Country pate

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jmatt

jmatt
  • Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:54 PM

Just curious here----went to a popular bar recently and had their version of a pate. I'd expected something room temp and spreadable, but was presented with a slice of something more akin to headcheese (and a poorly made one at that)---it was hard and overcooked and filled with gristle, not to mention being totally tasteless. Is it me, or am I mistaken thinking that something described as pate is something meant to be soft and able to be spread?

#2 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,700 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:10 AM

Good Country Pate or Pate de Campagne should be like a really high class meatloaf served chilled. Doesn't sound like the one you had was a good attempt.

I think that what are often called pate are actually mousse - typically liver of some sort and spreadable usually due to a high fat content and a very fine texture.

#3 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:43 AM

A good point of reference to try would be the Country Pate at Chop. They're more than happy to give you a taste. To give you an idea of what it looks like, here is a link to a photo of their Country Pate in one of their sandwiches.

Posted Image
DSC03359 by jperrella1, on Flickr

#4 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:25 AM

Posted Image

Jennifer, I went to that page:

-clicked on Actions,
-selected View All Sizes
-clicked on the choice that was "Meduim 500"
-right clicked on "Download the Medium 500 Size of this Photo"
-selected "Copy Shortcut"
-came back here and clicked on the "Insert Image" icon (between the envelope and chain links)
-pasted that shortcut into the box "insert image" opened for me
-clicked on "Insert Image"

That way you can have Flickr size the pics for you...
Never give up! Never surrender!

#5 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,700 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:52 PM

A good point of reference to try would be the Country Pate at Chop. They're more than happy to give you a taste. To give you an idea of what it looks like, here is a link to a photo of their Country Pate in one of their sandwiches.

Posted Image
DSC03359 by jperrella1, on Flickr

Now I wish I stopped at Chop instead of driving by it this afternoon - Damn that looks good :wub: - especially in the larger picture!

#6 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:You live to serve this ship<br />So serve well, and live<br />-Ben Hur

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:34 AM

Just curious here----went to a popular bar recently and had their version of a pate. I'd expected something room temp and spreadable, but was presented with a slice of something more akin to headcheese (and a poorly made one at that)---it was hard and overcooked and filled with gristle, not to mention being totally tasteless. Is it me, or am I mistaken thinking that something described as pate is something meant to be soft and able to be spread?

As others have noted country pate is more like a cold meatloaf, chunky and coarse.
What you are describing is a mousse style pate.
Methinks I am like a man, who having struck on many shoals, and having narrowly escap'd shipwreck in passing a small frith, has yet the temerity to put out to sea in the same leaky weather-beaten vessel, and even carries his ambition so far as to think of compassing the globe under these disadvantageous circumstances-Hume