Tamale family

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 fatpuller

fatpuller
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

I don't know if this qualifies as a cart or just a cooler but I picked up some pork tamales (6 for $5) last night outside New Seasons on Division. It was a mom, a little girl and young boy selling them from some coolers (or something they pulled behind them that was blue). I've seen the kid around those parts occasionally and was glad to see where he parked and sold. They were fresh last night but we had other food in hand (Thai from Chiang Mai--yum) so we instead ate them today. Dang. These were good. That is all. Grab if you see the kid around with a cooler in tow. Again, 6 for $5. Today I'm thankful for that family.

#2 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:48 PM

They roam the neighborhood pretty much every day. Just like in Mexico, the kids do the bulk of the selling for obvious marketing reasons. We buy them at MMM on occasion. I'd only give them a B, but they're cheap as hell, which makes them an excellent value. I'm sure at some point the city will crack down on them, so enjoy them while you can.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#3 goodbyeohio

goodbyeohio
  • Members
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:food & beer

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:57 PM

the older (mid-20's?) son comes in to our business twice a day selling them. ive had some off meat in the past so i stick with the cheese & jalapeno when ordering. im pretty sure they use string cheese sticks as the 'cheese' element. i think these are better on day 2 after a quick zap in the MW. if you're in NE, one of the older women in the family is usually camped out selling tamales from the bus stop on NE 15th by the entrance to the fremont whole foods during the late afternoon. i've also seen them more than once meet up at the bus stop by apizza scholls at the end of the day.
Cause I like to drink whiskey by the gallon, I live on peanut butter sandwiches, I don't care
GG Allin

#4 crepeguy

crepeguy
  • Members
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Purveyor of skinny pancakes.

Posted 13 December 2016 - 07:02 PM

I've tried their tamales before, the chicken and the pork, not bad. I used to think it was only a couple of ladies, but this seems like a substantial operation. They must have a central kitchen somewhere. They're outside Whole Foods every night, so they must do well. 

#5 crepeguy

crepeguy
  • Members
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Purveyor of skinny pancakes.

Posted 30 June 2017 - 09:09 AM

Here's a picture of my local Tamale Lady, Maria! https://instagram.com/p/BSb9axLApkJ/