• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:04 PM

I really like the New Money, too. The hickory vermouth, which they infuse (I believe that's the process in this case?) in-house, adds wonderful smokey notes. And a couple cocktails, including a vieux carre, are on tap.

Yes, I think you're right. I found this site that lists the ingredients for the New Money as:
  • Four Roses Bourbon
  • Nardini Amaro
  • House-infused Hickory Vermouth
  • Bitters

There always seems to be one ingredient that I can never find in portland e.g. the Nardini Amaro, according to the OLCC. :(
--------------------
You cannot legislate compassion into your fellow man (or woman, as the case may be), but we should at least attempt to create a society in which each individual has the opportunity to realize his or her potential. If we meet our citizens' needs for Health Care and Education, everything else will take care of itself. --Me

#2 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:51 PM

I really like the New Money, too. The hickory vermouth, which they infuse (I believe that's the process in this case?) in-house, adds wonderful smokey notes. And a couple cocktails, including a vieux carre, are on tap.

Yes, I think you're right. I found this site that lists the ingredients for the New Money as:
  • Four Roses Bourbon
  • Nardini Amaro
  • Bitters

There always seems to be one ingredient that I can never find in portland e.g. the Nardini Amaro, according to the OLCC. :(

Nardini shows on the shelf at Hollywood Liquor @ NE 37th & Sandy (14 Bottles) and at the Liquor Store down on SW 1st & Lincoln (9 Bottles)

It's $52.60 for a liter bottle. Good stuff on it's own too.

1182 PORTLAND 3738 NE Sandy Blvd. 97232 503-284-0987 9-9 M-Th; 9-10 FS; Sun 12-6

1199 PORTLAND 2075 SW First Ave, Suite 1B 97201 503-241-9354 10-7 M-Th; 10-8 FS; 12-6 Sun

#3 Francine the Machine

Francine the Machine
  • Members
  • 435 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:46 PM

John-
I just happened to be doing some Scotch shoppin' on drinkupny.com and saw the Nardini on there - for cheaper than OLCC sells it for.
drinkupny

#4 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:18 AM

• Four Roses Bourbon
  • Nardini Amaro
  • Bitters

Nardini shows on the shelf at Hollywood Liquor @ NE 37th & Sandy (14 Bottles) and at the Liquor Store down on SW 1st & Lincoln (9 Bottles)

It's $52.60 for a liter bottle. Good stuff on it's own too.

1182 PORTLAND 3738 NE Sandy Blvd. 97232 503-284-0987 9-9 M-Th; 9-10 FS; Sun 12-6

1199 PORTLAND 2075 SW First Ave, Suite 1B 97201 503-241-9354 10-7 M-Th; 10-8 FS; 12-6 Sun

Thanks! Wow, it looks like putting together the ingredients for this drink would be quite spendy.
--------------------
You cannot legislate compassion into your fellow man (or woman, as the case may be), but we should at least attempt to create a society in which each individual has the opportunity to realize his or her potential. If we meet our citizens' needs for Health Care and Education, everything else will take care of itself. --Me

#5 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:21 AM

John-
I just happened to be doing some Scotch shoppin' on drinkupny.com and saw the Nardini on there - for cheaper than OLCC sells it for.
drinkupny

Wow! Actually, I didn't know you could mail order liquors here. Maybe now I'll be able to find that 'amaro nonino' that I enjoyed in a cocktail recently!
--------------------

#6 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:You live to serve this ship<br />So serve well, and live<br />-Ben Hur

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:15 AM

Wow! Actually, I didn't know you could mail order liquors here. Maybe now I'll be able to find that 'amaro nonino' that I enjoyed in a cocktail recently!

I got one at Pearl Specialty, try them.
Methinks I am like a man, who having struck on many shoals, and having narrowly escap'd shipwreck in passing a small frith, has yet the temerity to put out to sea in the same leaky weather-beaten vessel, and even carries his ambition so far as to think of compassing the globe under these disadvantageous circumstances-Hume

#7 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,538 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:49 AM

John-
drinkupny

Man I miss the days when DUNY had free shipping on orders over $99. I wonder if you called them if they'd waive shipping over a certain order amount.

#8 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:07 PM

I got one at Pearl Specialty, try them.

Yeah, they're the first ones I called. They said they'd probably get more in but that was 3 months ago and no luck yet. It's true, I don't know the double-super-secret password, so... ;)
--------------------

#9 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:You live to serve this ship<br />So serve well, and live<br />-Ben Hur

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:09 PM

Yeah, they're the first ones I called. They said they'd probably get more in but that was 3 months ago and no luck yet. It's true, I don't know the double-super-secret password, so... ;)

I'd hook you up with the password if I had one but I got mine there over a year ago so I guess my response is past expiration date, gomen nasai.
Methinks I am like a man, who having struck on many shoals, and having narrowly escap'd shipwreck in passing a small frith, has yet the temerity to put out to sea in the same leaky weather-beaten vessel, and even carries his ambition so far as to think of compassing the globe under these disadvantageous circumstances-Hume

#10 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:18 PM

John-
drinkupny

Man I miss the days when DUNY had free shipping on orders over $99. I wonder if you called them if they'd waive shipping over a certain order amount.

I did a quick test with their shopping cart. Added a 1 L bottle and the ground shipping cost was $16, for 2/3 bottles, it was $19, 4/5/6 bottles $22, ; so, I guess the per item shipping cost goes way down with multiple bottles.
--------------------

#11 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,538 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:53 PM

You might try Hyland Hills (corner of Murray and Allen in Beaverton). They've got a lot of liqueurs on the shelf. One of the best stores in the state for sure.

#12 nate

nate
  • Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:04 AM

This what you're looking for?

Posted Image

That's on the shelf at the Sellwood/Moreland liquor store. It also appears to be at the 1st Ave shop downtown.

For those who don't know, the ONE thing that doesn't suck about the OLCC is this site: http://oregonliquorsearch.com

#13 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,021 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:03 PM

For those who don't know, the ONE thing that doesn't suck about the OLCC is this site: http://oregonliquorsearch.com

Amen!

And you can set up automatic e-mails to tell you when the new license applications list and the monthly specials lists come out...and they provide you with the link in the e-mail.
Never give up! Never surrender!

#14 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,021 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:05 PM

Amen!

And you can set up automatic e-mails to tell you when the new license applications list and the monthly specials lists come out...and they provide you with the link in the e-mail.

Just an FYI: the search feature is OFTEN wrong. I'd say the most common fault is that it doesn't show something that is in stock somewhere.
The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole & Kenny & Zuke's

#15 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:16 PM

Amen!

Just an FYI: the search feature is OFTEN wrong. I'd say the most common fault is that it doesn't show something that is in stock somewhere.

Search Features biggest flaw in my opinion is that not all of the local stores are listed for some reason. Two that come to mind are Rose City and Uptown.

As with many things OLCC life is a crapshoot; I've actually found it to be pretty accurate at listing things in stock, but if they're special order items they can hide them in the back for their bars and restaurants and don't have to sell it to you. It's always best to call ahead if you're looking for something in particular.

Edited to add - Nick, are you referring to obscure Tequilas in your "OFTEN wrong" opinion? I have to confess that most of the things I'm looking for are probably more mainstream. I also find that it's best to search for something by name, rather than category.

#16 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,021 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:06 PM

Edited to add - Nick, are you referring to obscure Tequilas in your "OFTEN wrong" opinion? I have to confess that most of the things I'm looking for are probably more mainstream. I also find that it's best to search for something by name, rather than category.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "obscure". I'll often go to a place, know exactly what was on the shelf, go back to the restaurant, want to look up the price, and it won't show up. And these aren't special order items, but things that are available at more than one store, sometimes, and restocked when they run out. But I'm also looking at just one thing, tequila, primarily, so I'll be looking at more breadth. I'm sure it's more accurate if you're just wondering who has Maker's Mark and Hornitos.
The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole & Kenny & Zuke's

#17 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:27 PM

I guess it depends on what you mean by "obscure". I'll often go to a place, know exactly what was on the shelf, go back to the restaurant, want to look up the price, and it won't show up. And these aren't special order items, but things that are available at more than one store, sometimes, and restocked when they run out. But I'm also looking at just one thing, tequila, primarily, so I'll be looking at more breadth. I'm sure it's more accurate if you're just wondering who has Maker's Mark and Hornitos.

I'm generally looking for the road less traveled in Rye, Gin, Liqueurs and other things like Amari etc.

Just out of curiosity - have you tried their special order process? The liquor stores seem to be getting more interesting and formerly obscure to Oregon products, but I haven't heard much about Bars, Restaurants or even Consumers special ordering a product.

So have you become a Tequila fan or is it all in the order of making Mi Mole Mero a Tequila destination?

#18 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:04 PM

This what you're looking for?

Posted Image

That's on the shelf at the Sellwood/Moreland liquor store. It also appears to be at the 1st Ave shop downtown.

Damn! It sure is! Thanks very much for finding that.

BTW, if you do a search for 'amaro nonino' this doesn't come up, as of the last few minutes. I've been checking for weeks now.
--------------------

#19 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,021 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:31 PM

It's all in how it was entered and how one searches for it:

http://www.oregonliq...emDisplay=8374B

As soon as I saw the pic, I thought, I'll bet it is under Quintessentia...and it is!

Cheers!
Never give up! Never surrender!

#20 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:02 PM

It's all in how it was entered and how one searches for it:

http://www.oregonliq...emDisplay=8374B

As soon as I saw the pic, I thought, I'll bet it is under Quintessentia...and it is!

Cheers!

Oh Wow! That's some good database programming there... #embarrassing
--------------------