Bitchin' to the Kitchen

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 sacman

sacman
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:FOOD

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:04 PM

This gets complicated in a hurry, and there's no pat answer. Can we assume the kitchen would agree that the food was bad? That it was cooked incorrectly? Would the kitchen care? Not all of them do. And is it "fair" to give a kitchen more than one chance?

I don't think the shishito comparison is apt. You can't tell a bitter pepper until you bite it; anybody can see how sad that steak was.

These days, if I go to a truly bad place, you'll rarely read about it. Bad publicity is still publicity, and I don't want my writeup and the restaurant to leave a bad taste in my mouth. So there's nothing malicious in what I write, although you'll have to take my word on that. It helps that I rarely go to a bad restaurant.

Don't you think it's curious how much discussion this steak has wrought? Without breaking a sweat, I can point to dozens of examples of equally harsh words on this board - even in the past couple days! - but they really didn't spark much of a discussion, did they?

-sacman
- I am an employee of a Portland-based firm that has business relationships with several local food-related businesses.

#22 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:You live to serve this ship<br />So serve well, and live<br />-Ben Hur

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:57 PM

QV,

I would have said something in that case, but there is a difference between something you couldn't know and something you shouldknow.. as is the case of the steak that started this debate.

I get that, but I was addressing the very broad sweeping statement that Angelhair made, not just the topic at large.
Methinks I am like a man, who having struck on many shoals, and having narrowly escap'd shipwreck in passing a small frith, has yet the temerity to put out to sea in the same leaky weather-beaten vessel, and even carries his ambition so far as to think of compassing the globe under these disadvantageous circumstances-Hume

#23 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:You live to serve this ship<br />So serve well, and live<br />-Ben Hur

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:58 PM

I almost never send anything back any more. Instead I seethe for a while and then post hateful things on the internet.

Almost every time I've send something back, I get that look from a server. You know, the eye-roll and the long exhale. Sometimes the server would bitch back, "that's the way it comes". Or I would send it back and then not receive a new plate until everyone else was done with their meal. I hate to be 'that person'. It ruins a meal worse than bad food. To tell you the truth, servers ASK if everything's OK, but most of the time they don't want to make it right if it isn't.

So now, I just don't eat it. If the server says something like, "was something wrong?" Then maybe I tell them. But often times, no, I just never return and bad mouth you to everyone I know.

The bottom line is this, chefs, it's your fucking kitchen. You know what you sent out. And if you don't, well, then you deserve to have an empty dining room.

This is what I responded to.. she said *never*.. followed by the last line which I thought was a bit much
Methinks I am like a man, who having struck on many shoals, and having narrowly escap'd shipwreck in passing a small frith, has yet the temerity to put out to sea in the same leaky weather-beaten vessel, and even carries his ambition so far as to think of compassing the globe under these disadvantageous circumstances-Hume

#24 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,259 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:04 PM

I almost never "complain" about anything at a restaurant. I just dont go back. If I do complain, it's usually at someplace I care a whole lot about and want to see them do well. In which case, I don't so much complain as much as I offer constructive feedback on something. But it has to be someplace that I feel genuinely wants the feedback.

I offered feedback about the bad desserts at DST the one time, and was told that that was the way it was supposed to be. Really? Ice cream is supposed to be mostly melted, chocolate sauce grainy? And so on? Once I got that answer, they were a restaurant I stopped caring about. Someone knew that steak wasn't cooked right and sent it out anyway. Or they didn't know. Whichever the case, complaining wasn't going to change anything so I didn't see the point.

As far as Nick's comments, I would never complain about not liking something that was clearly done well, but just not something that was up my alley. Sometimes an item here or there at Tanuki will be either too spicy or funky for me. But I know this going in and I also know that everything coming out of that kitchen is expertly prepared. I would never complain about something that's a matter of personal thresholds or tastes.

#25 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,658 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:26 PM

I regret using the hyperbole. You can tell just by reading my posts that I certainly don't disparage often on public forums.

But the truth of the matter is that I don't get to restaurants I love as much as often I want to, let alone those that might initially disappoint me.

However, when I am confronted with a plate that looks like the original steak frites that started this post, the thought certainly crosses my mind, SOMEONE cooked this and put it on a plate and served it and it looks like shit. This is not an oversight; not an unruly cut or whatever. How could one willingly serve that?! The guy that grilled that...how could you put that piece of shit like that on a plate and send it out?!