The Fireside Grill

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:58 PM

In full disclosure I've known the owner for a long time, and he's an amazing guy and one of the greatest people I've ever known.

That said, he's redone this space in a fantastic way and it looks fantastic and has a great large patio area as well. He's got 20 beers on tap, with some good local brews on tap. Double Mountain IRA and Vaporizer, Fort George Quick Wit, Rasputin Imperial Stout, it's a good selection.

Despite being a bar, the food shines as well, everything made in house except the bread. Sandwiches, burgers, steaks.. the reuben is money with housemade corned beef, kraut and russian. Much better than typical bar food, it's actual food.

If you're on the West side looking to give a place a try, give this place a shot. It's a labor of love, and it shows.

Get the house-made chips, you'll thank me.

Open Lunch & Dinner 7 days a week. No kids, it's a bar.

8136 SW Hall Blvd
Beaverton, OR 97008
(503) 747-4661

#2 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:36 AM

Somehow you don't come off as a shill with the full disclosure and it not being your first post. :w00t:

It looks worth trying the next time I'm out that way.

Thanks for the heads up.

#3 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:53 AM

Interesting. What are the prices like? That's a weird no man's land between Beaverton and Tigard. Is the location formerly home of Cafe Ssaday? Down the strip mall from Banya?

I'll check it out soon.

#4 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:11 PM

Yeah, I thought twice about trying to pimp a buddies place.

Full pints of beer on tap are $4.75. Sandwiches are under $10.. burgers around the same. The ribeye I believe tops the charts at $19 (comes with sides). I don't have a menu on hand so it's from memory, but I know the ribeye and beer prices are correct as of a few days ago. It's pretty much all made in house, it's not your typical crap bar food that's for damn sure.

It used to be the old McMenamins spot.. pretty much just across from Albertson's on Hall in the little strip mall with Si Senor and 7-11. Flynn nailed it, as it's in that same strip as Banya. It's on the western part of the strip behind 7-11. Pretty much no man's land for food, and when I asked him why he wanted to stay out that way it's because he said the area lacked decent food and a place to take a date at night... and he's correct about that.

I wouldn't shill the place if it wasn't good, and my wife took some co-workers in yesterday and they all enjoyed it. Patio is great at night, he's got this bitchin' table with flames in the middle.

#5 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:08 PM

Yeah, I thought twice about trying to pimp a buddies place.

Personally, I dig this kind of rec. Insider info from a reputable source about why a place is good? That works for me any day.

Pretty much no man's land for food, and when I asked him why he wanted to stay out that way it's because he said the area lacked decent food and a place to take a date at night... and he's correct about that.

Agreed. When I can't talk people into Bavarian Sausage Kitchen, Korean or Japanese out that way (i.e. when someone wants real beer/cocktails or "somewhere nice"), I'm pretty much fucked. It comes down to the tornado of vinegar and water that is Thirsty Lion/Gustav's, or driving down into Beaverton for Decarli, Mingo or Hall St. I like Mingo and Decarli, but I hate throwing money at Hall St.

The patio is a bonus.

#6 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:38 AM

He posted the menu up on Facebook, here it is:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 rewdpost

rewdpost
  • Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:20 PM

Stopped by for lunch yesterday and had a pretty good meal. The burgers were well cooked and probably some of the better ones we've had on this side of town. A few minor issues, but nothing that would stop us from going back. Some of the chips were under-fried and were basically just potatoes. The sauce was really good but we would probably order some extra next time.
Our buns weren't toasted but my wife preferred that so it was a mixed opinion.

I think it's been mentioned a few times, but the burger is huge. That didn't stop me from finishing it, but the burger and chips made for a pretty hefty meal.

Service was basic, but attentive enough considering there were only 4 other people eating and one person working the bar/dining room.

While we never would have found this place on our own it's at the top of the short-list for meals when we're around Washington Square now. My wife works in the area and I expect she'll be taking co-workers there for lunches too. It sounds like you can get most of the menu to-go.

I'm not sure if this sounds as positive as it should. We'll be back for sure though regardless of any little hiccups we may have run into.

#8 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:42 PM

Thanks for trying it, that gorgonzola sauce they put on the chips is fantastic.

I wish I had snapped a pic of the burger, it's great.

#9 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:00 AM

Finally checked it out. And by finally, I mean I had tried to stop in like three times but it was packed to the gills. My experience was a mixed bag, but it was a Friday night during rush hour, so that's a tough spot for a tryout. They were packed and there were people waiting.

Basic thoughts:

-The bar program is solid. They've got a nice whiskey lineup, a good range of taps (Breakside!), and can make a proper cocktail. More or less, there are only a few places on the westside that can make a legit craft cocktail (here, decarli, Mingo).

-The ribeye is good, and a nice value at $19. Fried onions are a tasty addition to just about anything. Nice side of fresh green beans as well.

-The smoked cheddar mac'n'cheese should be removed from the menu with extreme prejudice. It lacked all semblance of smoked cheddarness. 

-Food was slow coming out.

-The patio, while not functional right now, will definitely be nice in the summer

-If you want to watch sports, they've got a few TVs.

I was hoping for a nice upgrade from say, Thirsty Lion, which it is. Unfortunately for me, they're very busy. Good for them.

#10 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:14 PM

Thanks for stopping by Flynn.    Never tried the mac, so can't speak to it.    And even though the owner is a good friend, I don't get out to the westside much.. my wife hits it up considerably more than me for lunch since she works in Tualatin and it's a short drive.

The patio is money during nice weather, as it's not a big spot inside.

The tap list is solid, and he knows his way around liquor.    Of course at this point he doesn't really need me pimping his place, he's doing pretty good business now.

#11 MarshMan

MarshMan
  • Members
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Wine, Food, Music

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:19 PM

Went there a few weeks back with a co-worker and thought the burger was damn good, better than a lot of places in town, frankly.  Good, beefy flavor, nice bun, cooked true med-rare as asked.  I'm not in that area very often, but would definitely return and thought it was a bit of a hidden gem if the burger was an indication of all of the food.

#12 Kristi

Kristi
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:16 PM

We went last Friday. They pour a rather hefty glass of wine and the service was good and friendly. We each had a salad and I had the filet mignon and my husband had the ribeye. Both steaks were very good but as Flynn pointed out, the ribeye was a great deal at $19. We then split the brownie with ice cream. All-in-all, we were both pleased and will be back. I think we're going back tomorrow night, in fact! 

#13 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:40 PM

I just killed his last bottle of Pappy 12yr, he still had a little 15yr I believe.

I'm jealous that this place isn't closer.    

#14 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:40 AM

Nice. I just finished the last of the William LaRue Weller at Whiskey Soda Lounge. We're like locusts.

I'll be stopping back here soon to try the burger out.

#15 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:55 PM

I think he's doing a smaller so burger these days as well as the full size.    

#16 JimProuty

JimProuty
  • Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:06 PM

I went recently for a Friday lunch, and while the food was quite good, we did wait overlong for it to arrive. I think the kitchen is too small for the number of patrons the restaurant seats.

#17 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:38 AM

That's not even a question, it's an outright true statement... you can see the whole kitchen.. and it's tiny.      It's also one of the (multiple) reasons it's a bar, not a restaurant.    

The foods good, and Dave's the best bartender on the West Side... but I'm biased.      If I lived over there I'd hit it up more often.  

#18 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 07:26 PM

BTW, the owner of this place is opening a new restaurant off of Cedar Hills and Westgate, called the Westgate Bourbon Bar and Taphouse.     Soft opening right now, and his whiskey lineup is out of this world.

This one is a restaurant though, not a bar.      

https://www.facebook.com/TheWestgate/

#19 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 08:49 PM

I'll go, but there's no way I'm making it a regular thing with this ridiculous-ass beer list: https://www.yelp.com...DxMB8eia594CBng

The line must be drawn somewhere and I'm fucking drawing it at $6.75 pints of Breakside/Pfriem IPA.

#20 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 08:55 PM

I feel ya man.    I'm not drinking almost 7 dollar beers either.