Photo

PFG.org 9th Anniv. Dinner 2/4/13 @ 7pm

• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

#1 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,014 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:48 AM

OK, I have arranged this dinner several years in a row. I am definitely open to someone else doing it this year. I am not making a stand and threatening not to do it, but really, it would be nice if someone else could do it this year.

Here's a bit about what we usually do to refresh your memories.

It is almost always an arranged meal for a set price at a restaurant. The first week of December has been a popular time for it. (Since it is near the time of year a lot of businesses do holiday parties, it is always best to start the process sooner rather than later.) We usually choose a weeknight because they are less busy at almost any restaurant, and we almost never do a buy-out because most places charge too much for us to do that. Last year Otto decided to have us there on a night they are usually not open for business, that was their choice, though.

We traditionally go to a place that can accomodate a larger group and try to keep the price reasonable (as in lower than $50pp without drinks). In some years there has been optional wine pairings arranged. Some years it has cost less, some years it has cost more.

If you decide you want to be the one to plan it, you can be the one to determine how much input from the membership you ask for and how it is arranged, etc.

I have a few ideas that might lend themselves to a larger group at the (somewhat) lower price end:

Boke Bowl, PaaDee, Smallwares...and there's always Mi Mero Mole to guarantee that Zukin will actually show up to this event this year. ;o)

In any case, here is the thread for the conversation and planning for the event...
Never give up! Never surrender!

#2 sacman

sacman
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:FOOD

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:59 AM

FFS, I can't see any reason why we shouldn't have it at Mi Mero Mole!

Assuming Nick's down with it, of course.

-sacman
- I am an employee of a Portland-based firm that has business relationships with several local food-related businesses.

#3 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,004 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:47 PM

That could be fun. I'm going to be in Mexico from December 10th to the 17th. Monday, December 3rd, we're going to do our special "Christmas" dinner.

I don't know if people would be interested in coming in on a normal day or having the place to themselves. Monday is the only day we're closed, so if it was a Monday, it couldn't be the 3rd, 10th, 17th, or 24th. I can't imagine most would want something the 31st. (Though, I got nothing to do.) So, if you wanted something special and the house to yourself, January might be better.

If you guys wanted to do it on a Sunday afternoon, I could prepare something special in addition to the normal menu, most likely.
The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole & Kenny & Zuke's

#4 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,586 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:25 PM

Monday, December 3rd, we're going to do our special "Christmas" dinner.

I'm glad to see that you're doing it again. That was great last year! Table for two, please.

#5 ducky

ducky
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:38 AM

Monday, December 3rd, we're going to do our special "Christmas" dinner.

I'm glad to see that you're doing it again. That was great last year! Table for two, please.

Same here. Table for two.
Pamela

Eating is not merely a material pleasure. Eating well gives a spectacular joy to life
and contributes immensely to goodwill and happy companionship.
It is of great importance to the morale.

-Elsa Schiaparelli

(Avatar is the cover of Sunlight Cafe by Mollie Katzen)

#6 loofahgirl

loofahgirl
  • Members
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:21 AM

I would be totally fine waiting until January, but I'd love it if it were before the 20th of January.

But if we do something in December (in addition?), I'd love to check out Smallwares.

My 2 cents.

#7 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:59 AM

Do we need to split this off? I know Nick is taking reservations for upcoming events through his website.(If not, my apologies) Personally I'd love to be a part of a special PF menu at MMM either December or January.

#8 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,014 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:22 AM

That could be fun. I'm going to be in Mexico from December 10th to the 17th. Monday, December 3rd, we're going to do our special "Christmas" dinner.

I don't know if people would be interested in coming in on a normal day or having the place to themselves. Monday is the only day we're closed, so if it was a Monday, it couldn't be the 3rd, 10th, 17th, or 24th. I can't imagine most would want something the 31st. (Though, I got nothing to do.) So, if you wanted something special and the house to yourself, January might be better.

If you guys wanted to do it on a Sunday afternoon, I could prepare something special in addition to the normal menu, most likely.

Well, we could do it on Sunday 12/9...I'm guessing that Sunday 12/2 might be difficult with the dinner on the 3rd...but I have no problem with Jan. 6th or 7th (Sun., Mon.)

#9 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,014 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:41 AM

Just so you know folks, this is a thread for the PFG.org anniversary dinner, you should probably contact Zuke via message or via the MMM thread to reserve seats for his 12/3 Xmas dinner if you want to be sure you get a reservation.

Thanks! ;o)

#10 loofahgirl

loofahgirl
  • Members
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:45 PM

MMM on Sunday the 9th in the afternoon would work for me. Is that what we're talking about?

#11 craig

craig
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:08 AM

If we do MMM, I'd vote for a January Monday. I'm up for most anything but I do love MMM.
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." -- Mark Twain

#12 friedalighthouse

friedalighthouse
  • Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:44 AM

I hope this idea doesn't fizzle out. The dinners are so much fun! I'm up for any of the December dates mentioned, and January would be okay, too.

#13 sacman

sacman
  • 684 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:19 AM

I'm in on any of the dates mentioned. But the sooner we nail it down, the better, because obviously this time of year the schedule fills up.

-sacman
- I am an employee of a Portland-based firm that has business relationships with several local food-related businesses.

#14 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,014 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:57 PM

OK, preliminary decisions have been made, more info as it becomes available.

The PFG 9th Anniversary Dinner will be at Mi Mero Mole this year!

It will be held on Monday January 7th (time TBD - either 6:30 or 7 is most likely). We will have space available for 30.

We are looking at $20pp, plus tips and drinks. Nick Zukin has graciously offered a 25% discount on booze for us!

We are figuring out menus - don't know if this is going to be more family-style or plated courses, or a combo. I am sure that there will be meat and meatless food - but until the menu is decided, I can't tell you how it will work out. I trust the guy that runs the place, you all should too. ;o)

I'm in with a +1...anyone else?

Let the list begin:

Jill-O +1
friedalighthouse +1
tammi +1
sacman +1
loofahgirl +1
vj

#15 friedalighthouse

friedalighthouse
  • Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:05 PM

I'm in with a +1!

#16 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:13 PM

In +1

#17 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,004 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:01 PM

There will be meat and non-meat. If veggies join up, I'll make some veg versions of stuff available. I'm not quite sure what to make yet, but something special, for sure that we can't normally put on the menu. I was up til 8am working on pan de muerto and back awake again at 11am, so my brain is a little fuzzy. But after this weekend, Pablo and I can think more about what to make. Whether it's family style or courses, it'll be a fixed menu. Probably be a mix.
The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole & Kenny & Zuke's

#18 sacman

sacman
  • 684 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:37 PM

In +1.

I'll do photo duty again.

-sacman

#19 loofahgirl

loofahgirl
  • Members
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:46 PM

In + 1.

#20 vj

vj
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:25 PM

In, +0