche on baguette for 8, maybe next time.

I also was talking to a friend in the beer biz later and he said there are indeed plans being made for Bob and Alice's to be turned into something decent by reputable people, stay tuned!

#17 jmatt

jmatt
  • Members
  • 429 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:21 AM

Was in NWIPA last night, they have a limited food offering but it does have some gems, I tried their meatball sandwich and found it to be quite good. Not a sub, it's on a square roll with nice, earthy/herbal pork balls in an interesting brownish sauce topped with tallegio, pickled peppers and fresh basil, accompanied with some more house pickled veggies, pretty good deal for 7 bucks. They also had a short rib sandwich with celery root and creme fraiche on baguette for 8, maybe next time.

I also was talking to a friend in the beer biz later and he said there are indeed plans being made for Bob and Alice's to be turned into something decent by reputable people, stay tuned!

Oh my God that's so awesome! Another idiosyncratic dive bar replaced by a yet another cookie-cutter yuppie micro-shithole! How so fucking incredible! Keep Portland Weird--as long as "weird" doesn't mean anything that may be different from Portland's march to be the most homogenous city in the nation.

#18 Perkeo

Perkeo
  • Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:01 PM

Um, your hostility level is extremely rediculous. I liked the old Bob and Alice`s and if it had stayed the way it is I would have been happy. The former owners saw fit to sell. What the hell do you think is going to happen? I suppose you`d like it turned into a sports bar or Knucleheads too or another strip club, or something else that satisfies your "idiosyncratic dive-ometer"? Wow...you obviously don`t get out of town much, or much past yer mom`s apron strings i`d imagine!

#19 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,051 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:17 PM

Hey now, let's not get personal! jmatt might have been having a moment and over-reacted a bit, but that is no reason to disparage another member.

I understand what jmatt is getting at, but I mostly disagree.

Never made it into Bob & Alice's, but I like O'Malley's and the Slingshot and when I really want that idiosyncratic dive bar experience, well, nothing satisfies that quite like the Agenda. We are in no danger of losing all of our dive bars...there are a few further west on Foster, there are several on Powell (we love to shoot pool at the "Bucket" aka Bucket Brigade), some on 82nd...I wouldn't be too concerned.

But ya know, I like NWIPA, Roscoe's and Beer Bunker too..."micro" maybe, but they are all very different with very different vibes (IMO, not "cookie-cutter" at all).
Never give up! Never surrender!