165 replies to this topic

#161 sacman

sacman
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:FOOD

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:46 PM

Pix coming later tonight...

-sacman

- I am an employee of a Portland-based firm that has business relationships with several local food-related businesses.

#162 sacman

sacman
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:FOOD

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:34 PM

Hey, dudes.  Here are the pix, as promised.

IMG_8031.JPG

Each table was provided with a tray of chips and house salsa.

IMG_8038.JPG

Sopa de Lentajes - a lentil soup with butternut squash and apple.

IMG_8040.JPG

Chiles Rellenos.  One was stuffed with moronga (blood sausage, I think), another stuffed with potato and chorizo.

IMG_8041.JPG

Chamorros de Res.  Beef shanks braised in tomatillo and chile pasilla negro sauce with potatoes, cactus, and fried sweetbreads.

IMG_8045.JPG

Another angle on the Chamorros.

IMG_8049.JPG

For dessert: Cool Moon coconut ice cream with lime syrup and a coconut macaroon.

My thoughts: everything was very, very good - although the dessert wasn't my thing.  I eat at MMM a lot, so I guess I'm "used' to the general excellent quality of food coming out of the kitchen.  One thought struck me: I've never eaten a thing from MMM that wasn't exactly, perfectly seasoned.  This was most apparent in this meal in the soup.  For some reason, a lot of kitchens tend to go too light on the salt in soups, which is a mistake, I think.  But this was excellent, and I also appreciated that the squash wasn't cooked into mush.

As good as the soup was, it wasn't my favorite.  That'd be the sweetbreads.  The Chamorros was, honestly, not the most appetizing-looking dish I've ever seen.  Brown, though, usually means flavor; this was loaded with it.  And the sweetbreads were perfectly cooked.  Awesome.

Some people mentioned the spiciness of the chile rellenos.  For me, it was a sweaty non-problem.

And - oh, yeah.  I got a few leftovers in my fridge.  I'll have a nice, sweaty lunch tomorrow.

Many thanks to Jill and Nick for putting this together.

-sacman

- I am an employee of a Portland-based firm that has business relationships with several local food-related businesses.

#163 tsw51

tsw51
  • Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

Ugh, so bummed I missed this!! Gotta make a trip to MMM soon...

Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not. - The Lorax

#164 octrvlr

octrvlr
  • Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:15 PM

Just had my leftovers for lunch yesterday while I was holding an open house at a very cold, vacant house.  Lucky for me it had a microwave!  Yummy!  Thanks to Jill and Nick for making this event happen.  Very fun!  My husband, who loves Mexican and all thing meat, loved the beef shanks.  He's usually not a squash person but also enjoyed the butternut squash in the sopas.  (Note to self.  Put it in a soup and flavor it right and I can get him to eat squash. Thanks, Nick!)  He was sorry to learn these are not usual menu items.  My favorite was the Anaheim chili.  Perfect combo of flavors and texture.  Delish!  We will be back!!  Thanks again Nick & Jill!

#165 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:54 PM

We smoked some beef and braised it until fall apart tender in that same sauce as the shanks for this week. I was having a hard time not stuffing myself silly on it. Pablo kept going back and getting some even though he's not technically supposed to eat beef, too.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#166 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

We smoked some beef and braised it until fall apart tender in that same sauce as the shanks for this week. I was having a hard time not stuffing myself silly on it. Pablo kept going back and getting some even though he's not technically supposed to eat beef, too.

I keep missing out on all these special items!  Sigh.